Display problem after upgrading to Windows 10

Not 100% sure, but I think my problem has started after installing the cumulative Windows 10 update because right after upgrading to Windows 10 it was working fine. At first, I could neither re-size or minimize the window to the taskbar. Now, I can minimize to taskbar, but I can not re-size the window. The little arrows come up at the edge of the window but they are useless.

Something that is very strange is that the only two items I am having this window size trouble with are Malwarebytes and Emsisoft.  

I Googled this and the result was that I checked to make sure the computer isn't running in tablet mode. It isn't the end of the world, but if someone is aware of the problem and has a fix I'd rather be able to re-size and make the window smaller when I open it.

Thank you.

Hi, @Nikilet:

Your forum signature says "Vista", but I presume you are on Win10?

When you say "Cumulative Update" is that the recent cumulative update for version 1511, or are you talking about the recent "Anniversary Update" (aka version 1607, aka Redstone 1)?

Or is this a clean install of Windows 10 (since there was no free upgrade path from Vista to 10)?

In any event....

Needless to say, we aren't experts in Emsisoft matters, but for MBAM, it's possible that the recent update may have subtly broken something in MBAM.
OS upgrades can do that.

Let's try this first:

Please carefully follow ALL the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Edited by daledoc1
clarify

I did a clean install of Windows 7 on this computer, then upgraded to Windows 10. The update I'm referring to would be cumulative for 1511. I uninstalled and then reinstalled using the instructions at the link you gave and it made no difference. I still can't resize mbam's window. 

I ran the compatibility troubleshooter and it says that this program is incompatible. I'm sure that's not right but there is something wrong here.

mbam incompatible.PNG

Hi:

Thanks for the info.  Yes, the compatibility issue is definitely NOT right.  MBAM is of course compatible with Vista, 7 and 10.  That is probably a separate issue from the GUI-resizing problem.

The fact that you are having similar issues with another program suggests that the issue is with your system, not the software itself.  MBAM 2.2.1.1043 and Windows10 have been in release for a while and I do not recall seeing these 2 issues reported here in the forum, even after the Win10 AU (1607).

A few more, basic questions:

• Is this a laptop or a desktop?
  • Are you using non-default display settings from the Windows Control Panel?
  • Do you have the most current video drivers for the system?
  • Did you install MBAM from a Windows Admin account?

We'll definitely need to escalate this to more expert helpers to try to sort these 2 issues.

For starters, please read this pinned topic: Diagnostic Logs
Then please ATTACH all 3 logs to your next reply (FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

I suspect additional data and deeper work will be needed, but those 3 logs will provide a good start.

Thanks,

This is a desktop. 

I'm not sure what you mean by non-default display settings. I'm using the recommended resolution.

I have the most recent video driver for my system. When I upgraded it automatically installed "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." 

The account that I am working out of is called an administrator account. 

I have attached the two files from FRST.exe, but something has gone wrong with that mbam-check. The command box never shut down, but there was a file on my desktop. When I tried to attach it I get a message that "1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 30,000mb and was skipped." I'm going to restart and then try and run that one again. When do I know that mbam-check-2.3.2.0.exe is finished running?

admn acct.PNG

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Hi:

That's odd, too. CheckResults.txt logs are usually only 20-40 KB (not MB).  There should be no problem uploading it.

So I'm not sure what's going on.

Please sit tight for now. I've asked our forum Root Admin to assist you.

Please be patient until he can respond.

Thank you again.

• Root Admin

I don't see any real malware on the system in the logs. We can do some generic cleanup but I would not expect it to find or remove much that would improve performance.

Microsoft did release another update to fix other update issues reported. You could type in the search for UPDATE and then click on the Windows Update Settings and check for updates. Then let if find, download, and install the updates and reboot to see if that helps or not. Give it time for the updates and don't try to immediately run programs as it will still be finalizing updates in the background silently. Then after maybe 10 minutes go ahead and restart the computer again and now check it out and see if things are better or not.

Might want to try a clean removal and reinstall of MBAM as well. We've had quite a few reports where updates to Windows 10 has caused problems running MBAM.

Once all Windows updates are done.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Let us know how that goes please.

Thanks

Ron

Finally! i could not click in here and reply.

Anyway, what did daledoc1 mean when he said, " Lots of stuff "not quite right" here." ? 

I think my problem is caused by my system rather than mbam, but I am concerned tht daledoc1 seemed to think there were problems that needed to be escalated up to you.

• Root Admin

That's pretty much what @daledoc1 meant. The installation of Windows 10 has issues, it's not up to date where it should be as Microsoft now automatically updates Windows, yet you're still on a couple builds back.

If you're really having issues I'd probably look at rolling back to your previous version of Windows, cleaning it up and making sure everything is working well. Then once you no longer have any errors or issues in your Event Logs, look at upgrading to Windows 10 again. That, or if you can, backup all your data and then format the drive and do a clean installation of Windows 10.

In either case, yes, you're correct that Windows 10 is the issue here, not an infection. Often times upgrading an OS is going to be difficult and bring the bad issues of your last OS into the new upgraded OS.

I can't roll back. But I had no issues with my PC prior to updating. It was running and performing like a new computer (had been since I did the clean install of Windows 7 back in April). In fact, in addition to running security scans with mbam and a2, I ran the sfc /scannow and check disk prior to upgrading to 10. I have increased the resolution and that has made a huge difference in some areas that I like, in other areas that I don't like so much. But I can live with it. 

• Root Admin

You can try running an mbam-clean removal and reinstall of MBAM to see if that helps any.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If that does not help, then let me know and be more specific as to what issues you still have after the mbam-clean removal and reinstall.

Thank you

I've just recently done the uninstall/reinstall thing. I've decided the issue I have right now really isn't a big deal. More of an annoyance, and I can live with it. Thanks for all your help and advice. I may have an issue on my laptop running Windows 10. I'll have to check it out further but it appeared that my scans have not been running. I will open a new post for that if needed.