Loss of Internet Connection when installed alongside Sophos Home

I've had an issue recently related to installing Sophos Home alongside Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium with scanning enabled. This combination of software appears to cause issues related to networking where all web browsers cease to function and crash repeatedly. I can replicate this across three machines and it is also noted in Sophos' forums. Sophos' idea of a solution is to disable Malicious Website Protection in MBAM or disable Web Filtering in Sophos Home. Forum Thread

Is there anyway to get these two applications to function together without disabling one of them?

Hello mruszczyk and :welcome:

"Is there anyway to get these two applications to function together without disabling one of them?"

Let's start here with some information about the system in question and let staffers/experts analyze the data.

1. Please read the topic Diagnostic Logs and then individually ATTACH the 3 requested logs in your next reply to this thread only.
  2. The 3 files, from Step 1, to be individually ATTACHED from your desktop are CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Zip or Copy and Paste them into a reply. Please do not alter, any FRST categories as the configuration is well suited for this forum.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

I have not reviewed your logs, but I will point someone from staff to take a look at them, in the meantime have you tried to exclude each program to see if they can work together?

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 / 8 & 10:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it as well

According to this post from that same forum thread, the forum moderator and Staff are both aware of the issue,  Moreover, the forum moderator mentions that both products are using the same technology for the web monitoring part of their app:

I have them both running but you do need to disable at least Malicious Website Protection in Malwarebytes or possible disable Web Protection in Sophos.  They both use the same technology for intercepting web traffic.

I'll let the developers verify this on the part of MBAM, but until someone replies with a true fix, you'll probably need to disable one or the other.

Edited by John L. Galt

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

I'm sorry but no, not at this time. Both products are using the same entry to read it and conflict with each other. In the 3.x version of MBAM we will probably be using another method and this conflict should go away but 3.x is not due for a while still.

Thank you