Malwarebytes "Unable to access update server"

The problem is: Malwarebytes says it is "Unable to access update server"

I see that this subject had been discussed previously in this forum, a couple of years ago, and is closed to comment.

The workaround at the time seems to have been drastic: the user had to perform a full and clean uninstall of MBAM, and then reinstall.

This was presumably because no fix had been developed as no-one had defined of understood the cause of the problem, so the solution was to akin to removing a car engine and replacing it with a new one if it was misfiring, instead of cleaning the spark-plugs, or something.

My question is, therefore: Is it still the case that one has to perform the drastic workaround, or is there a fix for this problem? I need to know because my MBAM is still stuck at database date 2016-07-26 and I would rather fix the problem quickly and simply if at all possible.

Thanks in anticipation.

S.

Hello Slartibartfarst:

It would be best if the experts analyze some diagnostic report logs from your system first:

1. Please read the locked/pinned topic Diagnostic Logs and then individually ATTACH the 3 requested logs in your next reply to this thread only.
  2. The 3 files, from Step 1, to be individually ATTACHED from your desktop are CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt.  Please do not Zip or Copy and Paste them into a reply.  Please do not alter, any FRST categories as the configuration is well suited for this forum.

Thank You.

Hi:

In addition to the excellent advice already offered:

First, please check your computer's date and time.
Incorrect date and time is one possible cause of the error message you report.
And another simple fix would be to reboot the computer.

If neither of those steps explains or resolves your issue, then the next steps would be EITHER to perform a proper clean reinstall, as suggested by @Porthos, OR to provide the diagnostic logs requested by @1PW.

For the proper clean reinstall, I suggest carefully following ALL of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
The process will take about 5 minutes or less, and a reboot or 2.

For the diagnostic logs, I suggest ATTACHING to your next reply all 3 logs produced by following the advice here: Diagnostic Logs
Running those tools and providing the logs will likewise take only a few minutes.

Thank you,

Thankyou for your response above.

At least my questions would seem to have been collectively answered, namely:

• (a) The root cause of this, what seems to be a continuing/common problem, is not understood and so a fix is not yet known/published.
  • (b) The only workaround would seem to be as suggested by @daledoc1 (thanks) - carefully following ALL of the steps at: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

I had to smile at: 

"The process will take about 5 minutes or less, and a reboot or 2."

That will take an estimated 1:10hrs elapsed time due to Win10 update on the laptop in question being stuck in a looping failed update cycle at each boot time.

Sheesh. Speaking as a developer, I do rather think that apparently common/recurring bugs such as the one I describe above should have been ironed out and fixed in Beta testing, but then perhaps my expectations could be unrealistic.

Hi:

5 hours ago, Slartibartfarst said:

At least my questions would seem to have been collectively answered, namely:

• (a) The root cause of this, what seems to be a continuing/common problem, is not understood and so a fix is not yet known/published.

Actually, there are many causes for update failures: software conflict, networking/connectivity issues, system configuration issues, corrupted MBAM settings or files, incorrect system date and time, even PUPs/malware.  Occasionally, there may be issues with the update servers.   Each computer is unique -- there is no one "cause" for the issue that affects all computers.  So, there is no "fix" to publish, as there is no one root cause and the problem is not a bug with the software itself (if there were, there would 100000s of simultaneous trouble reports).

(b) The only workaround would seem to be as suggested by @daledoc1 (thanks) - carefully following ALL of the steps at: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

No, it's not the "only" workaround.  But a clean reinstall often resolves many minor issues and is the fastest way to get back up and running, which is the outcome most users seek.

Otherwise, in order to help to determine the cause of the update issue on your computer, we would need to have a bit of basic information about your system and your MBAM installation, in the form of the Diagnostic Logs.

That will take an estimated 1:10hrs elapsed time due to Win10 update on the laptop in question being stuck in a looping failed update cycle at each boot time.

It sounds as if the computer in question has other issues, not just MBAM updating.  That's why we would need, at least for starters, to see those Diagnostic Logs, if a proper clean MBAM reinstall does not fix the issue.

Sheesh. Speaking as a developer, I do rather think that apparently common/recurring bugs such as the one I describe above should have been ironed out and fixed in Beta testing, but then perhaps my expectations could be unrealistic.

Nope, it's not a "bug". MBAM 2.2.1.1043 has been in release for many, many months and is used by many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of computer users.  If there were a "bug", the forum would have been flooded for many months by tens of thousands of updating trouble reports.
If the program is not updating properly on your computer, then the cause is most likely one of the many problems mentioned at the top of this reply.

So, to reiterate, the fastest and most efficient way to get back up and running is detailed here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x. (It's very important to follow all of the steps, especially the requested reboots.)
If that does not fix your issue, then we would need more information in order to better assist you, in the form of the Diagnostic Logs (all 3 logs ATTACHED to your next reply).

Thanks again,

Edited by daledoc1
punctuation