Not able to install malwarebytes, please help?

I am not able to properly install malwarebytes 2.2.1. My computer doesn't seem to be infected, I went through the whole Farbar Recovery process providing the necessary logs on here and the professional said my PC was clean. I keep receiving the same message at the end. Has anyone else faced this problem, or can at least figure out how to fix this so I am able to install the software. This is the error message I am receiving.

error.docx

Hi:

From the logs posted in your other topic HERE, it appears that you were/are running 2 resident antivirus applications (Avast and Webroot):

==================== Security Center ========================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, it will be removed.)

AV: Webroot SecureAnywhere (Enabled - Up to date) {4646A877-74EB-CD3B-8FDB-210DB94FA61A}
AV: Windows Defender (Disabled - Up to date) {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
AV: avast! Antivirus (Enabled - Up to date) {17AD7D40-BA12-9C46-7131-94903A54AD8B}
AS: Webroot SecureAnywhere (Enabled - Up to date) {FD274993-52D1-C2B5-B56B-1A7FC2C8ECA7}
AS: Windows Defender (Disabled - Up to date) {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
AS: avast! Antivirus (Enabled - Up to date) {ACCC9CA4-9C28-93C8-4B81-AFE241D3E736}

That's not a good idea from a security standpoint (doing so actually reduces one's security, rather than bolstering it).
And it could be contributing to the issue with installing MBAM.

So, for starters, we would suggest a complete, clean uninstall of EITHER Avast OR Webroot, using the vendor's removal tool, followed by a reboot.

Then, you might want to try again with a proper clean reinstall of MBAM, as explained here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

Let us know if that resolves your issue.

Thanks

Edited by daledoc1
Added link to other forum topic

I see, it's a complete uninstalling necessary or can I can simply disable the two antivirus. Also, I went to the FAQS on malwarebytes, and it had a link to a Hotfix installer, talking about it may be necessary to download when installing  malwarebytes 2.1.8 or greater, but the error it showed on the sight was different. I just want to be sure before I start uninstalling any software.

2 hours ago, RoboJaws27 said:

I see, it's a complete uninstalling necessary or can I can simply disable the two antivirus

No, merely disabling the AV still leaves drivers and leftovers behind (and often running in the background).

It would be better to CLEANLY UNINSTALL EITHER Webroot OR Avast, but not both.  You need to have ONE robust AV installed, up-to-date and properly configured.  You just do not need more than one (and having more than one can impact system performance and security).

The software vendors typically provide a "removal tool" of some sort, which will help to fully remove remnants and leftovers.

So, I suggest that you decide which one of the 2 (either Avast or Webroot) you want to keep and then uninstall the other one.

2 hours ago, RoboJaws27 said:

Also, I went to the FAQS on malwarebytes, and it had a link to a Hotfix installer, talking about it may be necessary to download when installing  malwarebytes 2.1.8 or greater, but the error it showed on the sight was different. I just want to be sure before I start uninstalling any software.

No, you do not need any sort of hotfix installer.;)

All you need to do is to carefully follow ALL of the steps in this pinned topic: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.:)
It may help to print out and read the steps before you begin -- it's not hard, but it's broken down into small, detailed steps.
The whole process should take no more than 5-10 minutes.
Please be sure to reboot (restart) the computer when prompted by the removal tool.  It would not hurt to reboot again AFTER reinstalling MBAM.

Please post back and let us know how things go.

Thanks,

Edited by daledoc1
grammar

10 hours ago, RoboJaws27 said:

Thank you so much. I managed to uninstall webroot and successfully downloaded malarebytes!

That's great.

Just to be clear, though: you mention that you *downloaded* MBAM.  Were you able to *install* MBAM and get it up and running????

10 hours ago, RoboJaws27 said:

However, after restarting twice a webroot message popped up saying if it wanted to make any changes to my computer, I obviously clicked no but should I be concerned about that?

I'm not sure I understand.  If you uninstalled Webroot, as you mentioned, then it's not clear why you would still be getting popups or messages from it?

Perhaps you refer to the Windows User Account Control (UAC) message generated by Windows when you open the MBAM program dashboard from your desktop shortcut icon???

If so, that is a normal and expected security feature built in to Windows. 
(I think you are on Windows 8.1? If so, this tutorial explains the UAC in Windows 8/8.1: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5509-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-8-a.html)

If not, then we will need to know a bit more about the popup message you report, in order to better assist you.

Could you please post a screenshot and/or the EXACT wording of the popup message you see?

We will go from there....

Thank you,

5 minutes ago, RoboJaws27 said:

Yes, sorry. I was able to completely install Malwarebytes. Here is the popup from Webroot.

Webroot popup.docx

Thank you for the clarification.

As I suspected, the popup message is from Windows UAC.
However, it is indeed surprising that message relates to WSA, as you stated in your earlier reply that you had completely uninstalled WSA.:unsure:
WSA should not be asking for permission to run if it has been uninstalled.

I surmise that there may, in fact, be WSA leftovers on the system, or that it perhaps was only disabled, and not fully uninstalled.

You might wish to try the instructions here to fully uninstall it: Webroot Installation Support
There is additional information here: Uninstalling older Webroot Software
And, occasionally, one must boot into Windows Safe Mode to re-run the software removal tools, in order to get a clean, complete removal.

Please post back and let us know if your issue is resolved.  If it is not, then deeper diagnostic work may be needed.

Thank you,

Alright, I have to questions before going on with the process. First one is, when trying to create a system restore point it asked for a description, did it mean a date. Also, do I need to download both Webroot utility CleanWDF.exe and Webroot utility WRUpgradeTool.exe? Or just one of the two?

45 minutes ago, RoboJaws27 said:

Alright, I have to questions before going on with the process. First one is, when trying to create a system restore point it asked for a description, did it mean a date.

Windows will automatically assign the date and time to the Restore Point.
For a description, you might want to use something like, "Before uninstalling WSA" (without the quote marks).

45 minutes ago, RoboJaws27 said:

Also, do I need to download both Webroot utility CleanWDF.exe and Webroot utility WRUpgradeTool.exe? Or just one of the two?

I have not personally used Webroot software in a very long time.
So I am not sure.
But, as I understand the information presented in the links I provided, the choice of the removal tool depends on the VERSION of Webroot software you have.
The "WRUpgradetool.exe" is for "current", supported versions of Webroot software, while the "CleanWDF.exe" tool is for older, legacy versions.

On the one hand, if your MBAM installation problem has been resolved, I'm not sure I want to complicate matters by trying to guide you through removal of another, 3rd-party application (especially since this is the MBAM forum, not the Webroot forum).
But, if your system has remnants of multiple anti-virus programs, those leftovers could potentially get you into trouble down the line. So it might be best to remove them.
It's advisable to have ONLY one anti-virus program installed on the system at any time.

There are 2 ways to proceed:

1. Perhaps if you would like more expert help from folks familiar with Webroot software, you might want to open a support ticket with Webroot support HERE, or perhaps start a post in their forum HERE; OR...
  2. Otherwise, before we go any further here, we probably ought to collect a wee bit of fresh system information, in order to better assist you.  To do that, please follow the steps in this pinned topic: Diagnostic Logs
    1. Then, please post back with the requested 3 logs (FRST.txt, Addition.txt and Checkresults.txt) ATTACHED to your next reply here in this thread.

Thank you.

Edited by daledoc1
snip extra verbiage from quoted reply

• Root Admin

Hello @RoboJaws27

@daledoc1 asked me to take a look at your logs. Here is my first pass and findings along with some recommended changes, updates, and fixes.

Please go through each of the steps and let me know if you have any questions.

STEP 1
Please go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the following software

McAfee Security Scan Plus
Shared C Run-time for x64

STEP 2
If you did not actively and on purpose install the Google Toolbar or the Yahoo software then I'd recommend you uninstall them.

STEP 3
Your DNS server is set to the following IP:

Neither of which are replying to me with valid information. I would highly suggest you change your DNS server to the Google Public DNS

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Google Public DNS IP addresses

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

2001:4860:4860::8888
    2001:4860:4860::8844

STEP 4
You're having a WMI (Windows Management Interface) error in the logs.
The following may correct that.

Rebuild the list of available counters

Membership in the local Administrators group is required to complete this procedure.

To rebuild the list of counters in the registry:

Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories.
    Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    At the command prompt, type lodctr /r, and then press ENTER.

That informamtion came from this link. Though it's listed for Windows Server 2008 R2 it typically applies to other OS as well.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd363642%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

If needed you may need to run it from Safe Mode.
Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and try to enter the lodctr /r command from there if you get errors in Normal Windows

STEP 5
You're also having a Windows Update issue. Please run the fix from this site and see if that can correct it for you.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336

STEP 6
You have the following from Webroot in Chrome. Not sure you use or ever used it but if you did have any passwords in it then they cannot work without WebRoot.

CHR Extension: (Webroot Password Manager) - C:\Users\Lik\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\okfhiodnpcnnnpgbjbhfebjnbagmfhab [2014-04-11]

To remove an extension from Google Chrome:

On your browser, click menu .
    Select More tools > Extensions.
    On the extension you want to remove, click Remove from Chrome .
    A notice to remove the extension will appear. Click Remove.

STEP 7
After you've completed the 6 steps above please run the following

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup