Third Party VPN Supplier Recomendation

I've been looking at personal use 3rd party VPN supplier info a bit. Can anyone here recommend VPN service provider or recommend a site where I can get good information? We travel quite a bit, and I believe a VPN connection would allow me to use my PC more securely from a hotel room.

Edited by calintexas
clean up text

If that is the case, why not get a Cellular BroadBand card ( WWAN ) or a MiFi such as from Verizon and bypass a Hotel's Internet altogether.

A MiFi device is basically a Cellular Network Modem tied to a WiFi Router.  This way you can carry it with you and you can connect 4 ~ 8 systems to it via WiFi.

Example:  Ellipsis® Jetpack® MHS800L

If you only will have one notebook, then you can get a Broadband Mini-PCI/PCIe card that plugs into a slot on the notebook or tethers to it via USB.

Example:  Dell Verizon 5720 Mobile Wireless Broadband EVDO Mini-PCI Express Card

Food for Thought...

Edited by David H. Lipman

15 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

If that is the case, why not get a Cellular BroadBand card ( WWAN ) or a MiFi such as from Verizon and bypass a Hotel's Internet altogether.

A MiFi device is basically a Cellular Network Modem tied to a WiFi Router.  This way you can carry it with you and you can connect 4 ~ 8 systems to it via WiFi.

Example:  Ellipsis® Jetpack® MHS800L

If you only will have one notebook, then you can get a Broadband Mini-PCI/PCIe card that plugs into a slot on the notebook or tethers to it via USB.

Example:  Dell Verizon 5720 Mobile Wireless Broadband EVDO Mini-PCI Express Card

Food for Thought...

Thanks, I'll check these alternatives out. 3rd party VPN's I've seen are in the $40 to $50 per year range. I'm guessing what your suggesting requires a cell data contract and could be costly depending on bandwidth used?

5 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

^^ Excellent idea, Dave. ^^

I use VPN when traveling with my lappy, but I might have to look into one of those other options.;)

daledoc1 what VPN do you use? I'm not a big mobile user (we use Tracfones), but do travel between California and Texas by car a couple of times a year (hotel stays en route). In addition, I prefer to use WIFI when available with my very cheap ZTE Citrine smart phone rather than pre-paid mb's. A 3rd party VPN seems like it would fit my needs at a fairly low cost for both our laptop and pre-paid phone.

On 7/24/2016 at 0:50 PM, calintexas said:

Thanks, I'll check these alternatives out. 3rd party VPN's I've seen are in the $40 to $50 per year range. I'm guessing what your suggesting requires a cell data contract and could be costly depending on bandwidth used?

I am sorry I did not return to this thread earlier.

I don't know costs as I haven't done it.  I have had personnel who have used BroadBand Cards ( one for USA and a different one for Europe ) in conjunction with Cisco VPN software for access to our enclave.  What I have suggested are good alternatives for security but I do not have costs.

BTW:  Now Automobile manufacturers are including a MiFi type device built into their cars such that riders can share Internet access when traveling.  Personally, I don't like that idea simply because it is a fixed asset of that automobile and an actual MiFi device can be utilized in an extravehicular capability.  

• 2 months later...