Problem updating MBAM Free

Hello,

Can anyone give me an idea about why my MBAM 2.2.1.1043 Free will not update? This has been going on for over a week now and all I get are messages claiming that there are no updates, the server isn't available or it just goes back to showing the out of date database. I run Windows 7 SP1 on 3 PCs along with NIS 22.7.0.76. Is there likely to be some kind of conflict there even though MBAM Free is basically a scanner with no 'real time' elements? Full system scans find nothing, everything else updates with no difficulty, so I'm completely mystified! I can't download anything from this site, neither mbam-clean.exe nor a new copy of MBAM regardless of which browser I use. I've uninstalled/re-installed with no improvement, I can't even update MBAM in Safe Mode with Networking. Thanks.

Madeline6

Hello and welcome, @Madeline6:

Version 2.2.1.1043 is the current PROGRAM version.  So I presume you are reporting a problem with DATABASE updates?
MBAM Free does not update automatically via the scheduler -- that feature is available only to Premium and Trial version users.

However, MBAM Free (and Trial and Premium) does "automatically" check for updates as a preliminary step before running a MANUAL scan.
Is that the problem you report????

>>>Is the problem only with 1 computer, or with 2 or with all 3 of them???? That would help to narrow down the possible causes.

If so, I understand that you tried to reinstall the program, to no avail.  But it's not clear if you used the special removal tool. 

Let's start here, for ONE computer at a time:

1. First, please verify that your computer's date and time settings are correct.  If that does not explain or correct the issue, then please proceed to step #2.
  2. If you did not already follow the "best practices" with the removal tool when you uninstalled, please carefully follow ALL the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
    1. Please be sure to reboot the computer when prompted by the removal tool; it's a good idea to reboot again after the reinstall.
  3. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you,

Hello daledoc1'

Thank you for your reply. The problem is with the database updates and exists on all 3 PCs. Even if I run a scan, the update simply doesn't happen - apparently it checks, but no database update is installed. The scan works fine as far as I can tell. The context menu scan also works. I couldn't use the special removal tool as I can't download it. Whichever browser I use on any of the 3 PCs  fails to load the page so that I can initiate the download. On this PC, I do not currently have MBAM installed, it seemed somewhat pointless if it won't update. By the way, the date and time on all 3 PCs are correct. I forgot to mention earlier that I couldn't get updates using Safe Mode either.

Madeline6

Hi:

Thank you for the update.

If the problem happens on all 3 computers, then that suggests that something -- perhaps Norton -- might be blocking MBAM from contacting the update servers.
If it was working OK until a week or so ago, then perhaps there was a Norton update that changed something, causing it to block MBAM.
Having said that, it would be unusual for Norton or another AV to interfere with MBAM Free.

Unfortunately, it will be hard to troubleshoot on 3 computers simultaneously.
It will be impossible to troubleshoot if you have uninstalled MBAM.:(
As we are not in front of your computers, we can only speculate what might be happening without a bit of data in the form of the requested Diagnostic Logs.:(

So, at this point, I can only suggest the following:

1. If you still have MBAM installed on one or more systems (or would be willing to reinstall it), then I suggest creating mutual "exclusions" between MBAM and NIS.  While not strictly necessary in most cases, especially for MBAM Free, perhaps that might resolve your issue.  The attached screen shot shows an example (with KIS, not Norton, but the principle is the same; you may ignore the Carbonite entry in the screen shot).  And the MBAM files to exclude in Norton are listed below.
  2. Alternatively, you may wish to create a ticket with the Support Team at the Help Desk >>HERE<<.  They can assist you one-on-one via email with all 3 computers. (Note: they will likely need to see the same Diagnostic Logs in order to help you sort this out.)

Thanks again,

----------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

221-Exclusions-2016-03-31_6-14-39.png

Hi again!

Apologies for not replying before now. I didn't get a chance to do anything until yesterday (Thursday) and I'm pleased to say that everything has gone back to normal. I had removed MBAM from all 3 PCs using GeekUninstaller because I couldn't download the Clean Removal Tool from this site. I tried again to download MBAM from the link given elsewhere on this site and this time it was successful. I re-installed MBAM on all 3 PCs, they updated, did a scan - found nothing nasty -  and I'm so pleased about this as I've had MBAM for a long time now and didn't like the idea of being without it as it's an excellent program.

I'm completely mystified by what went wrong and I don't know why it suddenly righted itself, but that's computers for you! Thanks for your interest and help. I've kept a link to this thread in case anything similar happens again so that I'll know what to try! Thanks again.

Madeline6

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Cheers,

P.S. I'm not sure why you were unable to download the mbam-clean removal tool.  That tool has been used by many 1000s of users over the years.  The d/l link works fine for me now.  So, if you ever need more help, please feel free to post back. Although 3rd-party removal tools *can* be used, "best practices" for an MBAM reinstall would include using the specialized removal tool written by the MBAM developers.

I'm sorry that I didn't make things clear properly in my last post. When I said that I was able to download MBAM from this site, I should have added that I was also able to download the mbam-clean removal tool, neither of which I had been able to do previously for some reason. I was going to re-install MBAM and if it didn't work properly, uninstall again, this time using the mbam-clean removal tool and try yet another re-install! However fortunately this proved unnecessary, but I'm keeping both the mbam-clean removal tool and the MBAM setup file available just in case...!

Ah, OK.  I misunderstood.

Sounds good.

There ought not to be any need to save the MBAM installer or even the mbam-clean removal tool.
Both the program installer and the tools, such as mbam-clean, are updated from time to time.

One can always download a fresh copy from their respective download sites, when needed.:)

Cheers!