I just read the Petya and Mischa blog Malwarebytes posted and I like that they explain every thing but as a dumb user all I need to know is if one of the 3 Malwarebytes programs I have on my computer stops them. I have both your premium malware and anti -exploit as well as your beta Anti-ransom ware v 0.9.15.416 Often a blog makes me aware of something in the wild but doesn't say if I am protected.

Hi LarryS :)

From the article, I read that Petya and Mischa can be delivered by malicious PDF files sent via email. Since Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium provides protection for most PDF readers: Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, etc. then my guess is that you are protected. Also, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects Ransomware (like Petya and Mischa), and so will Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (though not at 100% since it's still in beta) so my guess is that you are well protected against these two. Of course, you need a good Antivirus program to run alongside this setup, as those are only complementary, and the Antivirus should be your first layer of protection.

Maybe @AdvancedSetup can ask a Staff member to answer that question accurately for you as these are only my guesses.

• Root Admin

Hello

MBAE blocks the actions of an exploit and it doesn't matter if the action tries to install either a ransomware or other type of malware. However, if any user downloads a ransomware from a website and then executes it, obviously MBAE won't block it, this is a job for either MBAM or Anti-Ransomware.

As long as the products are up to date and running their protection modules then it should be covered and blocked.

• Staff

Hi LarryS, 

The ransomware "Mischa" is detected by MBARW (by behavioral patterns). Dropper (containing both payloads) is detected by MBAM (depending on it's packing) known samples are added to the detection, but with time attackers can make changes in order to counteract.

Mischa.png

For more info, please see this post: I have MBAM and MBAE. Why do I need Anti-Ransomware?

by!

• Root Admin

Yes, a good pair. I have MBAM and Norton Internet Security on my wife's computer as she click on everything and it's been free from infection with that combination now for over 2 years.

Take care and stay safe out there. Don't forget about backups.

Backup Software