Prevented Windows Cumulative Updates

temp_9999

Hi,

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK 
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
RAM: 8GB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2GB
OS: Windows 10 Pro, 10586.164 - clean install (new drive) on 21 Jan 2016

Microsoft seems to be putting our Windows Cumulative Updates monthly (second Tuesday of the month) - I had no problem in February or March (note: Group policy is in effect that notifies me that updates are available but does not automatically download them). 12 April's updates ran fine until the Windows Cumulative Update (KB3147458). It got to 59% completion and then undid the changes. The error was 80070020. Tried to install this one remaining update three times without success.

Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter - fixed some things but didn't help.

Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - no errors.

Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth - no errors.

Ran sfc /scannow - no errors.

Ran WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab
Service registration is missing or corrupt  Detected 
Reset service registration 
Collected File 
File Name:  CheckSURLog.cab   (Cannot open the cabinet file)
Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find more details below.
Problems found
Service registration is missing or corrupt  Not fixed - didn't help.

Finally downloaded wushowhide.diagcab and hid the update.

10 May's updates. All updates ran fine until the Windows Cumulative Update (KB3156421). Same failures. 

Even tried clearing the windows update cache so as to download a new copy - didn't help.

Tried to empty the catroot2 folder but couldn't delete two folders and edb.log - didn't help.

Then considered what software I had installed since the 12 April updates. Got into Programs and Features and sorted on the Installed On column. Found MBARW installed on 31 March 2016. Uninstalled it and 10 May Windows Cumulative Update ran fine and in four minutes. OS build is now 10586.318.

First error in the CBS log:  2016-04-13 23:45:11, Error                 CSI    000000aa@2016/4/14:06:45:11.904 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status [gle=0x80004005]

logs.zip

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.zip

Hello temp_9999 and :welcome:

First, thank you for documenting the order of events for development team analysis.  It would be best if you were to consider a clean re-install of MBARW Beta:

1. Close all open user applications followed by a conventional Windows based uninstall of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware through the Windows system Control Panel.
2. If MBARW Beta was uninstalled successfully, the following sub-directories will have been deleted from a typical Windows x64 system:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\
                         C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\
                         C:\ProgramData\MBAMService\

3. If any of the above directories remain, please delete them manually.  If necessary, any remaining/uninstalled directory must be deleted in the Windows Safe mode.
4. Execute a conventional Windows restart to the Normal Windows boot mode and log-in through an Administrator's account. <===IMPORTANT!
5. Using an Administrator's account only, download a fresh MBARW_Setup.exe file and save to the Administrator's Desktop from the MBARW Introduction topic.
6. Right-click the saved MBARW_Setup.exe file and left-click RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the context menu and continue.
7. Upon a successful installation, please restart the computer in a conventional manner to the Windows Normal boot mode.

Please reply to your topic with the status of your reported issue.  Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valued feedback.

3 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello temp_9999 and :welcome:

First, thank you for documenting the order of events for development team analysis.  It would be best if you were to consider a clean re-install of MBARW Beta:

1. Close all open user applications followed by a conventional Windows based uninstall of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware through the Windows system Control Panel.
2. If MBARW Beta was uninstalled successfully, the following sub-directories will have been deleted from a typical Windows x64 system:

3. If any of the above directories remain, please delete them manually.  If necessary, any remaining/uninstalled directory must be deleted in the Windows Safe mode.
4. Execute a conventional Windows restart to the Normal Windows boot mode and log-in through an Administrator's account. <===IMPORTANT!
5. Using an Administrator's account only, download a fresh MBARW_Setup.exe file and save to the Administrator's Desktop from the MBARW Introduction topic.
6. Right-click the saved MBARW_Setup.exe file and left-click RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the context menu and continue.
7. Upon a successful installation, please restart the computer in a conventional manner to the Windows Normal boot mode.

Please reply to your topic with the status of your reported issue.  Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valued feedback.

Hi,

Thanks. When I uninstalled MBARW yesterday, it did delete those folders.

I'll re-install MBARW before the second Tuesday in June. Currently checking my system to see is the Windows Cumulative Update has created any problems.

• 1 month later...

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK 
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
RAM: 8GB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2GB
OS: Windows 10 Pro - clean install (new drive) on 21 Jan 2016

Firewall: Comodo Free Firewall (current)
Antivirus: Avira Free Antivirus (current)

Antimalware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium), SUPERAntiSpyware Free

Reinstalled MBARW at the end of May and then overlaid it with Beta 7 when it became available.

Microsoft's 'patch Tuesday' was June 14, 2016.

On my PC, MBARW prevented the cumulative operating system update (KB3163018) from installing, again.  

I have Windows 10 Pro and a group policy set up to just notify me when updates are available. Got notified Tuesday and used wushowhide.diagcab to hide KB3163018. Powered down overnight and on Wednesday the update was no longer listed - so I ran the remaining updates without any problems. 

Decided to do KB3163018 today, Saturday.

Unhid it, ran Windows Update to download it and selected Restart now. Working on updates got to 30% and then did a restart. After the restart Working on updates got to 61% and restarted. Got to 61% and We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer. Restarted and got We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer again. Restarted and got We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer again. Restarted with a limited account.  I restarted and was then back in my normal account.

Disabled MBARW and tried the update - same results as before.

Uninstalled MBARW and tried the update - it ran fine.

Normal folders are attached.

logs.zip

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.zip

Hello temp_9999:

The last posted archieves show that a complete uninstall was not achieved on May 14th.  Please carefully repeat the clean install process below:

2. If MBARW Beta7 was uninstalled successfully, the following sub-directories will have been deleted from a typical Windows x64 system:

5. Using an Administrator's account only, download a fresh MBARW_Setup.exe file and save to the Administrator's Desktop from the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA 7 Now Available topic.

If the system's issue repeat, please attach a new set of logs in a reply.  Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

On 5/15/2016 at 0:58 PM, temp_9999 said:

Hi,

Thanks. When I uninstalled MBARW yesterday, it did delete those folders.

I'll re-install MBARW before the second Tuesday in June. Currently checking my system to see is the Windows Cumulative Update has created any problems.

Thank you for your response.

Already taken care of last month. Since then I've reinstalled Beta 6, installed Beta 7 over top of it and uninstalled Beta 7.

The original issue in May was that the Windows Cumulative Update would not install until MBARW was uninstalled. Once MBARW was uninstalled, the windows installation ran without problem. Same issue and same resolution this month.

MBARW hasn't created problems for other types of windows updates - only the monthly one for the operating system.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost a month ago, I was also facing the "Service registration is missing or corrupt" error but starting Windows Update Related Services helped me to get rid with this error.

Here's how to Start Windows Update Related Services:

• Open Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys together and type services.msc in it then press Enter.
  • Search for Windows Update from the list of services and choose the startup type as automatic from here.
  • Next you have to click on Start option if it was stopped by default.
  • Select Apply and click on OK option.
  • Now search for Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Cryptographic Service.
  • Repeat all the previous steps to start them and then reboot your computer.

Thanks !!

Reference:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-10-service-registration-is-missing-or/a2bfb3c3-665f-4f22-92d9-cf82f0a950be

http://www.zerodollartips.com/service-registration-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-10-fix/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Microsoft's Patch Tuesday for the OS was July 12, 2016. Hid the Cumulative Update and let the other patches install. They did so without any problems. Today I installed the Cumulative Update (KB3172985).

1st time:

Downloaded KB3172985 and changed from schedule boot to immediate. Install got to 30% and then did a restart. Got to 58%, couldn't complete the updates / undoing changes and did a restart. Couldn't complete the updates / undoing changes and did a restart. Couldn't complete the updates / undoing changes and did a restart. Started up in a limited account. I restarted and my desktop was how it was originally.

2nd time:

Disabled MBARW. Restarted and MBARW came up disabled. Repeated 1st time process. Outcome was no different.

3rd time:

Uninstalled MBARW. Received notice that not all of it was uninstalled. Checked File Explorer and found only C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes so I deleted it. Restarted. Downloaded  KB3172985 and changed from schedule boot to immediate. Install got to 30% and then did a restart. Got to 100%, restarted and it was done and good.

Hello temp_9999:

Despite having been uninstalled, please try to create the following zipped archives for MBARW developer team analysis:

Create a .zip archive of the directory C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\
Create another .zip archive of the directory C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\

Please attach the zipped archives to your next reply.  Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valuable feedback.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Same problem. Same fix. No logs this time. (Didn't do the August 2 Anniversary update and just got around to doing the other Cumulative Update that came out for August - had uninterruptible power supply problems.)

I've decided that since this seems to be a problem just for me that there's no reason for me to continue posting about this.