"threat scan was cancelled"

I recently installed the latest version of Malwarebytes and successfully did a scan. I also updated Firefox to latest version. Since then I get repeated crashes of Firefox with errors such as 'plugin container failed',  'avgmfapx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close', SDKDatabaseLoadDefaults failed with Code: 2', so I tried running Malwarebytes again and it gives message: 'Threat Scan was cancelled'. I'm running 32 bit WinXPpro SP3. I'm not a techie and don't always understand the jargon. Thanks for any help. Bob

Also did the 'Farbar' download and scan. Here are the 2 .txt files:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• Staff

Hello Bshap

We are going to refresh FireFox and see if that will fix your problem

1. Open FireFox
  2. Click on the “menu” icon in the upper right-hand corner (Three horizontal lines together)
  3. In the menu that opens click on the Question mark “(?)” at the bottom of the window
  4. Click on where it says “Troubleshooting Information” and a new page will open
  5. In the Upper right-hand corner you will see a box that says “Give Firefox a tune up”
  6. Click on the “Refresh FireFox” Button
  7. Confirm you want to refresh by clicking on the “Refresh FireFox” button
  8. Click on “Finish”

Regards,

Thanks! When I followed your process and opened Firefox it closed after I clicked the "refresh firefox" button the 2nd time. It gave a small message saying 'refreshing firefox'. Then it said 'success!' and restored my tab. Seems to be working OK at the moment, but I've been here before and after awhile it started to spontaneously crash so hopefully the fix will be more durable this time. BTW this is a recent 'update' of Firefox to V 47.0.1. Your help is much appreciated!

Thinking that my AVG virus software might be part of the problem I removed it and downloaded/installed Avast, which now seems to be unable to complete a scan without hanging. Tried twice. Also recently updated my XP from SP2 to SP3. Trying too many changes in too short a time?

• Staff

Greetings

I have not heard from you in a couple of days so I am coming by to check on you to see if you are having problems or you just need some more time.

Also to remind you that it is very important that we finish the process completely so as to not get reinfected. I will let you know when we are complete and I will ask to remove our tools

1 hour ago, gringo_pr said:

Greetings

I have not heard from you in a couple of days so I am coming by to check on you to see if you are having problems or you just need some more time.

Also to remind you that it is very important that we finish the process completely so as to not get reinfected. I will let you know when we are complete and I will ask to remove our tools

.Thanks for following up.  I have refreshed Firefox and removed a few more programs. I'm still getting occasional errors - 

"plugin-container.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

and firefox crashes. Today my whole computer just froze and I had to shut down and restart with a CHKDSK. I've sent a message to Firefox help but haven't heard back. Haven't had time to re-install and scan with Avira. Do you think I should use the AVG removal tool at this point? Is there some way to check to see if vestiges of AVG remain on my computer? I'm inclined to think the problem is with the browser but I certainly don't know enough to say with any degree of certainty. THANKS!

Bob

• Staff

Greetings

Hi William; Thanks for the follow up. Here's what I've done - uninstalled Avira. Used the AVG removal tool to get rid of all remnants of AVG. Run Malwarebytes and found nothing. So far today there's been no crashes or freezes. I'm about to get another computer set up with a fresh Windows 10 and try to migrate my programs and files. I'm not sure what 'tools' you want to remove or how to do that, or what virus protection in addition to Malwarebytes to install on the new machine and old machine.

Your help and interest in my issues is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

• Staff

:Why we need to remove some of our tools:

• Some of the tools we have used to clean your computer were made by fellow malware fighters and are very powerful and if used incorrectly or at the wronge time can make the computer an expensive paper weight.
    They are updated all the time and some of them more than once a day so by the time you are ready to use them again they will already be outdated. They are updated all the time and some of them more than once a day so by the time you are ready to use them again they will already be outdated.

The following procedures will implement some cleanup procedures to remove these tools. It will also reset your System Restore by flushing out previous restore points and create a new restore point. It will also remove all the backups our tools may have made.

7 hours ago, gringo_pr said:

:Why we need to remove some of our tools:

• Some of the tools we have used to clean your computer were made by fellow malware fighters and are very powerful and if used incorrectly or at the wronge time can make the computer an expensive paper weight.
    They are updated all the time and some of them more than once a day so by the time you are ready to use them again they will already be outdated. They are updated all the time and some of them more than once a day so by the time you are ready to use them again they will already be outdated.

The following procedures will implement some cleanup procedures to remove these tools. It will also reset your System Restore by flushing out previous restore points and create a new restore point. It will also remove all the backups our tools may have made.

What "following procedures"? I'm not sure what you are referring to. I wasn't aware that you had cleaned my computer other than that I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes and followed your suggestion to go to a link to remove AVG completely. Do you mean that Malwarebytes has to be removed also? Or are there some other 'tools' lurking on my computer?

• Staff

Hello Bshap

I have some personal favorites that I like to use

The paid antivirus bellow has a free trial so you can try it out to find out if you like them

paid for antivirus
Kaspersky - http://usa.kaspersky.com/ - free trial - http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads
ESET - http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/antivirus/ - free trial - http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/2/?trl=ea

Free to use antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
Avast - http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

I myself use the built in Defender