Schtasks.exe Window Appears After Start-Up

Hello,

~1 or 2 minutes after I start up my PC, a CMD window appears for Schtasks.exe. It hangs for a second and then disappears. It's hard to make out what it says in the box, but it something along the lines of "file not found". I've tried disabling non-essential startup tasks via CCleaner, but this has not solved the issue.

I found another thread where someone had something a little bit similar (link), and it appears that the first step is to run Farbar, post the logs, and then pray for a helpful soul.

I have attached the logs and will now commence praying.

Thanks!

(PS: as a note, I only used the "Scan" option in Farbar, not "Fix". Please let me know if i should use "Fix" as well)

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Hello and :welcome:

FRST.gif Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine. icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable. icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on FRST.gif icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please upload it to your reply.

2eyjdoj.png Check Disk

• Press the WindowsKey.png + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type cmd and click OK.
  • Copy/Enter the command below and press Enter:
    chkdsk C: /r
  • You should get a message to schedule Check Disk at next system restart. Please type Y and press Enter.
  • All you should do now is to restart your PC and let the Check Disk process finish uninterrupted.

Check Disk report:

• Press the WindowsKey.png + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type powershell.exe and click OK.
  • Copy and paste the following command inside powershell window and press Enter:
    get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.

servicerepairico.png Fix with ESET Services Repair

Please download Services Repair by ESET and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on servicerepairico.png icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • If security notifications appear, click Continue or Run.
  • Accept the prompt about restoring services.
  • Once the tool has finished, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Click Yes to restart.
  • A log will be saved in the CCSupport folder the tool created on your desktop.

Please include that logfile in your next reply.

fixlist.txt

Hi TwinHeadedEagle, thanks for your help.

I've attached the fixlog file. I'll let the chkdsk run over night and post results tomorrow.

Running the FRST fix does not appear to have solved the problem, as it appeared again after restart.

However, I do believe I saw the word "Compatelrunner.exe", which appears to be an compatiblity-upgrade checker for upgrading to Windows 10 (I do have Win10 on this PC, but it was a full install, not an in-place upgrade of a previous version of Windows)

(I did want to also quickly mention that the link for the Services Repair tool leads to a 404).

Thanks!

Fixlog.txt

Hi TwinHeadedEagle,

Chkdsk found numerous bad sectors, unfortunately, and was unable to repair a mess of damaged files. I've got a new hard drive on order, and will be doing a clean install of Windows 10.

Thank you for all of your help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!