Alex_computer

Unneeded Startup Items

No problem ;) .

Have you checked in the sound settings for the "ding" to make sure it plays there (it has an option when you click on a system sound to play it to see what it will sound like)? It could simply be that the path is messed up somehow or something happened to the .wav file that's supposed to be there.

exile, you've been a most patient help, i don't know what to say anymore. "Thank you" typed out seems inadequate somehow to me.

The sounds themselves all bleep with their respective short "tunes" when tested in Sound/sounds

I'm beginning to wonder whether I've mistakenly removed a registry key(s) / value(s) which may have accounted for this? I am prone to an occasional fiddle in there and I suspect it's one of those occasions when I've been in there recently on a sort of read about one, think you can do one, you really think it applies one, venture in there once again and bugger it up again type of learning expedition.

Know what I mean type-of-thing? :)

Gonna sit on my hands for a while - not gonna venture in there for at least five minutes! :)

You're very welcome :) .

Yes, messing around in the registry is how I learned about it :) . After a certain number of reformats (don't recall exactly how many, but there were a lot :) ) I started to backup any key I was going to alter by exporting it from the registry first. A tool such as ERUNT is handy for such situations, as is System Restore :) .

The sound problem is now solved courtesy of one reinstall, one long dose of help from that most patient of men, exile360; one dose of serious reflection on the dangers of messing in the registry and one use of a good disk imaging program. It won't occur again :) (this year).

Glad to hear it, and if I did indeed help, you're very welcome :) .

As for tweaking around in the registry, I've found this page to be quite informative in the past. It doesn't show everything you can do, but it sure shows a heck of a lot :) .

Enjoy :)

Glad to hear it, and if I did indeed help, you're very welcome :) .

As for tweaking around in the registry, I've found this page to be quite informative in the past. It doesn't show everything you can do, but it sure shows a heck of a lot :( .

Enjoy :)

Downloaded and bookmarked that; a useful and informative starting point for me. Thanks!