[RESOLVED] Streams and unread threads

I haven't logged in for a while, and got a shock at how the look and feel of the forums had changed.  My browser couldn't remember my password, because of the  change  from .com to .org.  Luckily, I had saved my login password elswwhere, and that enabled me to login.  It has now been saved by my browser, for automatic login. Phew!

P.S. How do I get to see the total number of 'not read' posts since my last login.  It is not as evident with the change of forum look. I am confused. The previous version of forum, I could tell at a glance after I had logged in, but not so, now.

Edited by Tarnak
Clarity

I saw that, but now when I go to that page, at the bottom it keeps saying load more posts activity at the bottom of the page.   Before, it would show me the total number of unread posts, i.e.  the number of pages, which could be many if one hadn't been logged in for a number of weeks.

Edited by Tarnak
clarity

I went to that link, thanks....It gives an example  of what I used to see, similarly, when I went to the [forum] page that would show me ' all unread' posts, made since my last visit.

Now, I haven't a clue of the total of posts made in the forums since my last visit.

ScreenShot_MalwareBytes_new look forum_01.gif

Edited by Tarnak
mistake

Yes...For instance, I might not have signed in for a couple weeks, and when I logged back in, there might be 15 or more pages of unread posts waiting for me.  So, I would load them one after another in new tabs within the browser, and then work my way back from the oldest to the newest posts, closing each tab as I worked backwards to the beginning, i.e. page one.  Not complicated. ;)  Now, I can't do that, any longer. :(

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tarnak said:

Yes...For instance, I might not have signed in for a couple weeks, and when I logged back in, there might be 15 or more pages of unread posts waiting for me.  So, I would load them one after another in new tabs within the browser, and then work my way back from the oldest to the newest posts, closing each tab as I worked backwards to the beginning, i.e. page one.  Not complicated. ;)  Now, I can't do that, any longer. :(

You can do this. I too do something similar. Head over to https://forums.malwarebytes.org/discover/?do=create and make yourself a new stream. See the image below for what you need to adjust. You can even set it as your default and then it gets place just below the search box and your profile in the upper right - so one click!

Streams.png

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me, and letting me know how to [custom] set up, for me to access the [my] unread posts.  Much trickier that it used to be, that's for sure. Before, when I logged in, under the previous forum software, it was just there and obvious.  I have to scratch my head, now, in comparison. ;)

P.S. I still have to go through all those steps you have shown in your reply in this thread, to see how it will look. :lol:

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Tarnak said:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me, and letting me know how to [custom] set up, for me to access the [my] unread posts.  Much trickier that it used to be, that's for sure. Before, when I logged in, under the previous forum software, it was just there and obvious.  I have to scratch my head, now, in comparison. ;)

P.S. I still have to go through all those steps you have shown in your reply in this thread, to see how it will look. :lol:

The difference now is the new platform doesn't have as many predefined filters or some of the more familiar ones. We can add more to the default streams if that's what the community would like. These would then show up under the Default Streams area (versus someone having to make it and then seeing it under their Custom Streams area).

I made those changes, but to no effect...In other words does not achieve the desired intention.

Funny thing is I can achieve what I want with the individual forums, e.g. this forum, "General Chat"   which has currently has 3,729 topics and stretches back 150 pages.

So, currently the forum changes, from my  point of view have detracted rather than being an enhancement.

Edited by Tarnak

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Tarnak said:

I made those changes, but to no effect...In other words does not achieve the desired intention.

Funny thing is I can achieve what I want with the individual forums, e.g. this forum, "General Chat"   which has currently has 3,729 topics and stretches back 150 pages.

So, currently the forum changes, from my  point of view have detracted rather than being an enhancement.

Did new content post since your last visit? When I tested this it initially showed nothing until I logged out, waited a bit (so something new could post) and then logged back in. Mine now shows unread content since my last visit.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Tarnak said:

I did that, i.e. logged out and back in.  But, it does not show anything like, what I would like to see as shown under the previous format, and shown by that screenshot posted above by Aura -

Are you asking for it to work or for the layout to be like the old version of the board? Assume you want both. :) 

If you tried this in the middle of our posts here, there may not have been any new posts and therefore it would have shown you zero posts. I just tried this again and it worked for me.

I'll take a screenshot and get back to you,  shortly. I will add the screenshot to my thread.  As yet, I have not marked the site as read.  So, in theory there must hundreds of unread posts, still

ScreenShot_MalwareBytes_new look forum_03.gif

Edited by Tarnak
added screenshot

• Administrators
Just now, Tarnak said:

I'll take a screenshot and get back to you,  shortly. I will add the screenshot to my thread.  As yet, I have not marked the site as read.  So, in theory there must hundreds of unread posts, still

If you setup the stream like my screenshot, it will show you unread content since your last visit... not all unread content. So if you visit the site, leave for a bit and there are two posts that happen while you're gone... when you come back you'll see these two posts and that's it.

If you're looking for all unread content (irrelevant of the period of time or your status), click this one: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/discover/unread/ (which is a default stream).

So, today I have logged in more than a couple of times.... Therefore, it seems you are saying that all those 'unreads' from all sub-forums and that were previously merged in to one, are no longer there. Oh, well!  That is unfortunate and disappointing, all-in-one. I guess I just have to grin and bear it.  As you can tell, I have been a member of the forum for a long time.  But, sometimes that is not enough when pointing out things that I now find wanting and lacking.   Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by Tarnak
added missing word

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Tarnak said:

So, today I have logged in more than a couple of times.... Therefore, it seems you are saying that all those 'unreads' from all sub-forums and that were previously merged in to one, are no longer there. Oh, well!  That is unfortunate and disappointing, all-in-one. I guess I just have to grin and bear it.  As you can tell, I have been a member of the forum for a long time.  But, sometimes that is not enough when pointing out things that I now find wanting and lacking.   Thanks for your assistance.

And we're glad you're back with us! The screenshot you shared is the view you'll get when using the default "Unread Content". When you use your custom Stream, you'll get a URL that ends with /discover/33/ (number will vary). Can you click your "Unread since last visit" stream and see what comes up?

• celee changed the title to [RESOLVED] Streams and unread threads