Full scan crashes at 2 hour mark

Hello,

I've recently downloaded and installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and I have attempted to scan my PC 5 times. 4 of these times it was a full scan, and once I tried scanning just one drive.

Every time, it crashes at around the 2 hour mark, during the heuristic scan after reaching approximately 40,000 hits.

Previous Googling suggested I try running a boot time scan with avast! antivirus, as well as running CHKDSK on my three HDDs which I have done, no issues or errors were found. It was also suggested I "repair my computer" using the Windows setup tool, however once I hit the option to select a language, both my mouse and keyboard deactivate so I cannot proceed.

One of the full scans I also ran with my computer in safe mode with no networking capabilities or anything.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer, I'm happy to provide any additional information.

Please note that MBAM has never run a successful scan on my PC.

Thanks.

Hello and :welcome::

Sorry to hear about the MBAM crashes.

First thing: routine, full scans of all mounted drives and volumes is neither necessary nor recommended.  It's a task better suited to your anti-virus.  The Threat scan is the recommended and default scan type, as it looks in places live malware is likely to hide.

Having said that, it's not normal for the program to crash during a scan.  What exact error message do you see when that happens?

It's likely that deeper work on the system will be needed in a different area of the forum.
But, for starters, please read this pinned topic: Diagnostic Logs.
Then, please ATTACH all 3 requested logs to your next reply in this thread.
The 3 logs are FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt.

We'll go from there.

Thanks,

Oops. I meant Threat Scan, my sincere apologies, I am a total noob. To be completely clear, I click the big Scan Now button. :)

The error message is the standard "Program has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" Windows error message, MBAM itself does not throw any error codes.

I've attached the three logs, thanks so much for your help.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

• Root Admin

The system is having crashing of Jamcast as well as a .NET4 crash. Not sure if that's because of a crash by MBAM or the other way around.

There has to some sort of conflict if you're getting 40K hits. That's just not normal.

Let's try the following.

Temporarily disable Jamcast.

Try to get this update from Microsoft. If it says the file is already installed just let me know.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2640103

Then reboot the computer.

Then fully disable Avast antivirus.

Then run a threat scan with MBAM and let us know how that goes.

I did one better and fully uninstalled Jamcast. (I haven't used it in months anyway.)

Microsoft were completely unhelpful, they suggested I use Windows Update (done), reinstall MBAM (done) and reinstall Windows (not done)

Restarted my PC after this and disabled Avast and then ran MBAM.

The scan froze at 01:37:44 with 38,823 detected objects.

• Root Admin

Very odd, having that many detected items would almost have to be a false positive due to something blocking our software.

I'm going to move your topic to the Removal section of the forum and have you run the following.

Please restart the computer first and then run the following steps and post back the logs when ready.

STEP 04
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

STEP 05
Let's clean out any adware now: (this will require a reboot so save all your work)

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done, you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want to be removed.
  • Now click on the Report button and a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look at the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up, click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want to be restored > now click on Restore.

STEP 06
Download Sophos Free Virus Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.

• Double click the icon and select Run
  • Click Next
  • Select I accept the terms in this license agreement, then click Next twice
  • Click Install
  • Click Finish to launch the program
  • Once the virus database has been updated click Start Scanning
  • If any threats are found click Details, then View Log file (bottom left-hand corner)
  • Copy and paste the results in your reply
  • Close the Notepad document, close the Threat Details screen, then click Start cleanup
  • Click Exit to close the program
  • If no threats were found, please confirm that result.

STEP 07
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ok!

JRT log attached.

During the "Loading engine" stage of AdwCleaner I received an error: "Line 10570 (File "D:\AdwCleaner.exe"): Error: Variable used without being declared." The program closed.

Moved the file to my desktop, received the same error except now with the file path for my desktop.

Stopped here as I'm not sure if I can proceed when one step fails :(

JRT.txt

• Root Admin

Let's wait a day and I'm sure that the AdwCleaner author will update the program.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.