beta6 - build 0.9.15.416

CeeBee

Just downloaded beta6 - build 0.9.15.416 (37+MB).  Before installing, can someone explain the impact and/or footprint.  Like what changes are being made and what services are loaded?  What's the running overhead in MB.  No privileged information, just in simple terms if that's possible.

Hello CeeBee:

Upon successful installation/activation, a typical home consumer beta testing platform would see mbarw.exe and MBAMService.exe tasks running in the Windows taskmanager for an approximate total of 39MB (YMMV) and MB3Service running in services.msc.  The tasks have an imperceptible load effect on a modern CPU.

Thank you for your interest in the MBARW Beta testing program.

43 minutes ago, 1PW said:

...see mbarw.exe and MBAMService.exe tasks running in the Windows taskmanager for an approximate total of 39MB (YMMV) and MB3Service running in services.msc.  The tasks have an imperceptible load effect on a modern CPU.

Thanks for the swift reply.  As I don't have a 'modern' CPU on the system in question the overhead is too great.  I note that the MBAE requires less than 1/2 that to run.  I know, apples and oranges.  Depending on where the final product ends up, I may try that later.  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Can you give an extremely brief description of the system in question?  CPU, amount of RAM and OS?

IBM PC 300PL with 800MHz PIII CPU with SSE only.  1GB RAM (2x512MB).  Very much an old legacy computer ... with many services disabled or manual.  FWIW.

Clipboard02.jpg

Good.  But note that I think the overhead is on the 'much' side even for other computers used by me (4 all together), including a Thinkpad T430s Windows 7-64 with 8GB memory.  It all adds up: MBAE, HPA, NAV, etc., etc.  Trying to run lean machines...

Cheers.

Hello CeeBee:

Many folks have missed the point with the MBARW Beta testing program.  Malwarebytes MBARW Beta developers are asking the beta testers to put the anti-ransomware core technology through its paces on a home/consumer beta testing computer, and not to think of MBARW Beta as a future standalone product/client/agent.  The current/temporary platform is merely a means to that end.  When the MBARW Beta development has successfully completed, the core technology will be rolled into existing Malwarebytes products and the MBARW Beta testing program will quite likely be retired.

Thanks again.

You are right, yes, my mind drifted for a moment.  No, in as much as I'm aware of the merging (rolled into) aspects.  And I did some beta testing for MBAE in the past.  That, of course, is (still) a separate product.

From what I have heard, the merging partner will be MBAM rather than MBAE.  From my narrow perspective, combining MBARW with MBAE would make sense, but, that may not be doable and/or may not generate the revenue expected from a boosted MBAM.  Anyhow, nice taking to you and say hi to Agnes!  :D