PM BUG - Left conversation

this is a Bug Report note mentioning ...

1.  The PM software does not properly indicate that a person has left a conversation.  The previous version provided that in BOLD RED.

2.  The old software would tell you you can't reply to a PM if the person left the conversation.  This version puts up no red flags and sends the PM as if nothing is wrong.

3 hours ago, Tarun said:

That's not a bug. It's just a matter of how the skin/theme has changed.

It may be me a skin/theme thing like you said.... but its a bug

If you and I have a PM going between us, and you leave the conversation, if I don't notice that your name is greyed out (only slightly) I can keep replying to the PM all I want, hoping that your getting the messages and waiting for a reply.

Sorry that's a bug, I should be notified you left the conversation, or at least error out telling me you won't get the message.

@Tarun and @AdvancedSetup and @celee  I left the forum 4 hrs ago. Back just now I find test PM from Ron, & celee with NO Red PM numbers as in the screenshot above? I do however get a red number in the notification area saying celee and Ron posted a message.   member @fivealive  is getting the same as me.  I advised him to post his issue. 

notification.jpg

Now try sending a PM to that conversation....The old boards warned you that the person had left.

Oh, and your signature image has spaces in it - is that because of the default line spacing with paragraphs (when hitting the enter key / inserting a CR/LF?  If so, use SHIFT + ENTER to keep them closer together....

Edited by John L. Galt

Interesting. Yeah, you shouldn't be able to reply. Or it should make a new PM.

Signature is a bug with the editor. I've got a bug issue open in their tracker. They went to fix it once. But it's still here. Has been for a while. :\

OK, so Firefox is correct in that you can still send PMs and they appear to be delivered even though the other person has left the conversation.  Now, let's if he actually got another PM or not. I'm betting he did....

re: Sig - Just checking - the way it looks it seems as if you have multiple lines posting parts of the image.  Yeah, this editor, though, is stupid.  IPS should just bit the bullet and re-integrate the old BBCode editor as an alternative editor, instead of this WYSIWYG bs.

I get 2 notifications when ever i get a PM. I get a notification in the notification tray and one on the messages area, seems kind of redundant.

the notification says I have a PM from so & so? then I go look at the PM?  PLUS in when the PM is sent, I get a black box at the bottom of the page, any page, any website.

just an FYI

notification.jpg

Neither of that is germaine to Firefox's bug report.  it is not notifications he's talking about, but existing conversations where someone has left the conversation.  Old boards it clearly delineated that the person had left the conversation (delete the PM) now it is very obscure, as shown in Tarun's screenshot.

Furthermore, the old boards would not let you send another PM to the person if they left the conversation.  Currently, it seems to not stop you from doing so.

I have to say if I left a pm to someone who left the forum? It would stay in their inbox in the old IPS3 - am I correct? 

EDIT:  I never saw Tarun's pic like that, 1 of 2 ways , Not read yet, or  read 5 mins ago - just for an example. and I"ve been on here appx: 8 years? 

Edited by yardbird

No, Yardbird.  The PMs are handled as conversations, and if a person deleted the PM that they received, then the old board made it very noticeable that they had done so (aka leaving the conversation) and would not let that sender send another PM in that same conversationHowever, the current iteration of this software called a forum has muted the indicator to a very dull gray, and also does not prevent you from sending the message even if the (an)other party has left the conversation.

This does not have to do with leaving the forums, either (well, not directly, but if a user has been banned / has their account removed, then you should not be able to send them a PM in the first place, even if you have before, when they were still here).

If you go into your PM folder, then you see PMs between you and other people, and it shows at least you and someone else unless the other person has left the conversation.

Edited by John L. Galt

ok John, "  but if a user has been banned / has their account removed, then you should not be able to send them a PM in the first place, even if you have before, when they were still here."  I remember this part.   In Tarun's pic above. I've never seen "Left Conservation"  maybe my memory is going south.  was just trying to help. sorry if I misunderstood.

2 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

Yeah, it wasn't about the notifications, it was about the way the conversations are handled in the Private Messenger of the forum.

I just explained in more detail what Firefox wrote in his original posts.

no problem, sometimes I"ll misread a topic, I"ll throw my answer on the thread, if its right, ok.. if its wrong & I missed it,     I thank you for the correction.....

21 hours ago, Tarun said:

Seems quite noticeable to me? I see your name faded in comparison to mine.

Yes it is quite noticeable on a PM with only one or two replies cause you can still see the top part, but if you are deep inside a thread and only see the bottom you don't see it unless you scroll to the top to check, plus replying would have alerted you right off the bat when you would get an notification that I left the PM.

21 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

OK, so Firefox is correct in that you can still send PMs and they appear to be delivered even though the other person has left the conversation.  Now, let's if he actually got another PM or not. I'm betting he did....

No I did not get another PM if he replied to that one I left.

20 hours ago, yardbird said:

no problem, sometimes I"ll misread a topic, I"ll throw my answer on the thread, if its right, ok.. if its wrong & I missed it,     I thank you for the correction.....

@yardbird I am not picking on you, so don't take this wrong... This is why its important to read the topic, take a minute to understand what's being asked or described and then reply if needed, saves time and confusion for all that is following the topic.