OK to use both Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit Premium at same time?

rollie410

I have been MAMB Premium user for several years.  Now Firefox 48 automatically provides Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit premium.  Should I uninstall MAMB Premium?  My computer runs slower since Firefox started providing it.  And sometimes I have to run MBAM 1st to get internet to run properly.  MBAM never registers any threats though.

Hello and :welcome::

You wrote

18 minutes ago, rollie410 said:

Now Firefox 48 automatically provides Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit premium. 

I'm not sure I understand that?:unsure: I am not aware of Mozilla Firefox providing MBAE Premium.

Can you please provide more details about that?

19 minutes ago, rollie410 said:

Should I uninstall MAMB Premium?

No, MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) and MBAE (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit) are 2 different products, providing different types of protection.
MBAM (and your anti-virus) protect against the "what" of malware.
MBAE protects against the "how" of malware.

20 minutes ago, rollie410 said:

My computer runs slower since Firefox started providing it. 

Again, I am confused about the "Firefox started providing it" wording, as Firefox does not "provide" either MBAM or MBAE.

MBAM is available for download HERE

MBAE is available for download HERE

For both programs, the installer file is the same for Free, Trial and Premium versions.  Paid, premium users "activate" the programs with a license (they are separate for MBAM and MBAE).

21 minutes ago, rollie410 said:

And sometimes I have to run MBAM 1st to get internet to run properly.

That does not sound like normal behavior.

21 minutes ago, rollie410 said:

MBAM never registers any threats though.

That perhaps suggests that you have been both careful and lucky.  Running real-time security programs (AV, MBAM, MBAE) are like having car insurance.  One might think the insurance is not needed, UNTIL one gets into a wreck.

>>>I am a bit worried about the fact that you said you got MBAE or MBAM from "Firefox", and by the fact that you have to run MBAM in order to get internet to run properly.

We could better assist you if you could please do the following:

1. Tell us more about how you got MBAE Premium "through Firefox"; AND
  2. Read this pinned topic to run two non-invasive scanning tools: Diagnostic Logs; AND
  3. ATTACH all 3 logs to your next reply in this thread -- the 3 logs are FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt

Thank you,

Thank you for reviewing the logs.

I am a computer novice so please take my use of descriptions with a grain of salt as they may not be the best way to describe the problem I am having.  As you can see by the screen shot I sent you with the logs, for the past 1-2 weeks,every time I open my Firefox 48 browser (this is the current version) a side bar pops out from the lower right corner saying" Firefox now provides Malwarebytes Anti Exploit" (MBAE).

Since that sidebar has started popping up(1-2 wks ago) I have noticed that it takes 4-5 minutes longer to acquire my Century Link internet service 12-20 mpbs in my apartment than it did before.  And it seems to run slow once I do get it.  However If I immediately run antimalwarebytes premium which I have subscribed to for several years, my computer seems to run normal.  Although no threats are ever found.  So that's my dilemma.

Thank you,

Tom R

Hi, @rollie410:

Thanks for the additional information.

I think I understand your first "issue" a bit better now.  The "Sidebar" "popups" you describe are expected, normal behavior by MBAE (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit). The default setting is to launch a popup when the user opens a shielded application (in this case, your Firefox browser). This is to let you know that the application is being shielded by MBAE.  So, the situation as you described it was actually backwards.  The popup is to tell you that MBAE is doing its job of protecting your Firefox browser.  It is not Firefox "providing" MBAE. But it is normal behavior. There is nothing to worry about.

If you do not want to see those popups, then all that's needed is to disable that setting in the Settings tab of the MBAE GUI (see screen shot).
To do that:

1. RIGHT-mouse click on the MBAE icon in the computer's system tray (lower right corner near the clock)
  2. Click "Show Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit"
  3. Click the "Settings" tab
  4. Un-tick (remove the check-mark from) the option for "Show system tray notification tooltips"

If you disable the notifications setting, MBAE will still protect your browser (and other shielded application).  You just will no longer see the popups when you open the browser (or other shielded applications).  If MBAE were to detect and block a real exploit, you would still get a popup for this sort of "critical" notification.  Bottom line: with the tooltips setting disable, you are still fully protected.

As for the other issue, with the slow internet, your logs show some issues with the system. I've asked the forum staff to review your logs and advise you further on that one.

Thanks for your patience,

MBAE-108-tooltips-setting.png

Edited by daledoc1
screen shot

• Root Admin

Hello @rollie410

I see that you're on Windows 10 now. There are many users that are having quite a few different issues once they've upgraded to Windows 10

Let's try uninstalling MBAE then reboot, then uninstall MBAM using the following method, and reinstall it.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Then uninstall AVG and reinstall it.

Then update MBAM, then reinstall MBAE and reboot the computer and let us know how things are working now.