MalwareBytes Anti-Ransomeware BETA

RTorella

I have been using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Premium for several years. I auto update every 2 hours. Recently found out about the rollout of MalwareBytes Anti-Ransomeware BETA. Downloaded and installed fine. When I restart my system, the Anti-Ransomeware program icon appears in my system toolbar and system tray. The startup shortcut set itself up as "minimum" which typically does not appear in the bottom toolbar. The icon also is highlighted as if open on the desktop or minimized to the toolbar.  See attached screenshot. I have to click on that icon, which opens the program on my desktop, then click the close button on the Anti-Ransomeware top right, to force the icon to close from the toolbar. The system tray icon remains intact as it should.

Another question: I contacted tech support and inquired as to why Ransomeware is not something that MalwareBytes Anti-Malware protects against. The agent provided me with a blog link that defined "ransomeware" as a type of malware. Their own words! My question was why the Anti-Malware premium paid version does not have that protection. Yet they rolled out a BETA randomware program. They could not answer why the current Anti-Malware does not protect against. Only that he is tech support not software development. I run a computer business and now I am concerned that my clients are not adequately protected with Norton Internet Security and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware software. I went ahead and paid for the Anti-Exploit program. But I will not pay for a third program for randomware protection when their own description lists randomware as malware!

Yesterday, I installed HitMan Pro, which is another malware, spyware program. It scanned my system and identified winmgnt.exe services as running in memory and classified it as spyware. I researched the file and found several citations that winmgnt.exe is Windows spyware. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware failed to identify, where HitMan Pro caught it. Then I found blogs on the MalwareBytes site which stated the same situations. I asked the tech support person why this would happen, with no response to my question. Any feedback on this type of issue with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware missing what others catch?

Capture.JPG

Hello, RTortella—

Thank you for your comments!  We appreciate your testing the Anti-Ransomware BETA.

20 hours ago, RTorella said:

When I restart my system, the Anti-Ransomeware program icon appears in my system toolbar and system tray.

This is actually expected behavior for this beta.  It's simply a by-product of the fact that the primary focus of the beta has been to vet the new ransomware detection technology, not to design a flashy new app.  We have definitely taken shortcuts on the user interface to focus on the higher-priority protective capability. 

I contacted tech support and inquired as to why Ransomeware is not something that MalwareBytes Anti-Malware protects against.

I apologize for the confusion with the response you received from Support.  MBAM currently protects against ransomware in a few ways, as does Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.  For more details on the various layers of protection provided by our products, please see this post (which is a sticky in this forum). 

That post also explains the intention to eventually roll the anti-ransomware technology into our Consumer and Corporate products once it is out of beta.  So no need to worry about running a third client.  :)

Yesterday, I installed HitMan Pro, which is another malware, spyware program. It scanned my system and identified winmgnt.exe services as running in memory and classified it as spyware.

No security software will detect 100% of all threats and there are many times where the opposite is true:  MBAM detects items that HMP misses.  

Our researchers would need more information on the specific threat detected to comment on why MBAM did not detect it.  Typically you can request additional help or assistance in the Malware Removal Forum, and a Virus Total report of the sample in question is very helpful.

Hopefully this info helps!  Just let us know if you have any further questions.