how to scan an USB stick with Mb?

By the way ...... To safely remove the stick, Menu > Devices and Printers > right click on the stick and ok. On my computers, that removes

power from the usb port until the stick is removed.

I just noticed the usb icon in the tray. Right click on it and get a pop up to remove it. I stopped using it since it didn't work

after a Windows 10 update.

Wonder how long that icon worked !!!!!

That I icon to safely remove hardware has been there since windows XP for sure, maybe longer.

If Windows 10 was asking for you to scan the USB flash drive its possible that its due to you just pulling out the USB device without stopping it first using this icon.  It wants to scan the disk for corruption.

The task bar icon stopped what it has always done and that is why I went to Devices & Printers and never rechecked the icon till now.

This was on 3 machines. There were posts about it in other forums.

That icon was there for the last time in Winows 7, as I remember. But now in Win10 it's no longer available. Win 10 didn't give me the warning to close the usb savely. The warning said that there was something wrong with the device,  and it gave me the advise to scan it before I use it.

@Marja yes its still there in Windows 10, you may have to click on the ^ up arrow to show hidden icons.  Also it looks a little different as shown in the picture below....

The warning was probably cause it wanted to do a check disk on it due to it being ejected while the flash drive was being used.

safely eject flash drive.jpg

KenW and Marja:

You can have the "Safely Eject" icon appear on the right side of your task bar, by turning it on, in "Settings", "System", Notifications & actions", and then clicking on "Select which icons appear on the task bar", on the right side of the screen, about a third of the way up.  Find "Windows Explorer - Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" and turn it on.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Thank you for your reply garioch7, but I wasn't out for a 'safely eject', but a way to scan my usb drive in case of malware. Dear KenW, I just try to do what you advise me to do: right click on the drive an choose 'scan with Malwarebytes'...... Alas, it didn't work out. The option was there to choose, but nothing happend. I did scan the drive with my McAfee, there was no virus. But Windows is still warning so I deside to let Windows do the scanning: nothing was found. Microsoft is driving me crazy with these rubbish!

@Marja, as far as I know Microsoft Windows does not ask you to scan a USB drive for viruses (unless perhaps it was windows defender, but you mentioned you used McAfee).  If windows is asking you to scan the drive it is because it wants to check for bad clusters because it detected that the drive was not cleanly removed, so it wants to perform a check disk on the drive.  Once you have scanned it you would have gotten a report that the drive was either fixed or no errors were found.

You can check if a chkdsk was performed on the drive by checking in the event logs.

Administrative tools - Event viewer - Windows logs - Application - Click on 'source' at the middle top to sort by ascending/ descending order. Locate 'wininit' and click on it to view. 

You're right about it Firefox, as you explain it now. I let Windows check the usb drive and let it 'clean' it. There was nothing wrong with the drive but the messages of Windows finally stop. It's a bit difficult to open chkdsk in Windows 10, so I trust the absence of messages that the drive is ok now. Thank you all for trying to help me out of this!

Have a nice weekend!