URL bug still present

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AdvancedSetup Its going to be a while. Did the uninstall from the Control Panel, then clean tool, then mbam said (my pc is to busy to handle the download)? So I grabbed a copy off filehippo. and it came down the pipe with "NowYouSeeIt,  Pluto TV, 360 Total Security, and more. - I"m trying to get things going, will be back.....:o

1 minute ago, AdvancedSetup said:

no, no, no @yardbird   I was only commenting, posting code examples about  the URL issues etc. Did not mean for you or anyone else to remove MBAM. But should be a clean good install now if you did. Very sorry for any confusion.

Ron

No prob. I just have to get all the crap out.......   it happens.... "Welcome to Windows" :P

Ron, you've hit upon the same issue I was posting about in this thread.  External URLs, when copied from, say, the browser addressbar, and then pasted here using CTRL V, tend to keep the URL tag open so that text that you paste is appended to the end of the URL.  I tested it in Edge, IE11, and Firefox, and it only happens in Firefox.  Admittedly, I'm using Firefox Nightly, but I'm guessing it happens in the latest regular release of Fx as well.

On 3/20/2016 at 0:05 AM, John L. Galt said:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/175-forums-update-faq-issues-feedback/                              

Just as I suspected - for whatever reason. after posting a URL, as I continue to type it adds my test to the URL link.  Anyone else seeing this?

That was an issue for the old forum software.  Disabling BBcode Mode would allow me to fix it.

However there was a work-around in the old forum software that still works.

When I paste a Link I would then hit "Enter key" which give me a new line.  I would then insert 2 space characters ( "  ") and then start typing the text.  I would then put the cursor back on the line above ( EoL ).  I would then hit the "DELete key" and the text string would then be on the above line and I would then have a usable Link with text after it.

In short the idea is...

After you paste a Link hit the Enter Key and add two spaces then start typing the text.  The go back to the above line ( EoL ) and delete the CR/LF ( Carriage Return/LineFeed ).  Then finish typing the text and the end of the line ( EoL ).

Yup - I came to the same conclusion in my testing yesterday.  I had no idea that this was an issue previously, though, as I was on a rather long hiatus from the boards due to working incessantly.  Glad that this workaround does, in fact, exist.

Edited by John L. Galt
Removed my arrogance - sorry David!

I never tested every browser I have installed, but the ones I tested worked fine without the issue, except Firefox Nightly.  I chalked it up to being on the Nightly build, but it does make me wonder a bit more now - could it be that the setting works fine on all engines except Gecko?

@David H. Lipman No Mea Cupla required - I figured it got buried in the back and forth posting between Yardbird and I and the browser testing I performed.  Plus, you also mentioned the history with the previous software version :)

In turn, please accept my apologies - I see now that my reply seemed standoffish and that was not my intention at all.  I'll edit it to reflect what I meant to say as opposed to what I ended up implying.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

no, no, no @yardbird   I was only commenting, posting code examples about  the URL issues etc. Did not mean for you or anyone else to remove MBAM. But should be a clean good install now if you did. Very sorry for any confusion.

Ron

url test  

OK, Ron, made it back alive

• celee locked this topic
  • Administrators

Hi everyone,

Locking this thread now since the extra text after pasting a URL and thus adding to the hyperlink has been resolved.

Please let me know if you come across this issue again and I'll reopen.

Thanks,
Cecile

Spammer's are getting in some on the 1st shot. I don't care about the count. The URL test post was closed. I went to spam forum last night - my submit reply button grayed out & posted 7-10 posts.  I was told it was fixed. But we used to copy &paste the user & post of the spammer with two links and were done.   just my 2 cents, theres bugs to work out.

@msherwood check your pm box & see if I just added you to last nights pm please.thx   ( now where did the red misherwood come from) ?????

msherwood

@AlexSmith @msherwood @David H. Lipman - Found out something interesting.  When copying and pasting an internal link the board automagically makes it a quote, with the thread title, and shows a bit of the post being referenced.  Hitting CTRL+Z, though, makes it revert to a regular URL link.

Normal post

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/180513-url-issue/?page=2#comment-1027413 Normal post, then hit CTRL-Z

However, if you do revert it to a normal link, then the append text to URL bug manifests itself as well.

So, this bug is still open.

18 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

@AlexSmith @msherwood @David H. Lipman - Found out something interesting.  When copying and pasting an internal link the board automagically makes it a quote, with the thread title, and shows a bit of the post being referenced.  Hitting CTRL+Z, though, makes it revert to a regular URL link.

Normal post

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/180513-url-issue/?page=2#comment-1027413 Normal post, then hit CTRL-Z

However, if you do revert it to a normal link, then the append text to URL bug manifests itself as well.

So, this bug is still open.

Confirmed here, as well.

• Administrators

When pasting a link, does the black banner "Display as a link instead" not appear for you?

screenshot-forums.malwarebytes.org 2016-03-28 10-25-15.png

After clicking "Display as a link" the URL reverts back to a link instead of embedded box and your cursor is automatically placed on the next line. If I move my cursor back up to the link:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/180513-url-issue/?page=2it doesn't add to the URL.