Recommend a Antivirus that isn't Bitdefender or Kaspersky?

Hi

I'm in the middle of setting up my new gaming pc and hit a problem. Both Bitdefender and Kaspersky are giving me unacceptable issues when installed. Kaspersky is slowing Gforce experience, which wouldn't be an issue if it didn't need it for shield streaming and Bitdefender added 30 seconds to my boot time, caused the PC to not start at all at least once and crashed half way through a system scan. The last isn't all that shocking, I've never had great luck with Bitdefender.

So where should I be looking outside of the two big boys? Eset? Webroot? Stick with Avira free and its rock solid signatures? I'm a savvy enough user, realistically the antivirus is just there to protect me from hacked websites and sophisticated phishing email. I just want something to do that job and never bother me otherwise.

Hi:

You ask a common question with no "right" or "best" answer.

Also, see here: http://www.bleepingc...y-suite-for-me/

Each member will have his/her opinions, and each AV has its share of fans and detractors.
As this board is owned and operated by Malwarebytes corporation, it's a general forum practice not to endorse or denigrate any particular AV.

MBAM PREMIUM and MBAE PREMIUM are a fine place to start.  And Anti-Ransomware (MBARW-beta) will eventually be rolled into MBAM.
But you will still need a robust AV.
As far as the AV, there is no one "best" option to suit every computer, user and budget.
There are many fine options, all of which should be fine alongside MBAM and MBAE.

(FWIW Kaspersky has a "gaming" mode.)

Here are a few: List of well-known antivirus products
There are many other computer fora with in-depth, passionate discussions of the topic, and many older threads here at this forum, too.

Having said that, no one security program can protect 100% of users from 100% of malware 100% of the time.
The most important security component is the computer part between the chair and keyboard. ;)

Here are a few links with helpful information:

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware
So how did I get infected in the first place?
How did I get infected?
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
List of well known antivirus products

Six tips to help you stay safer online

Also: regarding the "Free" AVs, you might find this post from a MS MVP interesting or helpful: http://www.bleepingc...s/#entry3781476

Cheers,