False Positive: PilotshubApp.exe (Windows Feedback app)

lx07

PilotshubApp.exe from Windows Feedback App was quarantined when I was trying to provide feedback to Microsoft. 

From the log:  "Error opening file C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub_1.2.1001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PilotshubApp.exe : Access is denied.

Requested files are enclosed.  I can't include the exe as when I try to restore it it fails.  The version is from Windows 10 insider build 14342.

logs.zip

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.zip

MBAR.PNG

Reference: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/A195E69D266A398C3E76823D70D54C73E1F076AE8CA7CA8275CF356A5443FD20/analysis/ Unsigned

Hello lx07 and :welcome:

Does the W10x64 system in question have a Windows System Restore Point (SRP), Full System Backup, or an image of the system's C: partition?

Of course the backup would need to be prior to the reported MBARW Beta6 quarantine, and after the most recent updates for the W10 insider build itself.

Thank you for participating in the MBARW Beta testing program.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately every time you upgrade Windows to a new build it turns off system protection and deletes all your restore points.  That is a MS issue not a MBAR issue.

I actually don't care that the MS feedback app doesn't work. If I cared I'd restore PilotshubApp.exe from my ISO.  If it is wanted by developers I'll restore it and send it but it is a standard MS program so probably not required.

This was just a report for the Malwarebytes developers.  There are 2 issues - firstly it is a false positive and secondly (like lots of other threads here) the restore function doesn't work if you don't have authority to the directory you are trying to put the .exe back to (in this case C:\Program Files\WindowsApps).

I'll send any more info if it is interesting or wanted but I don't need help restoring the .exe

Hello lx07:

Your update is appreciated.  The MBARW Beta development team monitors this sub-forum, and they are also aware of similar reports for which they are working on a solution.

Thank you.

I assumed that the development team monitored this forum.  That is presumably the point or you may as well not bother having a beta program at all. 

As I said before there have been other problems reported with the same cause (lack of authority).

Do you work for Malwarebytes out of interest?  Or you just like making posts?

Hello @Teqels and :welcome:

It is disappointing to read your testing system is having MBARW Beta issues but each computer is unique.  Problems that seem "the same" frequently are not.

The same is true for solutions.  Solutions may often need to be individualized for your unique testing system.

It is less confusing for everyone if a "One Member Per Topic" policy is adhered to instead of posting to the topic of another member.

Development Team Members, Staffers, and Helpers will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP/Topic Starter, with individualized assistance.

Please start a NEW, and SEPARATE topic by left-clicking this >>Start New Topic<< link now.

Thank you always for your patience and understanding.