CPU usage

I run a Malwarebytes scan when there's nothing else going on so expect it to whip through pretty quickly, but I find that Malwarebytes is using only 4-5% of CPU time and takes quite a long time to run, even though nothing else is happening. Is it possible to tweak something to devote a much larger percentage of CPU time to Malwarebytes so that it whips through when I run a scan? Thanks.

Hi Andy :)

It would be nice if you could post a Speccy snapshot of your system, so we can see what hardware you're working with.

HpLn1DX.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot

Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:

• Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);

Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;

• Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;

• After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;

• A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;

• A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to  your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;

Can't find any way to edit a post so I'm creating a new reply.

Funny thing about this Speccy ap -- while it's open my cursor goes "sticky" (i.e. about once a second it stops tracking for about a quarter of a second).

All fine once I close down the ap.

Wow that was a quick one... CPU was up at 25% occupancy and the scan completed in 4:39.

I guess my question really concerns why there is only 25% CPU occupancy (and little activity on the SSD too), or to put it another way, can't I just assign 100% occupancy to Malwarebytes and get it over with ASAP?

Incidentally, Norton quick scan does the same low occupancy thing, but the full scan really blasts it. How does the system decide on CPU allocation?

I guess my question really concerns why there is only 25% CPU occupancy (and little activity on the SSD too), or to put it another way, can't I just assign 100% occupancy to Malwarebytes and get it over with ASAP?

I guess that only a Malwarebytes Staff will be able to answer that one.

How does the system decide on CPU allocation?

Same as above. 

If you open Malwarebytes, and go to the Settings tab, and click on Advanced Settings in the left pane, do you have the last checkbox checked? Mine is in French, but the rough translation would be "Reduce analyse priority to enhance multitasking".

• Root Admin

The opposite has been an issue for many users over the years complaining that we're using too much CPU so the Dev Team has worked on reducing CPU and Memory usage overall. Even with the paid version there is no way to increase CPU allotment. You  can trim it back though.

Sounds about right -- I'm walking against the crowd again ;-)

It would be nice to have the choice, but it's a brilliant weapon to have in the armoury so I won't complain.

Thank you for making MB available to me, and for your assistance here AdvancedSetup.