A rant about Yahoo

grainger

Why does Yahoo require me to register an alternate eMail address? :D

I have a Yahoo eMail address but I keep getting messages telling me that I will be unable to log in and use my account unless I attatch a second eMail address to it.

What is the logic behind this? :)

I don't exactly know, but, my guess is that just in case you lose your password or something.

I never questioned it, but now that you bring it up, it is a little weird. :/

so you CAN'T sign up without giving them another email then, that's what you're saying?

It is something they have instigated recently.

I don't know if it is a requirement of signing up or not because I have had my account since 2006 but I assume it would now be a requirement to sign up.

They want an address for password reset purposes.

I am calling there bluff and NOT registering one.

I have a premium Yahoo account I pay for it I also have a Pro Flickr account that I pay for.

If they lock me out of services I pay for then I will expect a refund. :D

@ grainger

Well I have had an account since 2000 or 2001, and as far as I can remember, they asked for an alternate email then (but didn't require it if I remember correctly).

Hmm Exile might be right, could be a phishing thing. At any rate, I don't think that they should be REQUIRING you to have an alt email. Are you having this problem yourself or is someone else having this problem? Just a little confused coz you said you already had an account but are also signing up.

<B>"Just a little confused coz you said you already had an account but are also signing up. "</B>

I have had my account since 2006

I don't see where I said I was signing up?

It isn't realy a problem for me it just sounds kind of silly.

If and when they do lock me out I will give them my work eMail address.

I realize I could always get another address to satisfy them but I look at it this way.

I know several people including my sister who don't have internet service they only use public computers.

If every eMail service required an alternate eMail address then those people would never be able to get an eMail address.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood/misread what you said earlier. I re-read it and it makes sense now, sorry about that.

You're very right. It's silly to require that! That would mean people would have to have a hotmail and a yahoo address, for example, in order to sign up for yahoo. Or rather, have a hotmail or a gmail first. :/

<B>"Just a little confused coz you said you already had an account but are also signing up. "</B>

I have had my account since 2006

I don't see where I said I was signing up?

It isn't realy a problem for me it just sounds kind of silly.

If and when they do lock me out I will give them my work eMail address.

I realize I could always get another address to satisfy them but I look at it this way.

I know several people including my sister who don't have internet service they only use public computers.

If every eMail service required an alternate eMail address then those people would never be able to get an eMail address.

I see homeless people using the computers in my Library to keep in touch with family.

They wouldn't be able to get eMail addresses if every company had the same policy as Yahoo.

I like gmail because they don't ask for your address or telephone number or any other stuff that isn't necessary.

Yahoo seems to want your whole life story :D

That's true :)

Yeah. I hate how they want everything.

yahoo wants your phone number???!! and address??? It only asked for my zip.

I see homeless people using the computers in my Library to keep in touch with family.

They wouldn't be able to get eMail addresses if every company had the same policy as Yahoo.

I like gmail because they don't ask for your address or telephone number or any other stuff that isn't necessary.

Yahoo seems to want your whole life story :D

Oh, I see.

I'm glad that they aren't asking for your address.

I stand corrected they don't ask for my address.

This is a screen capture of the info they want.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/eba...stuff/yahoo.jpg

I guess I will relent and give them my gmail address.

Well that explains it then :D They do need that information then in that case.

It just occured to me that the reason they wanted my address and telephone number etc. was because I was using a credit card to pay for services.

Yeah. I'm just not comfortable having my real name on there, not to mention ANYTIME you write/post ANYTHING, your name is displayed with it. Not cool with me.

ech, yeah. I am THROUGH with customer loyalty cards. I wish I hadn't gotten the ones that I did. Big privacy violation if you ask me... I hope they don't sell/share the information at least.

On facebook I use my real name but I know lot's of people who don't.

Big business wants to keep track of you that is why airmiles and points cards and customer loyalty cards exist.

When you go to a site that gives you a drop down menu giving you a list of years of birth and it goes back to 1900 or something I am always tempted to use the contact button and tell them I was born in 1899 why am I being descriminated against :D

haha you should :)

When you go to a site that gives you a drop down menu giving you a list of years of birth and it goes back to 1900 or something I am always tempted to use the contact button and tell them I was born in 1899 why am I being descriminated against :D

Hi,

One very legitimate reason for an alternate e-mail address is in case you forget your password. The automated account verification needs to send a new temporary password to somewhere you CAN access. I got locked out of AOL this way back in the day because I had failed to update my alternate and it went into limbo. Then I had to call and talk to a real human. Normally, you can get a new temp password at the alternate address in just moments 24/7. They should also follow up at both addresses and tell you that they have changed the password, and offer a link or phone number in case you are NOT the one who requested the change/reset. I don't use a password manager, and with all the accounts we end with these days, if I'm not fairly active somewhere, I do forget. It's tough tryin' to keep it all in my noggin. :D