Skins for IPB

I know that I've mentioned it more than once, and the response I got was that no staffer had the ability to create a skin for the IPB software.  But, when I say I have 2" of wasted screen space, I'm not lying.  And when I say that the white background kills my eyes, I'm also not lying.  I have strong myopia combine with macular degeneration and I'm sensitive to bright lights as well as reflections from glares.  I really need a way to be able to have a darker screen, and preferably a darker background with lighter text (not necessarily colored, just swapping the current scheme around for black and white would be fine).  And in reading up at IPS's site about the features of IPB, it's pretty straightforward that this can be done entirely by GUI, no coding skills required.

See https://invisionpower.com/features/customization for more information.

And, even better,see https://invisionpower.com/search/?q=%22dark+theme%22&type=downloads_file&sortby=relevancy for dark themes.  I like the Carbon one myself, looks classy, but there is a free dark theme on page one of that search made for IPB4....And the vast majority of themes that are not free are under $20. (I don't know if that is per user, per site, or what, but I can find out more information).

Also, see the screenshot for all the wasted space - and see my other new thread (sidebar in activity stream) to see how now my space usage is even less.

MB Forums 14.PNG

Please take these ideas into consideration.  If the full width were to be used then I would not have an issue with streams on the main page, nor in my activity stream.

• Administrators

Thanks for this, @John L. Galt. Really appreciate you sharing your situation.

For now, we are not planning on adjust things like skins or layouts. The main reason for this is we'd like to have a controlled testing environment for all of the issues we're seeings, bugs being shared, features not working, etc. In short, we're trying to cut down on the possible variables.

In the future we can certainly consider this type of change!

How did you work with the old board and the white / lighter colors? Was there something within that version which helped with this?

I really need a way to be able to have a darker screen, and preferably a darker background with lighter text (not necessarily colored, just swapping the current scheme around for black and white would be fine).

+1 this.

Honestly, light/white themes are quite of hurting the eyes. Whenever I have the option to choose a dark skin (preferably black) on a forum, I do. It makes it way easier to browse the forum/site. I do the same in Notepad++, IDEs, etc.

If there's one thing that changed between MBAM Forums IPS3 and IPS4, it's the white touch of the skin, which is way more accentuated now.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Aura said:

+1 this.

Honestly, light/white themes are quite of hurting the eyes. Whenever I have the option to choose a dark skin (preferably black) on a forum, I do. It makes it way easier to browse the forum/site. I do the same in Notepad++, IDEs, etc.

If there's one thing that changed between MBAM Forums IPS3 and IPS4, it's the white touch of the skin, which is way more accentuated now.

+1

We need to get through a few things before we can adjust stuff like this. Please know it's on our list to review.