Display Driver Has Stopped Working and Has Recovered

My computer keeps crashing. Every startup asks if I want to start windows up normally and I hit the enter key. Everything runs fine when the computer starts up but very shortly after the screen will go black and sometimes the screen will come back on with a message saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 311.06 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Other times the screen will go black and not come back on until I power down the computer and turn it back on. I have read that this could be an issue with overheating, my psu, gpu, and even my cpu but none of them really say how to fix it or even how to figure out what is causing the issue. I cant even use my computer long enough to download anything to it. Is there any solution of possible cause to this? I am using an nvidia graphics card but I don't know very much else. I am not a very computer or tech savvy person so if you do have any suggestions or fixes please make them as thorough and user-friendly as possible.

First, a bit of discussion.   In general, the "not responding and has recovered" is usually a STOP 0x117 error (I also think it can be from a STOP 0x141 error).
In essence, these are BSOD errors without the BSOD's.  If there was a BSOD, it would be because the driver hasn't recovered, and it would be a STOP 0x116 error then.
The black screen error is actually separate from this, and it implies another problem with the video (or other) card or it's driver.

What is the make and model of your system?
If it's a Desktop, we can make suggestions on how to open it up and check for overheating manually (CAREFUL - this can get you 2nd or 3rd degree burns!)
If it's a Laptop, it'll be more difficult to check it for overheating.
Can you check in the BIOS/UEFI to see if there are temperature readings there?

The most common reason for the turn on and then shutting down problem is overheating.
If you're able, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Normally desktop temps shouldn't exceed:

CPU - 60ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

Try to see what the temps are just before it freezes/turns black/shuts down.
With that info, we can see if it's likely to be overheating and, if so, what can be done about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem similar to this but my computer does not turn off. Instead, I lose a few of the frames I had open when it happened. So it doesn't always fully recover the data or sheets that were working or existed at the time of this message. It can happen when I am using word or if I am using Firefox and the internet. My computer does not turn off. The message I get is quite confusing since it references Windows 8(R) and I am using Windows 10

I have an HP 15t-k200 laptop. The error message says

Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display Driver IntelHD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I am using Windows 10 64 bit. Not Windows 8.

I have gone to HP to make sure there are no more current or improved drivers. It says to use Windows 10's driver which is what I believe I am using

I went to Device Manager and it shows the Display Adapters is Intel HD Graphics 4000 which says it is working properly.  The driver

Provider:  Intel Corp  Driver Date: 8/4/2015  Driver Version 10.18.15.4248

MaureenT - Please start your own topic for this issue so that your problems can get the individual attention that they deserve.

In that topic, please provide this information (even if you're not seeing BSOD's, as the error that you see is a type of BSOD error): 

Edited by usasma