"Insects on monitor" malware

Hi all,

I have some malware on my computer that creates small "bugs" that crawl around on your computer screen. They look, move and act very realistically, causing myself to doubt my sanity a few times as I tried to push on them through my LCD screen. But they are indeed software- upon close examination you can see the little pixels that make up their bodies. I noticed this happening after I downloaded some video game emulation software "retroarch" and also a torrent full of retro arcade games (MAME). 

I made a youtube video to show the "bug" in progress: 

At any rate- Malwarebytes doesn't detect anything, and shockingly Google yields no relevant search results. Usually that means no one else is having that problem, or it's something new. The only other similar thing, accorinding to google, appears to be a screen saver that has more cartoon looking bugs running around from 2008 or so. I've also scanned my computer with Spybot 'Search and Destroy', but nothing found.

Any advice?

Hello BobMcBobby and welcome to Malwarebytes,

My screen name is kevinf80, i`m here to help clean up your system. Make sure to run all scans from accounts with Administrator status, continue as follows please:

Anyone other than the original starter of this thread please DO NOT follow the instructions and advice posted as replies here, my help and advice is NOT related to your system and will probably cause more harm than good...

Change the download folder setting in the default Browser so all tools we may use are saved to the Desktop:

user posted imageGoogle Chrome - Click the "Customize and control Google Chrome" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image
Choose Settings. at the bottom of the screen click the
"Show advanced settings..." link. Scroll down to find the Downloads section and click the Change... button. Select your desktop and click OK.

user posted imageMozilla Firefox - Click the "Open Menu" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image Choose Options. In the downloads section, click the Browse button, click on the Desktop folder and the click the "Select Folder" button. Click OK to get out of the Options menu.

user posted imageInternet Explorer - Click the Tools menu in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image Select View downloads. Select the Options link in the lower left of the window. Click Browse and select the Desktop and then choose the Select Folder button. Click OK to get out of the download options screen and then click Close to get out of the View Downloads screen.
NOTE: IE8 Does not support changing download locations in this manner. You will need to download the tool(s) to the default folder, usually Downloads, then copy them to the desktop.

user posted imageChange default download folder location in Edge -Boot to a user account with admin status, select start > file explorer > right click on "Downloads" folder and select "Properties"

In the new window select "Location" tab > clear the text field box and type in or copy/paste %userprofile%\Desktop > select "Apply" then "OK"

Be aware you are not changing the Browser download folder location, you are changing the user’s download directory location.....

Next,

Follow the instructions in the following link to show hidden files:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Next,

Download RKill from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

There are three buttons to choose from with different names on, select the first one and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7/8/10, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this in your next reply.
  • If you do not see the black box flash on the screen delete the icon from the desktop and go back to the link for the download, select the next button and try to run the tool again, continue to repeat this process using the remaining buttons until the tool runs. You will find further links if you scroll down the page with other names, try them one at a time.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Next,

Tweaking.com Registry Backup

• Download Tweaking.com Registry Backup from here, and save tweaking.com_registry_backup_portable.zip to your desktop.
  • Now we need to create a new folder to extract the zipped contents into. Right click on the zipped folder you just downloaded and select "Extract All".
  • Click the "Browse" button and from the list, expand "Computer", then expand "Windows (C:)", and click the "Make New Folder" button.
  • Call this folder something you will remember...like "RegBackup" then click "Ok", and then click "Extract".
  • From the newly extracted files, right click on hPxdDvj.png and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Tweaking.com Registry Backup.(Windows Vista/7/8/10 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)
  • A screen like this should appear:
    user posted image

• Type a custom name in Backup Name if you want, then choose Backup Now.
  • If backup is successful, a message will appear at the lower half of the screen with an option to view logs.
  • The registry backup will be created in %WindowsDrive%\RegBackup by default. You can customize the path in Settings.
  • Close Tweaking.com Registry Backup when done.

Next,
Please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

• On the Settings tab > Detection and Protection sub tab, Detection Options, tick the box "Scan for rootkits".
  • Under Non-Malware Protection sub tab Change PUP and PUM entries to Treat detections as Malware
  • Click on the Scan tab, then click on Scan Now >> . If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
  • A Threat Scan will begin.
  • When the scan is complete, click Apply Actions.
  • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.
  • After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.

To get the log from Malwarebytes do the following:

• Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
  • Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click Export > From export you have three options:
    Copy to Clipboard - if seleted right click to your reply and select "Paste" log will be pasted to your reply
    Text file (*.txt) - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply
    XML file (*.xml) - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply

• Recommend you use "Copy to Clipboard, then Right click to your reply > select "Paste" that will copy the log to your reply…

If Malwarebytes is not installed follow these instructions first:

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
  • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
  • Click Finish. Follow the instructions above....

Next,

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs....

or,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your next reply....

Thank you,

Kevin...

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!