Help on this Problem

Hello a Pleasant evening to all of you,

I received this message earlier and don't what generally caused it. I also don't know if this is a big problem to my PC or not.

any input on the attached image? was it caused by a virus, rogue application or malware on my pc?

please help

what2.png

Hello and :welcome::

Let's see if some basic diagnostic logs might help explain what's going on.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply as well.
  • In many cases the logs are too large to post and in those cases you should attach the file if needed.
  • Click on the More Reply Options button, then click on the Browse button to locate your log then click the Attach button to attach the log to your post.

Please attach both logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) to your next reply in this thread.  Someone will review the logs and advise you further.

Thanks,

Hi:

2 minutes ago, CrimsonMoon said:

It says, 

What is "it"?:unsure:

Are you saying that you are unable to download and run the FRST tool?
This link to the FRST page HERE works fine for me, as do both of the download links.

3 minutes ago, CrimsonMoon said:

We apologize for the temporary outage. The administrators have been notified and the problem should be rectified soon.

Please try again shortly.

Where did you see that message?

Sorry for the questions, but we're just trying to help you.  If you can possibly provide the requested logs from FRST, we would be better able to do so.:)

Thanks,

2 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

@mrdodrop:

Each computer is unique.

Problems that sound "the same" often are not. The same is true for the solution, which often needs to be customized.

So, to reduce confusion for everyone, I suggest that you please start your own, new, separate thread and that you please include the standard diagnostic logs ATTACHED to that new post.

Thanks for your understanding,

Please.....

Thanks,

8 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Thanks for the logs.

We'll need to wait for a Malwarebytes staff member or other expert forum member to review them and to advise you further.

Thanks for your patience.

Hello and thank you for the quick response, 

I will await further replies from Staff or Experts here. 

I hope it isn't anything serious. 

I've got a hunch though through reading the Addition.txt that this caused the message.

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/11/2016 08:45:16 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
cdrom

• Root Admin

I will try to review your logs a little later today. Here is some information for you about this issue.

What is Interactive Services Detection and Why is it Blinking at Me?
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2010/04/27/what-is-interactive-services-detection-and-why-is-it-blinking-at-me/

Troubleshooting Interactive Services Detection
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2011/03/14/troubleshooting-interactive-services-detection/

Thanks

Hello, I followed the instructions you posted and it lead to this on Event Viewer..

A device or program has requested attention. Device or application: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_421189da2b7fabfc\COMCTL32.dll. Message title: .

• Root Admin

Don't think you're infected but MBAM is crashing for some reason. We should probably have you try a clean removal and reinstall to see if that corrects the error.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

You don't appear to have the driver for the SM Bus Controller installed.

SM Bus Controller or System Management Controller is a Chipset on the Motherboard. Its main purpose is to monitor the board's voltage and temperature

Depending on who the Manufacturer of the computer is you can obtain the chipset driver from their support website. Here is an example from Dell.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN129933/EN

Basically whenever possible you should not have any Yellow or Red device in your Device Manager.

I would recommend that you make a fresh new System Restore Point first though before changing or adding any drivers just in case.

You also have PowerDVD 9 that in some cases can be a bit finicky and possibly cause such an issue. Unless you really need to have it start up every time the computer starts you might want to remove it from auto starting. In general reducing items that start on startup can help improve performance overall.

You might also want to look at running a Temp file cleaner like the one below.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Give those things a try and let us know how things go.

Don't forget about backing up your data - very important these days.

Backup Software

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup

6 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Don't think you're infected but MBAM is crashing for some reason. We should probably have you try a clean removal and reinstall to see if that corrects the error.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

You don't appear to have the driver for the SM Bus Controller installed.

SM Bus Controller or System Management Controller is a Chipset on the Motherboard. Its main purpose is to monitor the board's voltage and temperature

Depending on who the Manufacturer of the computer is you can obtain the chipset driver from their support website. Here is an example from Dell.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN129933/EN

Basically whenever possible you should not have any Yellow or Red device in your Device Manager.

I would recommend that you make a fresh new System Restore Point first though before changing or adding any drivers just in case.

You also have PowerDVD 9 that in some cases can be a bit finicky and possibly cause such an issue. Unless you really need to have it start up every time the computer starts you might want to remove it from auto starting. In general reducing items that start on startup can help improve performance overall.

You might also want to look at running a Temp file cleaner like the one below.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Give those things a try and let us know how things go.

Don't forget about backing up your data - very important these days.

Backup Software

Ron

will be doing what you instructed! :) thanks.

so the file path is from MBAM? maybe it was caused by the update from MBAM?

37 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Not sure what is really causing a crash but often we find a clean reinstall will fix for most users. If it still continues then we'll look further at what's causing it.

The message never popped out again though,right after i just closed it and Malwarebytes scan seems to be doing just fine.

still wondering what really caused the message to pop out though, since I traced that the comctl32.dll is an application extension. I just dont know for what app.

21 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No it often does not happen over and over. Sometimes it will be once, sometimes a few times but in rare cases it will be all the time and then it's quite annoying and one is pressed to fix it.

Nvm, Just read the log myself and am 100% sure that MBAM did cause the message due to a crash. Maybe it was because i haven't used the PC for a long time hence Malwarebytes also not being updated for quite some time.