Web Exclusions settings

Hello everyone

i have few questions + little issue here with web exclusions

so i want to whitelist few url that blocked by malwarebytes

do i need to add www. before domain name to whitelist?

or with or without www.  it will cover all ....

can i make rule something like *.whitelisteddomain.* ?

so anything in front and either .com/.net/.org etc. whitelisted

the issue i am getting with web exlusions is that, even i add domain name to whitelist, it still not letting view the sites...

i need to add server IP also to whitelist....

is that they way web-exclusions work ?

or they more better way for whitelisting domain

thanks in advance

Hi, @slyphnier,

From the Users Guide:  https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/

Add Domain

Clicking the Add Domain button allows you to exclude an Internet domain from Malwarebytes Website Protection. You can also add an Internet domain exclusion when it is blocked by Malwarebytes Website Protection by clicking the link in the block notification message. Please note the following two important items:

• If adding a domain manually, you should add it both with and without the "www." prefix. Depending on several external factors, the domain may still be blocked if only one variation is entered.
  • The ability to add a domain to the Web Exclusion list is only functional on Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10.

Here is a link to the guide in PDF format: https://www.malwarebytes.org/pdf/guides/MalwarebytesAntiMalwareUserGuide.pdf

And here is a link to all the guides:  https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/

HTH

Hi:

In addition to @John L. Galt's helpful and expert advice...:)

First: MBAM blocks IPs/domains for a reason.  If you are getting a lot of IP blocks from MBAM, it's probably doing its job.  If you think a particular site/IP/domain is safe and should not be blocked, a safer approach than setting a lot of exclusions might be first to submit the IP and URL in the website False Positive section of the forum HERE.  The Malware Researchers will advise you as to whether the block may or may not be lifted.  You can then make a more informed decision about whether or not to exclude that IP/domain/site.

Second: as for your wildcard question, NO, that is a very dangerous approach, as explained here:

Add IP

Clicking the Add IP button allows you to exclude an IP address from Malwarebytes Website Protection. You should not use wildcard characters in the IP address to be excluded, as exclusion of IP addresses which you are not familiar with can compromise your safety. You can also add an IP address exclusion when it is blocked by Malwarebytes Website Protection by clicking the link in the block notification message.

Thank you,

In the domain, I would not use a wildcard after the domain name.  The reason is this:

*.malwarebytes.* will whitelist:

• www.malwatrebytes.org,
  • forums.malwatrebytes.org,
  • www..malwatrebytes.com, etc. 

However, it will also whitelist www.malwarebytes.hostingsys.com, which is not a Malwarebytes site.

The first wildcard is automatically handled when adding a domain, so that *.malwatrebytes.org == malwatrebytes.org

IOW, wildcards are not needed for domains either, and can lead to potential problem just as wildcards in IP addresses can.