Windows Update hangs when seeking updates plus another question

I am running Windows 8.1 on a 64 bit computer which plenty of disk space. I have just learn that my Windows update is not working and it seems has not done so for some time. I have tried googling the problem and it looks like I may have made things worse! 

I have googled various Microsoft error codes and tried all sorts of suggestions to no avail. The problem is when I manually try to get it to update (as it will not do so automatically) it just continues to seek updates and not find any The error code is 8024A000

My computer is running extremely slow and most actions take a long time. I am running the paid versions of Malwarebytes and Kaspersky. The computer is not on wifi.

I also have a question about internet speed which is separate to this - my download speed is very high when using Internet Explorer but extremely slow in Firefox. What can I check in Firefox?

thank you

Hi, @bluegiraffe,

TBH, it sounds like there is an issue with connectivity on your machine.  I've seen many, many different things to try for this particular issue in the past, and I'v never had the same solution work twice in the few times I've experienced it myself.

First off - have you fully scanned your machine using both MBAM and Kaspersky?  Also, have you used the Windows utility Disk Cleanup to clean out your temp folders and such?

I want to start basic, but at the same time, I don't want to start posting links that you may already have looked at to fix the error, so I'm going with things that you've not actually mentioned doing.

Finally, it could also be that the Firefox download issue, in fact, also may be related to this other issue, although you mention IE not having an issue.

Let's start one thing at a time - scans (and the scan results) and the disk cleanup.

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I have fully scanned the computer with Malwarebytes but not with Kaspersky for some time. It seems I have not had any Microsoft updates installed at all and any that did download I am unable to install them.

I have not used the Windows Disk Clean Up but have used CCleaner (free version) and I have also used Auslogics Disk Defrag (paid version) but not for a few weeks.

I don't use Firefox much due to the internet speed issues so have been using IE11 - however whilst the speed is fine I keep getting error messages on it saying things about long scripts stopping the web pages and I have to recover the page or give up. This is on various websites including this one.

The computer is generally really slow and I'm not sure what is causing that. The slowness is for most things including just clicking on something i.e an icon for Explorer or to bring up the Shut Down button seems to take a very long time.

Please could you note that after today I will not be back with any replies till 24th onwards as I am away.

thank you

In addition to what John asked, can you follow the instructions below please :)

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)

Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;

• On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator

• On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);

• On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);

• Enter the command below and press on Enter;

sfc /scannow

Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";

• Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

• A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;

Alright so SFC returned a clean CBS.log. Let's see if DISM have anything to report.

EndqYRa.pngDISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption

Follow the instructions below to run a DISM operation on your system.

• On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);

• On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);

• Enter the command below and press on Enter;

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Let the scan run until the end (100%). Depending on your system, it can take some time;

• Copy the C:\Windows\Logs\DISM folder and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file on your Desktop, then right-click on it, go to Send to... and select Compressed .zip archive;

• Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;

Ok after doing the above scan I was initially unable to find the files as the computer completely crashed and all I could do was switch off at the base (something I have had to do a few times lately now I think of it....)

Anyway - hopefully the following is what you need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6yqvzo1ab7wnac/DISM.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtxp9om11xm4nrg/CBS.zip?dl=0

many thanks

Alright so DISM didn't report anything wrong. That error code refers to a connection issue between your computer and the Windows Update servers.

Try to install your Windows Updates again. Once it fails (and the error code appears), upload the two files below for me on Dropbox, so I can see what happens.

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log
C:­\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

• Root Admin

Please go ahead and follow the advice from Aura but also I'd like to get some other information as well.

What is the MFG, Make, Model of your computer ? Did you add in any specific special cards or other accessories to the system ?

If you download and run Speccy and then save the report you can post here that could help you and us to better help you with drivers or issues.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

Run the program with elevated administrator rights. Then let it run for a moment to gather information. Then click on File, Save Snapshot.. choose a folder location and remember where you saved it.

Then click on File, Save as Text File.. choose a folder and remember the location and remember where you saved it.

Then zip or rar archive both files and upload them here.

Next,

Please read the following and post back the 3 requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you

Hi Aura and AdvancedSetUp, Sorry for the wait but I just got back today.

To Aura - I have tried again to install Windows Updates and again had the same problem with it just searching for updates. So I left it and went to AdvancedSetUp's reply to work thru that. Having worked my way through the tasks I went back to yours and strangely there are now some updates! I am now trying to install those that are deemed Important - but it does not appear to be downloading them as the progress bar has not changed in 30 mins or so.

To AdvancedSetUp - thank you for your reply. I have attached the logs except one which is the speccy snapshot. What sort of file extension should it have? It is saving it as an Explorer file?

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Computer.txt

The error code you were getting usually indicates an interruption of the connection between your computer and the Windows Update service. So it wouldn't be unusual for it to start working again after waiting a bit.

Please let Windows Update download and install the updates it founds. If they fail, upload the two files I asked for above here and I'll be able to see what happened.

• Root Admin

You're having a WMI (Windows Management Interface) error in the logs.
The following may correct that.

Rebuild the list of available counters

Membership in the local Administrators group is required to complete this procedure.

To rebuild the list of counters in the registry:

Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories.
    Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    At the command prompt, type lodctr /r, and then press ENTER.

That informamtion came from this link. Though it's listed for Windows Server 2008 R2 it typically applies to other OS as well.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd363642%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

If needed you may need to run it from Safe Mode.
Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and try to enter the lodctr /r command from there if you get errors in Normal Windows

Next,

You're also having a Windows Update issue. Please run the fix from this site and see if that can correct it for you.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336

Things are looking better! I have now been able to check for updates and a large amount have downloaded and installed. I have carried out all of the above which seemed to have found and corrected some things. There is only one thing that was not corrected and it says -ervice registration is missing or corrupt - not fixed.

Since all this I have again re tried running the windows update and it now appears to be working so thank you for this.

As I am running Kaspersky as well could it be this that is stopping things working? I have noticed my computer is very slow and sometimes it takes a long time to install the Kaspersky daily updates.

I've used Kaspersky Internet Security for 7 years and I've never had a single issue with it (not even an update one like you just described). 

Like Ron asked, is the "Service registration is missing or corrupt - not fixed" message coming from the Windows Update troubleshooter?

Sorry for the delay. Aura, yes the message you refer to came up with the Windows Update troubleshooter. Everything seems to be working with updates although when I click on something it seems to take forever to action or open etc.... It may just be my computer is not build for speed? I don't use it for gaming or anything. The only things running in the background that I am aware of are Kaspersky, Malwarebytes and the Anti Exploit.

You mean Windows Updates? Sometimes it can take a few seconds to load the Windows Updates panel (happens to me in my VMs), and searching for updates can be quite lenghty sometimes. Hence why I usually leave it be and do other things while waiting.