• Root Admin

Please get me a fresh set of FRST logs. Make sure you place a checkmark in the Additions.txt checkbox and attach back both new logs.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Here's (maybe) a clue:

I said it was intermittent - I've figured out how to make it happen.

I have 1 admin account and 3 local accounts on this machine.Rebooting and checking the admin account never produces the error. Here's how I get it to pop up:

Boot and go into one of the local accounts. "Lock" the account, and log into the admin account. The error appears immediately. If I am logged out of all accounts, and then go into the admin account, the error does not appear.

I can confirm that this same scenario will also cause the error to show up on the other computer, on which I had not seen it there before. That one has 2 admin accounts and 3 local accounts.

I hope this helps.

• Root Admin

Regular Local users cannot load the driver. You need to have admin rights to load it. Again though, if the program is installed and running as a service the regular user should not need to open it. They will only be able to scan their own data not the entire system.

10 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Regular Local users cannot load the driver. You need to have admin rights to load it. Again though, if the program is installed and running as a service the regular user should not need to open it. They will only be able to scan their own data not the entire system.

The local accounts don't touch the program, at all, ever. All I have to do is log into a local account, then "switch" to an admin account, and the error appears. The program has not been manually opened at all at this point, just running in the background. I can do this same procedure and the error appears every time, so it's completely repeatable..

10 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

When you say you change accounts, do you mean switch and still leave another account logged in?

Yes, exactly. I log in to a limited account, then switch to an admin account, and that's when the error appears. If I log out of the limited account before logging in to the admin account, the error does not appear.

13 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, okay. QA was well aware and said that is normal behavior. It only supports one logged in user for that driver.

If you want or need to use it then you'll need to log the other account off and only use one logged on Admin account.

Hi,

I don't quite understand - I am not "using" it except that it is the Pro version, so it is actively running. Are you saying that the automatic, always-running anit-rootkit function only works on one user account at a time? Because I am not opening MBAM, I am not scanning anything, I simply log into the account and the error appears. Thanks.

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I'd have to do more testing on that myself. I don't use any other accounts on my own computer. Going by what QA relayed to me. I'll need to create some regular user accounts and test to verify, but may not have time till tomorrow.

That'd be great, thanks. Or, I could try and make a screen capture for you.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

There actually is a known issue now with the AU of Windows 10. Our rootkit driver is currently crashing. We have been able to track it down and our developers are working on it to correct it. Not sure if this is your exact same issue as you were having it before the AU for Windows 10. Hopefully once the driver is fixed for AU use it will work for you as well. At this time though I don't have any further information as to when the update for that will be available.

Please check back with me in a couple of weeks though to see if there is any further update on this status.

Thank you