Automated threat scan not working

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version: 2.2.1.1043 (licensed)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware set up to perform an automated threat scan at 3am. My PC is usually switched off before then, so it should perform the threat scan when I switch on in the morning. The problem is it never performs the threat scan. If I go to "History > Application logs" I don't see any "Scan log" entries, other than those relating to manual scans I've initiated myself.

I ran the "mbam-check-2.3.2.0.exe" utility today (Fri 15th July) and it gives the following results:

lastscheduled: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:05:19.736120 +0100
lasttriggered: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:05:19.736120 +0100
nextscheduled: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 03:38:21 +0100

As you can see, it triggered the automated scan and scheduled the next one for tomorrow - but I was watching the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware window the whole time and there was no scan, and in "History > Application logs" there is no scan log.

I ran the "mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe" utility to uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then reinstalled it, and the problem remained. Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated, thanks.

Hello and :welcome:;

1 hour ago, Rick1212 said:

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware set up to perform an automated threat scan at 3am. My PC is usually switched off before then, so it should perform the threat scan when I switch on in the morning.

First: there's not much point in scheduling a scan for a time when the computer is powered off.
It might make more sense to pick a time when the computer is powered on.
However, IFFFF the scheduler "recover if missed by" settings are properly configured to do so, then MBAM can "make up" a missed scheduled scan.

So, it's possible that your MBAM settings may be amiss or that something else is happening -- perhaps a software conflict?

We could better assist you with a bit more information about the system.
Please follow the steps in this pinned topic: Diagnostic Logs
Then, please ATTACH (as *.txt files) all 3 logs (FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt).

Thank you,

I set it for 3am precisely because I know the PC is switched off at that time, the assumption being that the scan would commence at the first available opportunity after 3am, i.e. when I switch on the morning. This is the point - I want the scan to commence automatically when I switch on, so the scan is running while I have breakfast and my PC is clean and ready to go when I'm ready to get to work.

There's no point advising me to schedule the scan for a convenient time, that assumes there's a time every day that is convenient. Should I schedule for 3pm? Sometimes I'm out at that time and the machine is off. I might as well commence a manual scan whenever the time is "convenient."

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that is capable ot commencing an automated scan in the manner described above?

Hi:

Thank you for your feedback.

If you wish, please check your MBAM scheduler settings to verify that they look like the attached screen shot.

1) If the user ENABLES the setting for "check for updates before scanning", then the scan will run at a time randomized to +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time.  If you want your scan to run at the EXACT time at which it is scheduled, please disable that setting for update checks before scans (as shown in the attached screen shot).

2) The "recover if missed by" setting needs to be both enabled and properly configured.  If your scheduled ran is set to DAILY, then the "make up" interval needs to be less than 24 hours.  Please note: if "recover if missed by" is enabled, then MBAM might try to scan very soon after a cold system start, when the system is still attending to other chores. This can be inconvenient.  (The user can always run a manual scan at any time, if the user is concerned about a missed scan.)

Other than that, we are not in front of your computer.  We cannot possibly know how MBAM is configured, or what other software may be installed, or what other system configurations (such as power settings) there might be.  As such, that is why we ask for the Diagnostic Logs -- merely to help us to better assist you.  Nothing more, nothing less.
We are only trying to help.

Thank you again,

2016-07-16_9-41-15.png

It would be more logical to schedule a scan when you go to sleep.

Lets assume you go to sleep @ 2359 hrs ( midnight ) and a scan takes no more than 1 hr.

Schedule the MBAM scan to occur @ 2330 hrs.

Then schedule a computer Shut-Down @ 0100 hrs using the Windows Task Scheduler