[RESOLVED] New Forum User Question

Hi,

I just joined here and assume that the "Create" button at the top is how you start posting here:  temp.delete 2.png

So I click it, and this is what shows:  temp.delete.png

I assumed information about posting within these forums would show, but this is as far as it goes.  Clicking "OK" just closes the pop-up.

1. Is this normal, or am I experiencing an error?
  2. Do you have a guide for new users? (not the forum "Guidelines" or rules - more a help section for beginners on how to use this forum)

(I realize that going into specific forum topics will reveal the "Start new topic" button)

Thank you

I tried to edit my above post, but it wouldn't allow me to.  It said it was either deleted or moved or too much time had passed.  Only 3 minutes had passed between hitting the "Submit" button and the "Edit" button.  I didn't want to add another post, I just wanted to add a number 3. question on one post, plus fix grammar.

Since it wouldn't allow me, my third question is:

Is there a preview button before actually submitting a post? (now that I've discovered I can't edit after hitting "Submit" I doubly would like to know).

I think I really need those help pages on how to use this forum.  I've already messed up without meaning to.  I wouldn't want to unintentionally do anything wrong because I just didn't know better and had to go by 'trial and error.'

Hi Anew :)

This looks like a bug with the forum software because I can reproduce it. To start a thread on Malwarebytes, simply go in the section you wish to post your thread in, and click on the Start new topic button in the top-right corner.

OWoerxC.png

You'll be able to start a new thread that way. As for your section question, I think new users have a limited edit time, or not at all (which means, once you post, you cannot edit it). Members in a higher usergroup (such as Honorary Members) have a longer edit time period.

And the "Preview" button is the first one in your editing toolbar.

jyBFost.png

Hello and :welcome:, @Anew

EDIT:   ^^^^ Great minds think alike. ^^^^:D We were posting at the same time, it seems.:D

1) I do not know if it's "normal", but I am able to reproduce it.  I might expect that result when the user is on the forum main "index" page.  But I also see that dialog when I am on a specific sub-forum.  TBH, I've never used that "create new content" button.  We'll need to ask the forum Admin team to check with IPS. It may be a bug with the new, very buggy IPS v4 software.  As a workaround, please navigate first to the sub-forum in which you want to start a new topic and then click the big, green, "start new topic" button.

2) No, not that I know of.  Alas, even those of us who are "regulars" here have struggled with IPS v4.  It is not particularly user-friendly.

3) Yes, the "preview" button is shown in the attached screen shot.

Enjoy your stay!

2016-08-19_7-30-23.png

Edited by daledoc1

@Anew, welcome to our forums!! Thanks for sharing this experience. Our forums were recently updated to other day and I wonder if this is a bug from that. Our team will reach out to IPS on this today.

Lastly, I appreciate the feedback on needing some training or educational content for new users. I agree that its something we need to have. We will look in to adding that in the future.

Again, thanks for the feedback and thank you for joining our community.

Thank you Auradaledoc1, and AlexSmith,

I appreciate your welcomes and am grateful for the answers you've provided.

I'm guessing new users cannot edit at all, because I tried to do a quick grammar edit and took maybe 1.5 seconds to do it, but it still said I was too slow and disallowed editing.  So I hope I don't make too many of those types of mistakes in future (even with preview, I'm prone to need to make such corrections).

Thanks again to the members and staff here.

• celee changed the title to [RESOLVED] New Forum User Question