W7 Password changed but not be me.

Hi, weird thing happened today.  

My W7 password was changed, not by me & I had not indication that it had changed.

The only change since using the PC yesterday was the update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.223.127.0).  This installed during the session & did not require a re-boot.

I assume that it's not possible to inadvertently change the password to W7 when one logs on so it must have occurred since I logged on to the PC this morning.

I only found out because I wanted to check a stored password in Chrome & needed to type in my W7 password to see it.  It was then that I got the message "incorrect password entered."

I immediately ran a full scan (Home Premium) & shortly after starting, got a Malicious Website Protection popup.  I closed Chrome & all other browsers & ran the scan.  One PUP item detected so removed it.

I'm at a loss to know how the hell this could happen without me knowing, or at least seeing something.  I had (have) no idea what the new password was. I did try blank to see if that was ut but no.

I resolved the situation by creating a new User with admin rights, switching User & replacing the existing password for my account.  I'm logged back in under my account now & all seems OK.

Has anyone heard of or had a similar situation to this?  To say I'm a little worried would be an understatement.

Thanks for reading.

Hello and :welcome:, @Smiler:

It's hard to say what might be going on.

If you think you may be infected, or that someone with access to your machine has made changes to the system without your knowledge, then I suggest heading over to the special forum area reserved for diagnostics and cleanup.

To do that, I suggest that you please start with the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.

Thank you,