PC Start-up after entering password takes 10 minutes

minoll

Hi there,

I use Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta  since about two weeks. Almost at the same time I recognized a new behaviour of my laptop when I start it up. I run Windows 7 64 bits.

It runs until the user authentication smoozly. I authenticate via Fingerprint detection and afterwards it takes about 10 minutes !! until I get to my desktop. In between I can see some HDD activity,

but for the rest I do not know what happens during this time. It also doesnot matter if I make a cold start-up or a warm start-up. The only thing Ï'm sure about. I haven't installed any

Windows Updates or so, which do delay of course the start-up of a machine. I made no further SW installation in the last weeks.

Now my question: can it be that the  Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta  is doing some sort of tests of my HDD before the computer is completely started-up, in order to ensure that

all files are accessable and not blocked by processes using them ?

Please let me know - I do not do what else to do. Have done already an in depth-scan of ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and run ADWCleaner without further clue.

I would appreciate any hint.

Regards, -m

Hi, @minoll, and :welcome:

It is theoretically possible that it could be caused by Anti-Ransomware.  I don't believe that it is running any tests, though, because my machine boots in second, and takes seconds more to log in using my PIN, but I am running Windows 10.  But I could be wrong.

The fastest way to test this would be to uninstall Anti-Ransomware and then reboot and log back in and see if it still takes a long to log in.  Would you be willing to try that too see if it is the cause?

Also, do you have hard drive encryption enabled in Windows 7 (BitLocker)?

Hello minoll:

For a proper analysis, data needs to be captured soon after an issue is recognized.  Please create the following zipped archives for MBARW developer team analysis:

Create a .zip archive of the directory C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\
Create another .zip archive of the directory C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\

Please attach the above zipped archives to your next reply.  Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valuable feedback.