Conflict with USB stick

I run the Keepass Portable program on a USB stick.  Before activating the trial version of Malwarebytes Premium, I was able to connect and disconnect my USB stick to and from my computer normally.  I could plug my USB stick in and activate and use Keepass throughout the day. When I was ready to shut down for the evening, I could then exit out of the Keepass program and use the Windows "safely disconnect hardware" feature to disconnect my USB stick.

After activating the trial version of Malwarebytes Premium, I noticed that I was having trouble disconnecting my USB stick from my computer.  After I exited out of the Keepass program and tried to "safely disconnect hardware", I'd get an error message from Windows stating something like, the device couldn't be safely stopped and to close any files that may be in use.  Since the Keepass program was turned off and I was not running any files on the USB, I chose to either pull the USB stick out anyway or just shut the computer down and pull the USB stick out after the computer was shut down.

When I would turn the computer back on and try to plug in my USB stick, nothing would happen.  The light on the stick wouldn't come on and ESET wouldn't volunteer to scan it.  It was as though I had not plugged anything in at all.  Even trying another USB port on my computer didn't work.  To solve this issue, I would have to reboot into safe mode and go to Device Manager.  From there I'd delete some USB root hubs and the generic USB hubs.  Then I could restart my computer normally, plug in my USB device, and it would work.

To find out whether or not Malwarebytes was behind this issue, I unchecked the option for Malwarebytes to start with Windows.  After restarting my computer in normal mode, I plugged my USB stick in and everything worked perfectly.  I opened the Keepass program and utilized my web browser for awhile.  I then exited out of Keepass, and was able to successfully use the "safely disconnect hardware" feature.  I shut my computer down, then turned it back on again.  I plugged in the USB stick again and it worked as normal.

Next, I tried turning on Malwarebytes manually after the computer was already on.  I was able to use my USB stick as normal.  But before I turned the computer off, I first manually exited out of Malwarebytes using the options found in my taskbar tray.  With Malwarebytes manually shut down, I was also able to successfully use the Windows "safely disconnect hardware" feature to disconnect my USB stick.  I turned the computer off, then back on again.  Plugged in my USB stick and it worked fine.

Based on my tests, it appears as though if I let Malwarebytes start with Windows and run the entire time in the background, it interferes with my USB stick connecting and disconnecting.  I seem to be unable to safely disconnect the USB stick via Windows with Malwarebytes running in the background.  And when I had Malwarebytes set up to automatically start with Windows, my USB stick wouldn't work until after I re-booted into safe mode and deleted USB root hubs and the generic USB hubs.

Can this issue be fixed so that I don't have to try to remember to always turn Malwarebytes off manually before I disconnect my USB stick?  Or is there some other way that I can stop Malwarebytes from interfering with my USB stick?

I'm running Windows 10, if that matters.

• Root Admin

Hello @PlsStopTheMadness and :welcome:

I've not seen or heard of this issue myself. Let's get some logs and see if we can determine what's going on here.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Please read the following and post back the 3 requested logs as an attachment.

Diagnostic Logs

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

The logs show that ESET crashed at some point. Let me have you run a couple tools and see if that helps or not.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

Next,

Lets clean out any adware now: (this will require a reboot so save all your work)

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want removed.
  • Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.

Then restart the computer one more time and do a clean removal and reinstall of MBAM.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Then one more restart after installing and updating MBAM and let me know if the USB issue is still there or not.

@AdvancedSetup

I completed the two scans.  However, before I proceed with uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes, I'd like to know if this will interfere with my free trial?  I am currently trying the program to see if I want to purchase it so I don't think I have a license key to enter into the program once I've reinstalled it.  Will Malwarebytes know that I still have time left on my free trial?

Below are the results of the two scans:

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.6 (04.25.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 
Ran by Shee0 (Administrator) on Tue 06/14/2016 at  9:31:15.11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

File System: 2 

Successfully deleted: C:\ProgramData\1461175995.bdinstall.bin (File) 
Successfully deleted: C:\ProgramData\Start Menu\Programs\search.lnk (Shortcut) 

Registry: 0 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scan was completed on Tue 06/14/2016 at  9:32:52.00
End of JRT log

# AdwCleaner v5.119 - Logfile created 14/06/2016 at 09:41:20
# Updated 30/05/2016 by Xplode
# Database : 2016-06-13.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 10 Home  (X64)
# Username : Shee0 - DESKTOP-Q02C56O
# Running from : C:\Users\Shee0\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

***** [ Files ] *****

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\NE\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : aol.com

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [825 bytes] - [14/06/2016 09:41:20]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [880 bytes] - [14/06/2016 09:38:11]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [969 bytes] ##########

• Root Admin

In theory it should know but I've not personally tested it under such a situation so I cannot say for certain that it would remember the time period.

Can you temporarily unisntall your ESET NOD32 then and do some testing to see if the issue remains when it's no on the system. (be careful and do not browse the Internet and mail with ESET removed.)

Do a bit of testing and rebooting, etc and USB drive removals. Then make sure to reinstall your antivirus.

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

In theory it should know but I've not personally tested it under such a situation so I cannot say for certain that it would remember the time period.

Can you temporarily unisntall your ESET NOD32 then and do some testing to see if the issue remains when it's no on the system. (be careful and do not browse the Internet and mail with ESET removed.)

Do a bit of testing and rebooting, etc and USB drive removals. Then make sure to reinstall your antivirus.

I'm not sure I'm following you?

I've been using ESET for close to 2 months, I believe, and I've been able to use the Windows "safely disconnect hardware" feature to disconnect my USB stick with ESET running in the background.

I only just activated my Malwarebytes free trial last week.  And it was last week that I noticed my memory stick was having issues disconnecting when Malwarebytes was running. In my tests that I mentioned in my first post, when I turned Malwarebytes off, the USB stick disconnected just fine and this was with ESET running in the background as normal.

Is there any way that I can exclude my USB stick from being monitored by Malwarebytes if that's what's happening?

• Root Admin

I'm saying we have 250 million users. You are the first one I've heard of with this issue. I'm trying to rule out possible conflicts. I have several of my own machines plus many friends and family as well as many work machines running MBAM and none of them experience this issue. Alone maybe ESET is not an issue. maybe MBAM alone is not an issue. I'm simply wanting to isolate out at test to see if maybe together they're causing this issue. I believe you that it's happening, but why is the question. It's not a matter of exclusion - we don't scan the USB drive by default anyways.

I see what you're saying, @AdvancedSetup.  Thanks for the explanation.

So here are the results:

Before uninstalling ESET:

With only ESET running, the USB stick can successfully disconnect.  With ESET and Malwarebytes Premium running, I received an error message when I tried to disconnect the USB stick.  After manually turning off Malwarebytes, then the USB stick would successfully disconnect.

After uninstalling ESET:

With Malwarebytes Premium running, the USB stick connected and disconnected as normal.  I restarted the computer and still it behaved normally.

With ESET reinstalled:

With ESET and Malwarebytes running, the USB stick connects and disconnects as normal.  I turned the computer off and on and it continues to behave normally.

:huh:  Maybe ESET had become corrupted somehow and uninstalling it and reinstalling it fixed the issue??  Anyway, they seem to be playing nicely together for now, so I'm thankful.  I appreciate your help!