Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Malwarebytes not removing PUPs after being Selected for Removal

I have an issue with free edition of the software version 2.2.0.1024. After running a scan of my system, I have PUPs that being detected but when selecting to remove them with the check marks they are not being removed at all. It just shows 0 threats successfully quarantined and the finish selection is grayed out unable to select it. Is this a bug that needs to be addressed? Please find a resolution to this problem. I will be waiting on reply

Ken

Hello Kenguil and welcome to Malwarebytes,

My screen name is kevinf80, i`m here to help clean up your system, continue as follows please:

Please download MBAM-clean and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on mbam-clean.exe icon and select user posted image Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • It will ask you to reboot the machine - please do so.
  • Run the cleaner tool again, re-boot when complete. <<<---do not miss this step

Download & install the newset MBAM version.

Please download user posted imageMalwarebytes Anti-Malware

• Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • In the same tab, under PUP and PUM detections make sure it is set to Treat detections as malware.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.

Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

Next,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach those logs to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your reply...

Thank you,

Kevin...

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your help in this matter. The scan tab still shows the same results as before of 0 threats successfully quarantined with the finish grayed out but this time with the newer version they are showing up in the quarantine under the History tab. In the last version they did not show up at all. I performed a Re-scan but still having the same issue, the PUPs are not being removed. I'm attaching the files from the scan per your instructions. Due to the Detail of the files from the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, the files has been sanitized for versions and dates of files and software for security reasons hope you understand.

Thanks

Ken 

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Inital save results before removal 5 11 2016.txt

Save after reboot next day 5 12 2016.txt

Save after selecting removal 5 11 2016.txt

I do understand why you may change results in FRST logs. That however creats a problem for me, I cannot see true log results and therefore cannot create a fix list for you to run...

To move forward I need to see the logs before they they were altered... Thousands of posters come to Malwarebytes for help, produced logs are posted without any changes so that we can give the help they need...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!