mglatfelter

Microsoft Office and Grammarly issues

I have been using Grammarly, and spelling and grammar checker in Windows 10, Office products, and email. It works fine. However, lately, Anti-exploit is shutting down my Microsoft Word stating that Grammarly is malware. I need help with this false positive. Thanks.

Error:

Application: Microsoft Office Word

Protection Lawyer: Application Behaviour Protection

Protection Technique: Exploit payload process blocked

File/Process blocked: C:\Users\Dad's Work\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.57.exe C:\Users\Dad's Work\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.57.exe \detectmode

Attacking URL: N/A

I have the same problem. Is this really a threat or a false positive. Can I just allow it via the log files? 

Thanks.

I contacted Grammarly about this issue. They say the problem is not at their end. MBAE has not yet responded so I assume they are working on the problem.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have also come across this issue. Though I am unable to find the cause, I do have a workaround.

You will need to close your Microsoft programs and then download and install GrammarlyAddInSetup.exe program manually from the Grammarly website.

So far the issue has been corrected.  It seems like Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Premium has the problem when the program tries to automatically update.

I've got same problem with Office Tabs addins. When start any offce application with installed office tabs MBAE kills this office app.

Can you guys please post your MBAE logs? Once we have the logs we can fix this.

I stated getting notifications about this program being blocked this morning after installing Anti-Exploit on the client:

1/13/2017 10:18:59 AM XXXHOSTNAME 10.2.X.X Exploit payload process blocked BLOCK C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.85.exe

Would love to post the logs, but not directly to this forum post as there is personally identifiable information in there. Is there an alternative way I can get the logs to you?

Thanks,

Harry

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 1/13/17
Protection Event Time: 3:58 PM
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.0.5.1299
Components Version: 1.0.43
Update Package Version: 1.0.1006
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Exploit Details-
File: 1
Malware.Exploit.Agent.Generic, C:\Users\pbutler\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.85.exe, Quarantined, [0], [-1],0.0.0

Exploit: 0
(No malicious items detected)

(end)

I wanted to follow up again that I would love to post the logs, but not directly to this forum post as there is personally identifiable information in there and I don't want to attempt to sanitize that many files.  Is there an alternative way I can get the logs to you? I've read the post you've linked to above. Should I just contact support directly?

Thanks,

-- 

Harry

Global exclusion added. Reboot and try again.

For future reference you can also add your own local exclusions from your MBAE UI. Simply click on the LOGS tab. Then find the block event, click it once, and then click the Exclude button.

Awesome! I did make a local exclusion, but will remove that here in the next few days. Thanks for the attention to this!

-- 

Harry

How long does the global exclusion take to get out to the world? On 1/20 I took out the local exclusion, but saw reports of it again on 1/22. I've re-added the local exclusion for now.

Thanks,

-- 

Harry

It could be that Grammarly pushed out a new version and it is being blocked again. Can you post the latest entry from your mbae-alert.log?

Same update:

"2017-01-22T14:13:36.342-05:00";"user";"5924";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE";"6872";"OUTLOOK.EXE";"3";"701";"207";"";"";"";"";"";"";"C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.85.exe C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.85.exe \detectmode";"";"";"";""
"2017-01-22T14:13:36.546-05:00";"user";"5924";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE";"6872";"OUTLOOK.EXE";"3";"601";"207";"";"";"";"";"";"";"C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.85.exe";"1C5B6815372D0D0EBA9CE18EC2FA9D73";"";"";""

Here is the line I have been putting in the Anti-Exploit Exclusion List that has been working:

1C5B6815372D0D0EBA9CE18EC2FA9D73; GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.85.exe

Thanks,
-- 
Harry

If you remove the exclusion and reboot, does it still get blocked? (don't worry, you can add it again later).

I don't have easy access to the user's PC, however, I'll see if I can reproduce it in a VM.

Thanks,
--
Harry

Well ... it just happened to me now. Sorry no log files right now. Just thought I should flag this again. I have been working with Grammarly for about a year.

Thanks

Andrew

Yep, I noticed it as well. Appears to be a new version of Grammarly:

3/10/2017 11:36:58 AM XXXXXX 10.2.X.X Exploit payload file blocked BLOCK C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe

3/10/2017 11:36:59 AM XXXXX10.2.X.X Exploit payload process blocked BLOCK C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe \detectmode

3/10/2017 11:37:03 AM XXXXXX 10.2.X.X Exploit payload process blocked BLOCK C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe \detectmode

3/10/2017 11:37:03 AM XXXXXX 10.2.X.X Exploit payload file blocked BLOCK C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Grammarly\Updates\GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe

-- 
Harry

Can you please post the C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\mbae-default.log and mbae-default.log.bak?

PM sent with requested files. I've added this line to my exclusion list: 4BD792D4A6B757C133502938C06CAF49; GrammarlyAddInSetup6.5.87.exe

Thanks,

Harry

Thanks! I was not able to reproduce this before, I guess due to how it updates itself and I was already on the current version. I'll follow up with the user and test removing the exclusions I've made in our local policy.

Thanks,

Harry