Tray icon gaffe

sman

when tray icon is in place, it is presumed protection is in place but it was a shocker, when at the end of the day, started to notice 'no notifications' for protections and no logs for the entire day.. on check, task manager showed no 'mbae.exe' (even though tray icon was in place).. A reboot restored functions but what caused the gaffe is not known?

PS : Yes Trusteer is in place and just 2 days back win 10 updated/upgraded to ver.1511 (november update) but seem unrelated to the problem..

Not sure - I've seen the exact opposite, where the tray icon is not there but the executable is there in task manager.  The symptoms were the same - no notifications from MBAE, trying to run it again from the start menu results in nothing, and trying to close it out of task manager doesn't work. 

In my case, it was caused by a restart of the explorer.exe process, which occurred when I installed Google Drive desktop client.  After that, I could easily reproduce the same behavior by simply using task manager to restart explorer.exe.

It might have been something similar on your end as well, just manifesting completely opposite of the way it manifested on mine.

As long as it is working now, all should be well.  Just post back if it happens again.

Yup.  I agree.  But the fact that the tray icon was there when task manager did not show mbae.exe is more disturbing - that icon should not be there if it is not actually running.

I don't believe that this has anything to do with Trusteer - For now, let's see if you can reproduce the issue, and if it happens again (and thus is no longer a 1-off situation) then I think some logs are going to be require for the developers to look at.

Just to be sure, you're running build 1195 because of the Trusteer misinteraction events, right?

OK.  I don't want to seem like I am just blowing you off, but that really sounds extremely weird, and I want at least another instance of it happening, and then you not rebooting, so we can attempt to gather files and other necessary information. 

If it happens again, please come right back here and post, and I will get an email notification that you've replied and I'll try to come back here as quickly as possible.

However, don't be surprised if one or more of the staffers / developers here chime in and go ahead and ask you for those files and logs in the next couple of days anyway.

Cheers!

So sorry about my completely incomprehensible gibberish in my last reply - apparently after troubleshooting for 3 hours past my bedtime I should not use a mobile device to post responses lol!

And thanks for still being able to decipher it as well.  Knowing that mbaeservice was running rules out that the icon could have been there because of service as opposed to the executable, because the icon is generated by the executable not the service.

So, back to square one - let's play the waiting game and see if it happens again, and then we'll start looking at logs and such.

sorry, AFAIK even if mbae64.exe & mbae-svc.exe are not running, tray icon will still .be in place if mbae.exe is running, and in short time trigger an alert/pop up that 'AE is not started'.. In case all three exe's are running, tray icon could still go for a walk.. In the present case (the weirdest of all) except mbae.exe other main exe's are running and an in-active tray icon in place... a cause of serious concern as notifications are hit and for a look into..

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say.  It was something that occurred to me after another poster responded in another thread about the service being stopped, and it was too late for my mental faculties to catch on to the fact that the service will not dictate whether the icon is present or not.