MBAM and MBAR getting error 0xc0000279

(running on Windows10)

Much like here MBAM, MBAR and few others like firefox (but not chrome nor edge/IE) get this error whenever I try to run them, I'm sure (or at least hope) this isn't a virus but rather a registry error. This error also appears when trying to run anything from malwarebytes dis-including things like FRST (meaning the MBAM cleaner would not start and would get the same error, including MBAM setup).

This started happening yesterday after I managed to get my computer working again after cleaning it, the RAM or my motherboards RAM slot was having issues (the RAM was not being detected or getting enough power) causing my computer to yell at me a lot. Simply this was fixed by moving my sick of RAM from slot 1 to slot 2, after that and a hard reset of my GPU [pulling my GPU out of my motherboard then plonking it back in] (have to do that every time the power at the back of my tower is switched off, no idea why but it forces the GPU to accept outputs again) my computer started fine. Except firefox and MBAM e.c.t. Because this error appeared AFTER this ordeal I believe this is a registry error or something of the such, especially as the night before I had ran a full scan with MBAM, MBAR and WD all simultaneously with no issues and no detections and firefox running perfectly fine too. I have no other AV other than MBAM and WD, but have tried others on the same system in the past.

I am having the exact same problem as linked above ("Can't start the program correctly (0xc0000279). Click OK to close the program"). I have ran TDSSKiller with loaded modules, done sfc /scannow, ran chkdsk and externally scanned my computer via a USB with FRST64.exe but have not ran a fixlist.txt through FRST64.exe externally nor internally (because I don't have one yet). Also according to Process Hacker, MBAMChameleon (service) is still running and can't be stopped (stop button is greyed, but restarting it results in "Unable to stop mbamchameleon: the requested control is not valid for this service"). All logs are attached.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

FRST(external).txt

• Root Admin

Hello @shadow999999 and :welcome:

Let's start off with just doing a clean removal and reinstall and see if that corrects the issue for you. If not we can move on from there.

Please restart your computer and then run the following.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Thanks

as i said before,

2 hours ago, shadow999999 said:

meaning the MBAM cleaner would not start

I can't uninstall the program. The first suggestion online was to re-install the program using the cleaner (in the link), I also mentioned that the installer gets the same error as well. (sorry if it wasn't very clear)

If all else fails I'll try Iobit uninstaller, as that's managed to remove a few AV and stuff that just refuses to be uninstalled but I doubt even that will manage to even start uninstalling it. That and using a tool not directly related to uninstalling the program can cause more issues than resolve.

• Root Admin

We can work around it. Please see if you can run this tool.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post.
  • Click on the More Reply Options button, then click on the Browse button to locate your log then click the Attach button to attach the log to your post

As far as iObit is concerned please read the following.

The company behind this product was found to be stealing the MBAM database.
Personally I would not trust installing any software from a company that resorts to stealing someone's technology to sell their product.
Please see the following links and make up your own mind if you want to keep this on your system. If needed, your malware helper can help you remove it.

• Root Admin

Please open an elevated admin command prompt and let's do a full disk check to ensure disk integrity.

In the DOS command prompt type the following and press the Enter key, then the Y key to allow it to run after a restart. Then restart and let it run. Late here so I'll try to check back on you again sometime tomorrow.

CHKDSK  C:  /R

Thanks

On 7/30/2016 at 6:11 PM, shadow999999 said:

I already tried that before posting here, it found nothing wrong. I'll re-run it again later when I can restart my computer.

Just realized you said /r at the end and not /f, I've ran the /r version (which took about 4 hours to do) and the program still does not open and gives the exact same error.

Late on this, school got in the way a bit that and i ran chkdsk C: /f overnight and not the /r version (which I started at 5 hours ago thinking it would only take about 30 minutes like /f usually does because I forgot that it scans the entire hard-drive [which is a nearly full 1TB, only 34.6GB of free space is left]).

Furthermore, even before this error started appearing the attached images (that I could only get via taking pictures with my Ipod, hence the horrendous quality, of which I had to whip out my Ipod quickly because the messages would dissapear in about 10-20 seconds from being active). There may be a chance they are linked, google searching them doesn't give anything relevant back so I have no idea but I have suspicions these other errors are appearing because of razer synapse as the LED's in my mouse and keyboard don't switch off only when these older (yet still relevant as they still appear on occasion) errors appear. Razer synapse starts normally with no errors, so I doubt it is related at all, there is more of a likelihood of firefox having something to do with this as firefox is the only program on my computer (that isn't MBAM related) which gets the '0xc...' error (including all of firefoxes files).

I just tried to uninstall firefox just to see what would happen, when going through windows programs and features window to uninstall it whenever 'uninstall' is pressed on firefox simply nothing happens. I can hear it trying to start up, but is immediately being closed (I have sounds set up to notify me whenever something opens and/or closes so I can tell if things like games are having issues starting). Do you know of anything which can uninstall firefox outside of firefox? (as what I'm guessing is the uninstaller for firefox [under Mozilla Firefox>uninstall] that's called 'helper.exe' doesn't start up either [gets the same error].) I have a feeling re-installing it may help, but only a hunch.

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

All CMD commands output 'the restore operation completed successfully.' and under that 'The operation completed successfully', doing the commands from 1-5 (stopping at 5 as ' Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth ' was successful). I tried powersell as well just in case (again 1-5) all of which resulted in:

Path:

Online : False
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded    : False

I wouldn't be surprised if replacing my RAM (otherwise upgrading my motherboard as the errors may be being caused by my RAM slots being faulty) removed the shutdown errors, but I doubt it will elevate the errors with Malwarebytes programs and FireFox.

Let me just add that the error has been around since the last "upgrade". I had to do a clean install to fix it. Now with yesterdays "upgrade" I have the error on my laptop. The last time it was on one desktop. There doesn't seen to be any fix floating around. I am going to right click on the task bar and shut down that way or just use the power button.

I wasted too much time the last time.

I forgot running these commands create a log, was only relaying what was being shown on CMD and shell. Attached the 2 logs in a .zip because they are REALLY large for just text documents (~26MB in total).

I've been needing to upgrade my tower with new equipment anyway, been about 3-4 years since I first got this and about about 2-3 years since I upgraded my GPU.

logs.zip

Ok so this is worrying and new, yesterday I could play steam games and open steam all fine. Now whenever I open steam, it won't open. What's worrying is that windows explorer shoots up from 0% cpu usage to around 25% constant whenever i try to open steam and becomes unkillable and un-restartable (killing it returns that I don't have access [no surprise] but restarting it just kills the windows explorer tree but not explorer itself where then it hangs there waiting for itself to die before it tries to restart itself but it NEVER DIES). I can't even kills its process strings via process hacker! They just keep reforming as if nothing happened! No idea why steam would need to interact with windows explorer so intensely ever in anyway, not even when it's checking integrity of a game does it use THAT much cpu.

I haven't run memtest yet (just downloaded it), ah and firefox nor MBAM starts (still the same error). Steam seems like the ONLY process which causes this phenomenon but I haven't poked around much yet, and nor do I want to.

was bout to run memtest (from USB), but just realized an update for windows is being downloaded (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607)...so I better wait for that first.

Let the test run all day, as I was a school. I got a pic of the results but it's hard to read so ill just type it out instead.

test

errors

11? Or 13?

Also before it showed the results it said down the bottom: -----------

[Note] RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips

Test: 10 addr: 131B(B or 8)9700 expected: FFFFFFFF actual: FFFFFFFB CPU: 0

Test: 10 addr: 131BAB700 expected: FFFFFFFF actual: FFFFFFFB CPU: 0

>[Note] RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips

-----------------

Guess I'm going to have to get new ram? Better off than wiping my entire system and waiting another day and a half just for windows to re-download (cus AUS internet) and install. Lucky I have an external HD with a backup on it, but the backup is about 1 year old...better than nothing though!

Something was bound to happen sooner or later, my computer IS about 3-4 years old. Thanks for the help! and lets hope new RAM will solve all these issues.

Just food for thought... and if I may step in for a second....

If you are going to be replacing the RAM, while your at it, make sure you clean out the computer on the inside to make sure its free of dust. Also while your at it give a visual inspection of the mother board. Take special note of the condition of the capacitors and make sure none of them are blown or fixing to blow.  If you need help on what a blown capacitor simply look at some images on Google such as the images HERE

Ok stepping out now... Thanks

My apologies, you also mentioned your RAM slot was not working correctly.  Make sure that when you removed the RAM to clean it to make sure no dust or debris are present in the RAM slots.  Sometimes it may seem that the RAM was fully seated but it is not.  Also try and remove the RAM and re-seat it. (You may have already tried that).  I know these types are problems are frustrating trying to get to the bottom of it, hopefully we can help solve it with your help of course.  I only mentioned the capacitors as times when I work on computers with issues like this one thing I check first is the capacitors, cause if they are leaking or blown, there is no use trying to fix it as it will continue to happen.  Just trying to make sure we cover all the basis.

quick update;

I've found that VLC media player and GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) also get the same error as MBAM/MBAR and FireFox. Guess we can rule out that FireFox is the culprit here then, or at least the only one.

Furthermore, when trying to end the broken explorer.exe (caused by steam) through resource monitor it simply returns an error of 'access is denied'. Also with each try of trying to run steam, one of my 4 CPU's (2 physical, 2 virtuals) takes the brunt of it and goes at 100%, i.e. with each new try another CPU reaches 100% usage. The only way i can force this broken version to 1 cpu ( to stop it from hogging so much cpu for absolutely no reason at all) is to change its affinity from all to cpu 0 only, giving me only ~75% of my cpu to work with. Its wait chain is also empty and other users before have had the same thread become unkillable and hogging the same amount of cpu but with different things being the cause (like a broken .ico). Going even further, not even an elevated CMD can end the ghost process with the reason "there is no running instance of the task" but can successfully end secondary (non broken) explorer.exe's (as can be seen in the photo). Litterally the only way to end this broken process is to force restart the computer, as when a normal restart is tried it will just hang there waiting for the process to end. Also, according to process hacker, the broken process has no I/O interaction meaning it is literally un-intractable hence why even its 'broken' thread can't be ended.

Still, so far only steam and steam related executables are what cause this explorer.exe glitch to happen meaning I'm locked out of about 122 of my games which account for about 80% of my HD space. So as you can imagine, I'm super god damn bored ATM.

Untitled.png

Ran a quick visual test for my motherboard (and GPU), all the capacitors are perfectly fine. No buldging or leaking. Also checked my RAM slots, their also clean (except the outer areas where you can see the pins which only had a little bit of dust but I'm guessing you weren't referencing those areas but rather the area where the RAM gets shoved into), I put my RAM into slot 1 just to see what would happen. To my dismay my computer started beeping at me again complaining that 'there's no power!' when their clearly was, so my guess is that RAM slot 1 is so broken it simply either doesn't recognize that there is in fact RAM plugged into it or it doesn't power the RAM's components. SO i plugged it back into slot 2 and nothing has changed, still the same old errors...I was hoping a hard reset of my RAM would do something good, so I'm pretty sure it's my motherboard and not my RAM. Which is even worse because then I have to plug everything in and hope to god I didn't mess up the wiring or destroy my CPU (the sound the CPU makes when it's being clipped in legitimately terrifies me) otherwise spend an extra $10-20 to get some guy to do it for me. (Which I'll probably actually spend that $10-20 extra.)