BSOD - W7 plus Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 and MBAM Premier Home 2016

Hi, I'm starting this 'new'topic at Maurice's suggestion after adding my 'íssue' to the topic created by KostasD- thanks Maurice !!.

A brief update;

At the time of me commenting in KostasD's topic I had put MBAM exclusions in BD and BD's exclusions in MBAM (although I could not find the link or button for 'both' in the BD settings). I had also switched off MBAM real-time protection (which I would rather keep switched on !!) and kept all BD settings as before the BSODs. Since then I have had no BSODs (26 had occurred before in the previous month). Note that my BD settings for 'on-access' and  'active'  threat had both been 'normal'. I have, since reading Maurice's comments yesterday, set the 'active' threat setting to 'permissive'.   

So, what's my next step ? At the moment I may have started a BSOD-free period (hopefully !), but my real-time MBAM protection is switched off. Do I stick with this situation or try something else that will allow me to have real-time protection running as well ?

Just to recap; I had MBAM and BD running on this pc for 17 months with no problems until 29 March (and on my previous pc for a few years, also with no BSOD problems). So it seems that some update to MBAM and/or BD around 29 March  - but seemingly MBAM - has caused the BSODs. I had not installed any new hardware or software prior to March 29.

Incidentally I had been in contact with BD on these BSODs and they had me check a lot of things etc but could not identify the problem concisely, though I suspect they felt the issue was not with BD.

Thanks again Maurice,......(.and KostasD and TimBerlin and USASMA for your information).....your continued advice is most welcome !!!!

ColinT

Some comments, if I may.  I thought we had had you squared away already.   Especially after the tips from the other thread.

Second, I do not buy in to the efficacy of "whocrashed" as being one that can really accurately pin down the real issue.

As to your last question, there is no need for you to go hunting for "mwac".   As long as you have the latest version 2.2.1.1043 of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

The "mwac" is a component of our software that is automatically installed when you install the program.

18 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the clarification on mwac. I do have the latest version of MBAM. On 'whocrashed', I am sure you know more about them and many other 'problem analysers/advisers' than I do. My main point was to let you know I had run the program and that was the message it gave.

Just to confirm; is my way forward now to continue with the exclusions I've made and also leave MBAM real-time web protection switched off.

Thanks in advance

Make the Trust exclusions, Yes.       ( keeping malicious website protection off is up to you.  with that off you should encounter no more crashes).

Click the Modules button on the main screen of BitDefender.
This takes you to the Protection tab.  Click the gear-icon for *Antivirus*.
You will have a new window with 3 tabs named across the top.  Click the one marked *Exclusions*
Next click the blue line marked *Excluded processes*

You ought to see about having the EXE files of Malwarebytes listed there and showing action of *Allow*.
Use the attached image as a guide.  You would need to ADD each EXE one at a time.     When done press Close.

For 64 bit versions of Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Once that is done, I would suggest that you Reboot the machine.BD_av_excludes.png

You can go to Windows Start and select the RUN option.    press Windows-key +R on the keyboard.

Then type in

msinfo32

and press Enter key.  This is the MS System Information applet.  Look on the System Information section.  What it shows under Baseboard manufacturer, Name, Brand.

Alternatively, you may also run a tool named Speccy from Piriform.

That is ok.  The whole point of asking if it had an Asus systemboard was only because some of those have special added drivers.

If your laptop / pc is doing well, then fine.

The whole gist was simply to suggest that your pc have the latest released hardware drivers from the manufacturer.  That is one.

The other is to see that all your application programs also have the latest current updates, too.

Hi Maurice,

Just had a message from BD people that my solution is one of two options;

1. Deactivate MBAM real time malicious webe protection - (which I currently have done)

2. Go back to Bitdefender 2015 if MBAM 2016 with MBAM realtime malicious web protection activated.

All my programs have the latest uploads !!

thanks for all your help, much appreciated !!!

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Please see the post by Becky Dubrow at this link  

We are actively working with Bitdefender and they're aware of these reports, so hopefully there will be a solution soon.

For now, based on our own investigation, it seems if you disable the Block port scans in network setting in the Bitdefender firewall feature, these crashes stop.

This solution has worked well for several other Malwarebytes users.

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the heads-up !

I just got a mail from BD suggesting the same thing (disable Block port scans ) so it looks like we're on to something !! They ask me to run a few days with the BD function disabled and MBAM real time malicious web protection enabled and let them know if I get any crashes. Will keep you posted !!

Hi,

No BSODs so far. I've not been intensively using my PC, just a few hours each day but normally I would have expected a BSOD by now with the settings from pre 29 March, based on the frequency of the 27 or so BSODs that I got after that date.

OP at this link reports the same advice being given by BitDefender:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613814/win-10-bad-pool-caller-bad-pool-header/?p=4011513

I finally got email from bitdefender re running malewarebytes and DB-2016 at the same time - ending in a BSOD.

They say: "We have also identified the cause of the blue screen that occurs when both when Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Bitdefender 2016 are on the system. The Bitdefender developers are working on a fix which will be delivered soon by automatic update. As a temporary workaround, please turn off Block port scans in the network from Bitdefender 2016 > Modules > Firewall to prevent another crash.

Rest assured that we will let you know about the fix as soon as we launch it."

Right now I can't run MWB at the same time - even if I start MWB after windows starts.  If  turning "off Block port scans in the network"

works as a temporary fix - allowing me to also run MWB - I'll be happy.

Jim