BSOD When Running Malwarebytes

Hey guys, fairly new user with a brand new desktop build - running Windows 10 64 bit.  About three weeks ago, I was getting the BSOD with a message of BAD_POOL_HEADER and I refreshed my computer and gradually reloaded all my prior applications.  For the past week and a half, everything has been running fine without the BSOD.  This morning I realized that I never re-installed Malwarebytes.  With an hour of re-installing it, I got 3 BSOD's - I could be wrong, but I have a feeling these events are related.  I un-installed it and haven't gotten a BSOD since.  The BSOD seems to occur when I am opening a new website.  I only use Chrome  (Version 49.0.2623.112 m).  Is there anything I can do to address this issue?  Thanks!

If using BitDefender, this is very likely a problem with a filter driver.
Most often the BSOD will be a STOP 0x19 (BAD_POOL_HEADER) and will blame mwac.sys

The actual culprit (IMO) is the driver bdfwfpf.sys (if BitDefender is still installed or if remnants remain).
It's important that it get updated (or removed if you've uninstalled BitDefender). 

Check for it in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Firewall\bdfwfpf.sys
and see what version it is (AFAIK, the version 7.00.16 is the problem one).

Here's the steps recommended by Maurice Naggar (staff here)
Just FYI - other suggestions have been to revert to BitDefender 2015, or to stop MalwareBytes from loading with Windows.
Other suggestions relate to different drivers, so you'll have to search the forums for those suggestions. :

Please follow the instructions below to help BitDefender and MalwareBytes play nicely together.  The following quote boxes are extracted from this topic (posts made by Maurice Naggar):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610374/crashes-with-bad-pool-header/#entry3976612

What I have found in most cases, is that the customer's pc has had some type of updrade of B D & for whatever reason, one of the BitDefender drivers for the B D firewall was not the most recent.
I have also tested the 2 software suites extensively on my Windows 10 without issues.

I would suggest doing the following to insure a real clean new install, for both suites.
Please try the following.

1. Fully uninstall Bitdefender 2016 Total Security via the Program and Features ( installed programs) in Control Panel.
You can press and hold the Windows-key + tap *R* key to get the RUN option.
then type in

appwiz.cpl

and tap Enter. Locate *Bitdefender* in the list.  Click the line to select it. Then select Uninstall.
Be sure it finishes the uninstall.

2. Then download and run the following Bitdefender removal tool: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2016_UninstallTool.exe

3. Then reboot the computer. Then follow the directions below to do a clean removal of MBAM but do not reinstall just yet.

link fo "MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x": https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146017

4. After you've removed MBAM using those directions then run the following temp file cleaner.

Please Run this tool to clear temporary files:
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune, saving it to your desktop.
"From-this-link-page":http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/atf_cleaner,1.html

It is used to cleanout temporary files & temp areas used by internet browsers.
Start "ATF-Cleaner.exe" to run the program.

Under *Main* choose: **Select All**

Click the **Empty Selected** button.

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser, do this also:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart the computer one more time.

Then reinstall Bitdefender 2016 Total Security, check for updates. Then reboot the computer one more time now.

At this point go ahead and reinstall MBAM again and update it and activate it. Then do a Threat Scan.

You can download the latest version from this link

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_current/

Save the setup first, to your disc. After that, do a right-click on the setup-exe file and select RUN as Administrator and reply YES to allow it to proceed.

Be sure to do one Update run in our program to get the latest database updates.  Then also Restart Windows so that it is in a new session after all this.

Let us know the results.  Thank you.

Additional suggestions:

Let me suggest one additional tweak:

I would highly recommend some trust setting adjustments for BitDefender and our program as well.
Generally speaking one needs to set BitDefender to trust the program components of the Malwarebytes.

In order for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Bitdefender  to work smoother, you should configure both applications. 

How to configure *Bitdefender*  to exclude Malwarebytes files -
Step 1. Open *Bitdefender*
Step 2. Click on "Modules"  near the bottom of the window so that you see a white screen
Step 3. You should see a Protection tab with  white background

Step 4. click on the "Trusted applications" line in black, on the left side
Step 5. You should see a new window BitDefender Trusted Applications

Step 6. Click "Add" button (blue color)
Use the navigation tree to get to the C drive and its sub-folders

Step 7. Click on the + sign on the line Windows C drive

Step 8. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' , select desired folder and click "OK"

You will need to select each EXE file - one by one

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Step 9. Make sure that the option "Both" is checked and select "Add"

Step 10. Click "OK"

How to add your Bitdefender  folder to Malwarebytes "Malware Exclusions" list -
Step 1. Open the Malwarebytes application
Step 2. Click on "Settings"
Step 3. Click "Malware Exclusions" in the left column
Step 4. Click on "Add Folder"
Step 5. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016'
Step 6. Click once on "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016" folder to highlight it
Step 7. Click on "Select Folder"

also do the same for the folder  C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Agent

Step 8. Close Malwarebytes
Step 9. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

Note: These folder locations are generally for a 64-bit Windows.   For 32-bit Windows, the Malwarebytes program folder will be under  C:\Program Files.
Final tip:

One further last tip.  "bad pool" type b.s.o.d.  aborts are due to driver issues.  Please be sure to make regular checks for updates for all installed apps.

Check on other update issues as well, by getting, installing and using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) on a regular basis.
See How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial174.html

On 4/11/2016 at 3:22 PM, nigglenorf52 said:

Is there anything I can do to address this issue?  Thanks!

Hi,

Let me know how you are doing now.  I would be happy to guide you and get this squared away.  I can assure you that both BitDefender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium can both co-exist.

FYI, I am running both on a Windows 10  64 bit.   Below is a snapshot showing both program running simultaneousl scans.  Something one would not normally do.  But a stress test of a sort.   A picture can sometimes be helpful.

Run2apps.png

Hey guys, thanks for the guidance.  I followed the uninstall / reinstall steps and immediately got a couple more BSODs afterwards when in Chrome.  I turned off the Malicious Website Protection and that seemed to prevent the occurrences, but I think MWB turns this back on somehow in the background - so now today I am getting BSODs again.

Any further help would be welcome as I rely on this PC for my livelihood and I cannot have it constantly shutting down.  I am tempted just to uninstall MWB and request a refund as it seems like everything runs smoothly when it is not operational on my PC (which presents me with a smaller risk than having it shutting down constantly).

I will be glad to help you along ?

Have you uninstalled and then re-installed BitDefender with the latest 2016 version ?   If not I would urge that.

Then do a clean new re-install of Malwarebytes.  And since the STOP code can well be due really to another outdated driver, It is very important to also check for Updates with your computer manufacturer, as well as use Secunia Personal Software Inspector.

See How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial174.html

<

I would highly recommend some trust setting adjustments for BitDefender and our program as well.
Generally speaking one needs to set BitDefender to trust the program components of our Malwarebytes  ( both the Anti-Malware & the
Anti-Exploit).

In order for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Bitdefender  to work together instead of conflicting, you must configure both applications.  

How to configure *Bitdefender*  to exclude Malwarebytes files -
Step 1. Open *Bitdefender*
Step 2. Click on "Modules"  near the bottom of the window so that you see a white screen
Step 3. You should see a Protection tab with  white background

Step 4. click on the "Trusted applications" line in black, on the left side
Step 5. You should see a new window BitDefender Trusted Applications

Step 6. Click "Add" button (blue color)
Use the navigation tree to get to the C drive and its sub-folders

Step 7. Click on the + sign on the line Windows C drive

Step 8. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' , select desired folder and click "OK"

You will need to select each EXE file - one by one

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Step 9. Make sure that the option "Both" is checked and select "Add"

Do also the same for C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Step 10. Click "OK"

How to add your Bitdefender  folder to Malwarebytes "Malware Exclusions" list -
Step 1. Open the Malwarebytes application
Step 2. Click on "Settings"
Step 3. Click "Malware Exclusions" in the left column
Step 4. Click on "Add Folder"
Step 5. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016'
Step 6. Click once on "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016" folder to highlight it
Step 7. Click on "Select Folder"

also do the same for the folder  C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Agent

Step 8. Close Malwarebytes
Step 9. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

<

I would still be interested to know whether this pc had had a prior version of BitDefender?

If it ever had another brand of antivirus ?

and as I noted, the last time you checked for hardware driver updates.    I recently had case that needed an update to a hardware network driver.

Hi Maurice,

Yes, I have already uninstalled / reinstalled both BitDefender and Malwarebytes and checked both for updates - and then I still got the BSODs after that.

I will run Secunia and add all the exclusions that you mentioned to both BD and MWB and then monitor.

Also, something is wrong with the MWB Forum authentication - I set my password earlier this week when I logged in and then I tried earlier today to log in with it but it said it was invalid.  I figured perhaps I mis-remembered it so I changed it to what I thought it was before and wrote it down on a scrap of paper.  Then just now when I tried to log in with this fresh password, the system would not accept it - so I followed the password reset process again and again set it to what I had set it to before.  I will report back if I am again unable to log in with this same password.

Thanks

I am sorry, I have no idea what "Login"  you mean.  To this forum ? ?

Back to your original issue, I think we better get some other information about your Hardware.

Please get and run the SPECCY tool from Piriform.  It is a free tool.  From "this-link":http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Save it to disc first.  Then run it.  Then send me a copy of that report  ( attach in reply).

also,

I do need to see additional diagnostic information from this system.
Please read the following and in your next reply ATTACH the 3 requested report files - Diagnostic Logs
(the three files should be CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt)

Please always attach reports, as we go along.

Thank You,

Go forward and get and run the FRST reports, please.

as to the forum, try using a different web browser.  I am sorry that you have the trouble getting into the forum.  I cant help you on that.

as to Speccy, the whole reason was to get the make & model of the motherboard  ( system board hardware on this pc).

• Root Admin

Please review the following topic which may help shed some light onto the issue. Not sure if your computer is one of these models but seems other security programs are also having a very similar BSOD issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/181851-bsod-mbam/#comment-1034349

7 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi Kaiwen:

Since you've declined to post the diagnostic logs requested by Maurice Naggar in your own thread <here> in the Malware Removal Help board, you might be interested in reading the November 2015 ESET support article Blue screen error (BSOD) on systems with ASUS/Gigabyte motherboards with chipsets H87/Z87 and H97/Z97:

"AI Suite (ASUS) and APP Center (Gigabyte) applications use drivers that create memory-mapped I/O to access hardware ports in a non-standard way. If the memory is subsequently read by another process utilizing a Windows API function (for example, during a memory scan by ESET), it may have unpredictable results on the system and the system may crash...ESET is working closely with ASUS and Gigabyte to make sure this issue get resolved as quickly as possible."

This support article specifically mentions the Z87 and Z97 chipsets but I wouldn't be surprised if drivers used by the applications that come with other Gigabyte/ASUS motherboards also have a similar issue.  You should also read Phoenix365's thread Norton Security Blue Screen from Background Tasks, where analysis of dump files showed that BSODs on a computer with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 "F4" BIOS were caused by a conflict with a Gigabyte utility called the EasyTuneEngine.  Uninstalling the EasyTuneEngine utility solved the BSODs.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v45.0.2 * NIS v.21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.2.1

Edited by AdvancedSetup