"threat scan was cancelled"

I recently installed the latest version of Malwarebytes and successfully did a scan. I also updated Firefox to latest version. Since then I get repeated crashes of Firefox with errors such as 'plugin container failed',  'avgmfapx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close', SDKDatabaseLoadDefaults failed with Code: 2', so I tried running Malwarebytes again and it gives message: 'Threat Scan was cancelled'. I'm running 32 bit WinXPpro SP3. I'm not a techie and don't always understand the jargon. Thanks for any help. Bob

Hello and welcome, @Bshap:

It sounds as if there is quite alot going on with this system (including possible malware infection), and it is an older computer (older hardware running Windows XP).

You *might* want to start with a proper clean reinstall of MBAM, by carefully following ALL of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

However, given the fact that you have lots of programs and applications crashing, it might be more efficient to get a bit of deeper, expert, free help.
That work is conducted in a different forum area.

So, I suggest starting with the advice here: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair, and with getting MBAM up and running.

Thank you,

Hello, again, @Bshap:

I see that you have opened a new topic in the malware removal section here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/185857-threat-scan-was-cancelled/?do=getNewComment

Please wait for one of the malware helpers to assist you -- the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.

If you are still having problems with MBAM or with other, non-malware-related issues on your PC after your helper gives you the all-clear, we will address those separately.

Thank you again,

2 hours ago, nerdbase said:

Windows XP stopped support at 8,april,2014. That'll say that antiviruses aren't so effective thosse days. Like now im using an old PC becuse my grandma (not so old, just something with 50 years old) don't wanna buy an new pc,to me. and more risk's to viruses, ill recommend u to buy an new pc or DVD upgrade or burn .iso  file.

Nerdbase -An base with nerdy brainz

LOL nerdbase! I'm considerably older than your grandma and I do have a couple of newer computers - Vista desktop and Win8.1 laptop - but much prefer my old WinXP machine and my peripherals that don't have drivers for the newest OS's. I'm not much of a techie, unless it's Neanderthal tech, so dunno what you mean by "burn .iso". In the meantime I managed to get MBAM to complete a scan by disabling my AVG software. It found 94 PUP's which I then quarantined. I'm using Firefox right now so we will see if it crashes again. THANKS again for your comments!

Bob

3 hours ago, nerdbase said:

ill recommend u to buy an new pc or DVD upgrade or burn .iso  file.

Just a note re: upgrading your current XP system.  First, XP does not qualify for the free upgrade to Win10 that ends on July 29 -- you would need to purchase a license (there is no "digital entitlement" for XP, just for qualifying 7/8/8.1 systems). More importantly, it's possible that your older hardware will not be compatible with upgrading to Win10. MS does offer a means to check on that, but many XP systems simply will not run Win10 well.

While you may prefer to keep the old XP system running, please just be aware that, as time passes, it will be harder and harder BOTH to prevent AND to recover from a major security or other mishap under the XP platform (not just the hardware and OS itself, but also drivers, compatible software, etc.).    Many security software vendors are dropping support for XP entirely, although Malwarebytes has pledged to continue support for XP as long as they can.  <just saying>;)

----------

Back to the matter at hand -- with so many PUPs on your MBAM scan, it's possible that there may be additional malware remnants on the system.  As such, I would still suggest waiting for one of the malware helpers to assist you with a deeper check and clean-up in your other topic over in the malware removal section. (But it's your choice, of course.)

Normally, it ought not to be necessary to pause one's AV in order to scan with MBAM (or vice versa).  It is possible that your older, slower hardware necessitates doing so.  It's also possible that -- once cleaned up -- the system *might* run a bit better.  Another thing that might help would be to set mutual "exclusions" between AVG and MBAM.  Your malware helper can assist with that, or we can help with that, after you are done in the malware removal section.

Cheers,