Avast to Buy AVG for $1.3 Billion to Add Security Software

pondus

2 hours ago, Aura said:

I just hope that avast! will drop AVG's crapware like PC TuneUp, Web TuneUp, SecureSearch, etc. and not use their technologies to add them in their avast! Free product.

Also, AVG is only worth 1.3B? It surprises me.

Avast also have lots of crap and lots of annoying ad popups to buy this and that extra

Yup. This is why I could see them integrating AVG's technology and products in their own which are already annoying. avast! Free comes with a lot of junk, I don't even recommend it anymore.

Only Bitdefender and Sophos Home (I think) comes without any PUP, browser hijack, etc. Avira still offers Avira Search I think but it's really easy to opt-it out so I just mention it.

• Root Admin

I can understand free for some users around the World but for many that spend $50+ for meals a couple times a week or so I just don't see putting up with all the Ads and junk. I paid for Norton for my wife and it's been a Godsend for me. I posted a while back, but when I first got my wife's computer a few years ago I ended up having to rebuild a couple times that year due to heavy infections. It was using MSE and MBAM Free (which has no real-time protection) - as I got busier and busier I didn't have time to babysit the computer so I installed Norton and MBAM Pro and have both automated for updates and it's been probably over 3 years now that I've not rebuilt or repaired her computer since. It's very quiet and non-obtrusive and well worth it for me.

I paid for Norton for my wife and it's been a Godsend for me.

Right now, it's an open door for malware, hackers, etc. however :P

And yeah, if people really care about their security, they should invest in a good security setup (which include an Antivirus solution). These $50 per year could make a difference between you staying safe, and you ending up getting all your accounts, assets, information, etc. stolen too.

Couple of questions

1) Will Avast going to keep their free version or remove it?

2) Are they going to improve and add more features? For me, Avast Deepscreen doesn't work 100% all the times because sometimes its analyze malware applications as safe. So I hope the Deepscreen will be improve soon. 

3) What is Avast new brand name since they bought AVG?  

Edited by SloppyMcFloppy

• Root Admin

Yes, but all of those still require either user action or remote access to the system. In either case, to me, it's not quite the chicken little the sky is falling that many articles want you to believe. Symantec also deployed some rules to try to help detect exploits. Yes, it's possible if you happen to be on one of the few of the billions of websites that have code trying to take advantage or you're on some mail list with a link you click, but bottom line is the numbers are certainly in your favor that you're never going to be on one of these websites that are trying to run an exploit, and you're never going to get that email with a link. Should it be fixed, absolutely, will it be, yes I'm sure it will be. Sorry but just don't see it as the sky is falling and jump ship. In today's World where even large companies are struggling to stay in business, you can jump ship and find that new company has gone under too.

I'll ride it out for a fix from Symantec which they should have soon.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Disagree, years ago Norton was a useless resource hog, but that was years ago. Has been a pretty solid product now for a while.

I agree, and the Symantec Endpoint Protection is pretty solid too...  I use it on many computers and it has not let me down yet...

Yep, @quietman7 has often posted at bleeping very sensible and well-documented concerns about the 3rd-party "free" AVs (MSE/WD excepted).

There is always a catch -- ads, popups, PUPs, toolbars, aggressive marketing, decreased features, decreased support, etc, etc..

I agree with Ron -- these same users who insist on only "free" security and other software will gladly spend $50 on a game, $500 on a piece of hardware, or $5 on a cup of coffee.

But they won't shell out a few pennies a day for computer security.

Strange priorities....:rolleyes:

<geezer snark off>

22 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Yep, @quietman7 has often posted at bleeping very sensible and well-documented concerns about the 3rd-party "free" AVs (MSE/WD excepted).

There is always a catch -- ads, popups, PUPs, toolbars, aggressive marketing, decreased features, decreased support, etc, etc..

I agree with Ron -- these same users who insist on only "free" security and other software will gladly spend $50 on a game, $500 on a piece of hardware, or $5 on a cup of coffee.

But they won't shell out a few pennies a day for computer security.

Strange priorities....:rolleyes:

<geezer snark off>

True, however in my humble opinion the free versions of most provide the same basic protection as the paid versions.

• Root Admin

All reported issues have been patched and updates are available to customers
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO3807.html

How can I verify if I am protected?

Ensure that you have the latest LiveUpdate content or the most recent product upgrade as listed in the ‘Update Information’ section of the Security Advisory for SYM16-010.
https://www.symantec.com/security_response/securityupdates/detail.jsp?fid=security_advisory&pvid=security_advisory&year=&suid=20160628_00

Download the latest version of Symantec software
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH125408.html

• 3 months later...

I think every antivirus has its good times and bad well from my very limited knowledge and from observing the various reports online over the small time I've been watching. They come into favor and then bang suddenly are bottom of the pile. I get very confused reading about av's. One site will say don't pay its not worth it free is as good as paid and yet another will say pay. We have one pc with paid and one running free yet they always seem to go down at the same time lol.  I always wonder why an av company hasn't made a subscription router that has a built in vpn and secure dns with a voondaba firewall and some sort of monitored firewall on the look out for new attacks ect , I'd pay for that. In fact I'd trade the mother in law for that lol

I always wonder why an av company hasn't made a subscription router that has a built in vpn and secure dns with a voondaba firewall and some sort of monitored firewall on the look out for new attacks ect , I'd pay for that. In fact I'd trade the mother in law for that lol

You mean something like this?

ASUS router with Trend Micro AiProtections > https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012070/

Bitdefender box > http://www.bitdefender.com/box/

F-Secure sense > https://sense.f-secure.com/