Every time I launch a program Malwarebytes Anti-malware popped up a message telling what it had done. I got the message even though the same program was run regularly. I tuned off tray notifications and they have stopped. What Ièd like to know however if Anti-malware will advise me when it has blocked an exploitÉ

Hi, and welcome:

You have posted in the MBAE (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit) forum, but your post mentions Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM).

Since they are different programs with different user interfaces, it would help us to better help you if we knew for sure which program you're posting about.:)

Thanks!

I'm sure he meant MBAE as I had to do the same thing to stop the constant irritating popups every time I launched a program. Unchecking Show system tray notification tool tips got rid of them. The concern was will this prevent MBAE from notifying if an exploit is blocked.

Edited by Ztruker

Hello to both of you::)

Some users like the notifications as a visual indicator that the program is working.

Some users do not like them.

You may disable them from the "Settings" tab in the GUI, if you wish.

AFAIK No, disabling that setting does not prevent MBAE from blocking the exploit.
And AFAIK Actual exploit blocks are always logged, regardless of that setting.

"Protection" events will still be logged (without popups), if that particular setting is enabled in the settings tab ("Log Protection Events"). 
If you don't want the program even to log those protection events (in order to keep the log size to a minimum), just disable that other setting, too.

@pbust will correct me if I am wrong.:)

FAQ HERE

All the links in the FAQ are identical as far as I can see and all point to the main FAQ page.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136424-frequently-asked-questions/#entry846344

This is with Seamonkey, Firefox and IE 11.

Edited by Ztruker

Hi:

4 minutes ago, Ztruker said:

All the links in the FAQ are identical as far as I can see and all point to the main FAQ page.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136424-frequently-asked-questions/#entry846344

This is with Seamonkey, Firefox and IE 11.

Alas, you are likely correct.  That was an "unintended consequence" of a recent forum software upgrade.  Sorry -- I thought that @pbust or someone might have been able to fix them.

In any event, I think I answered your question?

The "notifications"/popups settings only controls the notifications, not the program's anti-exploit protection.
The "log protection events" setting only controls whether or not the non-critical events about shielding a protected application are included with the program logs.

IOW, you could disable both of those, if you wish, and still be protected.

@pbust will correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.

6 hours ago, sjhoyes said:

Thanks for this. I just turned on the logging function. I assume I'll find the log in the MBAE directory. If not can you tell me where? Also what is the log named?

Thanks for your help.

Hi: 

You can just click the "logs" tab in the GUI.

To access the MBAE logs via Windows Explorer, please refer to the file paths here:

Having said that, I'm not sure they're in any sort of user-friendly format?

Cheers,

Hi, again:

15 minutes ago, Ztruker said:

This web site is also doing some poor browser sniffing as it doesn't allow Seamonkey to post a reply until I add IE11 to the User agent string.

Yes, it's a known issue with the new forum software.  I cannot seem to find the threads about it, but the MBAM team is aware.

Having said that, I don't know when it will be fixed by IPS.  As this issue relates to the forum software, not to MBAE, you might wish to post about it HERE.
That way, it will be more likely to receive attention from the Forum leadership team.

Thank you again,

Edited by daledoc1
clarify