Malwarebytes Anti-malware only runs as admin

Hi, basically on my PC I have two accounts. An admin account and a regular account. I use my regular account 99% of the time and for some reason today MB prevented me from running it's AM.

I used to be able to double click the desktop icon and away I went. But now, I need to right click the desktop icon, run as admin and do it that way. Even then, when I want it to run, I can't do run it double clicking the desktop icon. I have to run it via the icon in the toolbar. If this common, that's fine. But it worked with no 'issues' before. I have managed to update and scan since with no problems found. So just a bit confused, thanks.

Hello and welcome back:

The issues you report seem to be very similar to (or identical to) the questions that were discussed in your previous topic here:

Briefly, MBAM is designed to be installed, configured and (for Premium version) activated from a Windows ADMIN account.  Once that's done, all scheduled tasks (update checks and scans) will run silently from the system account.  There ought to be little need to a user in a LUA to open the scanner/dashboard, except perhaps to run a manual, on-demand scan.

Even when MBAM is installed from an Admin account, opening the scanner/dashboard from the desktop shortcut icon will generate a Windows UAC prompt on platforms running Vista or higher.  This is normal behavior, controlled by Windows.

For MBAM Premium (assuming it has been properly installed/configured/activated), one may also open the dashboard/scanner without a UAC prompt by double-left-clicking the MBAM system tray icon.

If that's not the behavior you see or if you did NOT install MBAM from a Windows Admin account, then there may be something amiss with your MBAM installation.

The fastest way to get back up and running might be to just perform a proper, CLEAN reinstall by carefully following ALL of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal 2x.

• It's important to have your license info handy and to deactivate your license (dashboard > my account > deactivate) before you start;
  • It's also important to reboot when prompted by the removal tool; it's a good idea to reboot again after the reinstall;
  • And it's important to be logged in to Windows from an Admin account when you perform the reinstall.

If you prefer, instead, to have us look a bit more deeply into what's going on first, then it would help to have a bit more system info. 
To provide that, please follow the steps in this pinned topic and then please ATTACH all 3 logs to your next reply in this thread: Diagnostic Logs

Thank you,

4 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Hello and welcome back:

The issues you report seem to be very similar to (or identical to) the questions that were discussed in your previous topic here:

Briefly, MBAM is designed to be installed, configured and (for Premium version) activated from a Windows ADMIN account.  Once that's done, all scheduled tasks (update checks and scans) will run silently from the system account.  There ought to be little need to a user in a LUA to open the scanner/dashboard, except perhaps to run a manual, on-demand scan.

Even when MBAM is installed from an Admin account, opening the scanner/dashboard from the desktop shortcut icon will generate a Windows UAC prompt on platforms running Vista or higher.  This is normal behavior, controlled by Windows.

For MBAM Premium (assuming it has been properly installed/configured/activated), one may also open the dashboard/scanner without a UAC prompt by double-left-clicking the MBAM system tray icon.

If that's not the behavior you see or if you did NOT install MBAM from a Windows Admin account, then there may be something amiss with your MBAM installation.

The fastest way to get back up and running might be to just perform a proper, CLEAN reinstall by carefully following ALL of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal 2x.

• It's important to have your license info handy and to deactivate your license (dashboard > my account > deactivate) before you start;
  • It's also important to reboot when prompted by the removal tool; it's a good idea to reboot again after the reinstall;
  • And it's important to be logged in to Windows from an Admin account when you perform the reinstall.

If you prefer, instead, to have us look a bit more deeply into what's going on first, then it would help to have a bit more system info. 
To provide that, please follow the steps in this pinned topic and then please ATTACH all 3 logs to your next reply in this thread: Diagnostic Logs

Thank you,

I'll definitely have a look at re-installing it. Again, it's not a huge issue it's just to run MBAM I have use a different method now than I did yesterday (and for 6 weeks before that). That's what confused me.

I can still update, scan and have real time protection enabled once I get it to run, so I don't think it's a problem persay, just the change in method accessing MBAM was unexpected 

Hi:

To try to resolve this with a minimum of confusion and speculation, I suggest either of the two pathways mentioned in my previous reply -- EITHER a "CLEAN" reinstall, OR providing a bit of system information in the form of the 3 requested diagnostic logs.:)

Thanks,

• 5 weeks later...

Just to clarify...if a PC is logged into both a non-admin account and an admin account at the same time, but the non-admin account is the currently active account (perhaps with screensaver activated), will a scheduled threat scan run? This could explain why sometimes my scans don't run.