MBAM 2.2.1.1043

I moved my MalwareBytes AntiMalware to a new Lenovo T430 Laptop.

For a while I kept finding every now and then that it had somehow been disabled.

Tonight I think I've figured out what was happening and found the solution.

I think it was being disabled every time I rebooted. I often just sleep the laptop and let Intel Quick Start kick in after 3 hours so I don't do that many actual reboots and I hadn't noticed it coincided with rebooting. Well, I'm pretty certain it was only after rebooting.

I would have to start MBAM from the start menu so that it's icon appeared in the system tray area and then right click that icon in the tray area and re-enable "Malware Protection" and "Malicious Website Protection" Then it would be all working until, I think, I next rebooted.

Now I have discovered that if I also disable "Self Protection" and reboot once with it like that before re-enabling "Self Protection" and "Early Start" it seems, so far, to stay enabled properly, even through a reboot.

I thought it might be worth reporting this.

Hi !  When you removed your Malwarebytes from your old computer to your new laptop. Did you Deactivate it first?  see below & post back please.... & let us know ......Thanks

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/  

This will deactivate your license from the current computer, allowing you to install it on another computer.

Edited by yardbird
more info

Hi, @bdg2:

The behavior you describe does not appear to be related to licensing, per se, although I presume that you are using a 1-PC consumer license and that it is currently activated on only 1 system.

Rather, the behavior you describe seems to be some sort of interaction between your laptop's power settings and the MBAM Self-Protection module, or perhaps some sort of subtle software conflict.

I'm not aware of anyone else reporting it, at least here in the forum.
So, it would assist the QA team if you could please provide a bit of basic system info.
I suggest that you please follow the steps in this pinned topic to produce both Logset 1 and Logset 2: Diagnostic Logs
Then, please ATTACH all 3 logs to your next reply here in this thread.
Additional information (or perhaps a clean reinstall) may be needed, but those logs will be a good troubleshooting starting point.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, yardbird said:

Hi !  When you removed your Malwarebytes from your old computer to your new laptop. Did you Deactivate it first?  see below & post back please.... & let us know ......Thanks

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/  

This will deactivate your license from the current computer, allowing you to install it on another computer.

No I don't think I did.

12 minutes ago, bdg2 said:

No I don't think I did.

That may or may not be contributing to your issue.

License validation/activation issues generally show up in other ways, e.g. with 403 or 404 errors.

If you still have your older computer, yes, you should certainly deactivate the MBAM license on that system.  Running 2 Premium activations on the same 1-PC license could eventually cause the license to be blacklisted.

If you cannot deactivate the license on the old system because it's not bootable, then you might want to contact Support HERE to explain the situation.

Having said all that, the issue you describe does not appear to be a direct result of a licensing problem.
It would still help the QA team to see the information in the Diagnostic Logs previously requested.:)

Failing that, you might want to try a proper, clean reinstall, following all the steps in this tutorial: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Thank you,

Edited by daledoc1
clarification

Well, it appears somebody noticed that I admitted here to having the same license on two PCs.

I now can't activate the old license on the new laptop long enough to get the log files. It keeps getting de-activated.

And Yes I did deactivate it on the old PC and I did buy another one and re-activate the old PC too. I deactivated and then immediately activated the new license - I did not use change license.

I'm not sure what's going on. :wacko:

Is mbam-check-2.3.2.0.exe supposed to leave MBAM in a disabled/deactivated state?

This last time it seems to have reactivated itself after a reboot. But I don't think it did last time. This reboot I disabled self protection before rebooting.

Attached are the three diagnostic logs.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

8 hours ago, Firefox said:

Something that popup up in my head... maybe check your advanced settings and make sure they match like in the image below to make sure your MBAM is set to start with windows...
<picture snipped>

Well. I don't think that was it.

Bit it is a bit confusing. There are three options in that box you showed a picture of, and the same three options when you right click the little icon in the tray area. But changing one set (say the ones when right clicking the icon) does not seem to change the other set (say the ones in the box). Instead you seem to have to make sure both sets are set as you want before it works.

Hi:

No, mbam-check does not leave MBAM in a "disabled" state -- it is merely a diagnostic scanner that provides information about the MBAM installation on the system on which the tools is run.  If the protection modules are disabled, it's due to something else (e.g. system configuration, licensing problem, software conflict, networking issue, or even malware).

As for the settings, I suggest following the instructions from @Firefox -- the best place to change those settings is in the "dashboard" or "GUI".  You may open it either by double-left-clicking the system tray icon (MBAM Trial or Premium), or double-left-clicking the MBAM desktop shortcut icon, or by opening it from the Windows start menu.  I wouldn't bother with trying to change the settings from the system tray right-click context menu. 

(MBAM Free does not provide real-time protection. So, as far as I know, there is no MBAM system tray icon under MBAM Free.  Therefore one cannot change the settings that way, and the Advanced Settings for Real-time protection are not available in the Free version anyway.)

I apologize, but your posts and the logs have confused me a bit about the license(s).
The CheckResults.txt log for the Lenovo computer you posted shows that you have previously used the 14-Day Trial on that computer, and that you now have MBAM Free on that system. So, there is no properly activated license for MBAM Premium on that particular computer.

But you have reported that you "bought another one".
Does this mean that you now have 2 separate, 1-PC, Consumer/Home Premium licenses -- one for each computer, the "old" one and the "new" one????:unsure:

**If you have 2 licenses for 2 computers, and if you are having problems activating either one or both, the best way to sort this out will be to contact the Help Desk by submitting an email ticket here: Contact Consumer Help Desk

**If you have only a single, 1-PC license that you tried to activate on more than one computer, that might have caused a validation issue. Normally, that manifests as a "403" or "404" or similar error.  But you have not reported such an error.  As such, it's not clear what's going on.  So, the advice is the same: the best way to sort this out will be to contact the Help Desk by submitting an email ticket here: Contact Consumer Help Desk

The Help Desk folks have access to the information necessary to better sort out complex licensing issues.

Thank you for your interest and patience,

1 hour ago, daledoc1 said:

Hi:

No, mbam-check does not leave MBAM in a "disabled" state -- it is merely a diagnostic scanner that provides information about the MBAM installation on the system on which the tools is run.  If the protection modules are disabled, it's due to something else (e.g. system configuration, licensing problem, software conflict, networking issue, or even malware).

As for the settings, I suggest following the instructions from @Firefox -- the best place to change those settings is in the "dashboard" or "GUI".  You may open it either by double-left-clicking the system tray icon (MBAM Trial or Premium), or double-left-clicking the MBAM desktop shortcut icon, or by opening it from the Windows start menu.  I wouldn't bother with trying to change the settings from the system tray right-click context menu. 

(MBAM Free does not provide real-time protection. So, as far as I know, there is no MBAM system tray icon under MBAM Free.  Therefore one cannot change the settings that way, and the Advanced Settings for Real-time protection are not available in the Free version anyway.)

I apologize, but your posts and the logs have confused me a bit about the license(s).
The CheckResults.txt log for the Lenovo computer you posted shows that you have previously used the 14-Day Trial on that computer, and that you now have MBAM Free on that system. So, there is no properly activated license for MBAM Premium on that particular computer.

But you have reported that you "bought another one".
Does this mean that you now have 2 separate, 1-PC, Consumer/Home Premium licenses -- one for each computer, the "old" one and the "new" one????:unsure:

**If you have 2 licenses for 2 computers, and if you are having problems activating either one or both, the best way to sort this out will be to contact the Help Desk by submitting an email ticket here: Contact Consumer Help Desk

**If you have only a single, 1-PC license that you tried to activate on more than one computer, that might have caused a validation issue. Normally, that manifests as a "403" or "404" or similar error.  But you have not reported such an error.  As such, it's not clear what's going on.  So, the advice is the same: the best way to sort this out will be to contact the Help Desk by submitting an email ticket here: Contact Consumer Help Desk

The Help Desk folks have access to the information necessary to better sort out complex licensing issues.

Thank you for your interest and patience,

I can assure you that the two sets of Enable Malware Protecion and Enable Malicious Website Protection settings have been separate and both needed to be enabled for quite a while. This is not something new I just noticed. I can remember struggling to work out what I needed to do to enable everything before I realised this.

Yes I now have 2 separate, 1-PC, Home Premium licenses.

Message sent to Consumer Help Desk.

This forum seems pretty messed up too.

If you start quoting a message and change your mind nothing seems to get it back in to a usable state apart from clearing all forum.malwarebytes.org cookies.

Edited by bdg2

Hi:

9 hours ago, bdg2 said:

I can assure you that the two sets of Enable Malware Protecion and Enable Malicious Website Protection settings have been separate and both needed to be enabled for quite a while. This is not something new I just noticed. I can remember struggling to work out what I needed to do to enable everything before I realised this.

Thanks for reporting that.

TBH, I've never noticed it and you are the first one to report that behavior.

9 hours ago, bdg2 said:

Yes I now have 2 separate, 1-PC, Home Premium licenses.

Message sent to Consumer Help Desk.

OK, that sounds good.

While you are waiting to hear back from them, you might want to try a proper, clean reinstall on the Lenovo system for which you provided the logs.
The logs suggest that it is running an "expired" Trial version of MBAM that has reverted to the Free version at the end of the Trial and that has not yet been activated with a valid license.  But some of the settings appear to have been retained.
To do so, I suggest carefully following ALL of the steps in this pinned topic: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
It's very important to reboot when prompted by the removal tool; it won't hurt to reboot again after the reinstall.
You'll need to have your correct license info for THIS computer handy before you start - you will need the license info to activate the program to the Premium, licensed version.

Thanks again,

Edited by daledoc1
grammar typo/clarification

8 hours ago, bdg2 said:

This forum seems pretty messed up too.

If you start quoting a message and change your mind nothing seems to get it back in to a usable state apart from clearing all forum.malwarebytes.org cookies.

Yes, the new forum software has some very frustrating quirks.;)

If you would like to provide feedback about the IPS v4 forum software, a special area of the forum has been created for that purpose: FAQ, Issues & Feedback

Thanks!

17 hours ago, bdg2 said:

Well. I don't think that was it.

Bit it is a bit confusing. There are three options in that box you showed a picture of, and the same three options when you right click the little icon in the tray area. But changing one set (say the ones when right clicking the icon) does not seem to change the other set (say the ones in the box). Instead you seem to have to make sure both sets are set as you want before it works.

In addition to Daledoc1's advice, here is the difference that will help make more sense of this.

The right click of the tray icon (now called notification icon) allows you to enable / disable those option on a session basis.  Meaning that if you use the right click to enable, it should remain enabled until you either

1. Disable it again using the same manner;
  2. Exit out of Anti-malware;
  3. Log out of your computer;
  4. Reboot your computer.

The options that Firefox show in the picture set these same options to be enabled or disabled when you boot your computer.  Placing the check there will enable that option for boot, the next time that you boot.

If you want all three enabled on boot, you'll need to make sure that all three are enabled - but the first option will only enable when you are running either the trial version or the premium version - meaning your key (and ID, if you have one) will have to be entered into Anti-Malware and be accepted as valid before those options that Firefox showed in the screenshot can be enabled.

So, first you need to get the licensing issue straightened out.  Once you do that, then those options will be enabled and should stay enabled.  Then, when you next reboot, those options should remain enabled.  Once those options in the screenshot are enabled on a working Trial / premium version, then you'll see that the options from the right-click will also be enabled, meaning that you will see them checked.

Again, start with Windows only works on the time-limited trial version as well as on premium version.  It does not work on the free version (Note: after the trial has expired, it will also stop working.  In the case of the key being deactivated, either by yourself, or by the MB servers, it will also cease to work.  The way to fix it is to enter a valid key and make it Premium version again - which is where you seem to be at right now, in trying to get your key working).  And since start with Windows will not work on free version, neither will the others - Anti-Malware cannot start on boot, so neither can the protections. 

I hope this makes more sense now.

So, getting back to your issues, follow Daledoc1's advice and get your license straightened out with the Help Desk, and then you can get the rest of this resolved as well.