mbamchameleon failed to obtain file name information

Hello all, 

First of all, sorry for my english which is not very good, as I'm french ... :/

I'm new here and I'm using mbam since a long time as a good antimalware program in addition of an antivirus (currently KIS). Since few days, I'm testing the premium version to better protect my system, before buying it.

But I discovered a big problème this morning : an repetitive error in the system event !  I look for info about it and found some other threads here on the same subject, but all were very old (about one year and moreover about old versions of mbam). So I decided to create my own subject.

I have many many errors in my event system log as there : mbamchameleon - Event ID 61703 (4352)  - Mbamchameleon Failed to obtain file name information - C00000BE (it could be "BE" "D4" or "6D" at the end)

It could be just few per minute or a lot of (more than 50) per second !!!  It's just  unacceptable

I found information about de-activate auto protection system, but first it's not safe to do that, second, it does nothing ! And as the problem is known since several years !! Why does it appear again ? 

I have the latest version of mbam (2.2.1.1043).

Thanks a lot if someone could help me ... 

AK.

Hello kawapoulpe and :welcome:

It is possible that the MBAMChameleon logged events are not too serious.  However, it would be prudent to have the system checked out.  I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

If you would like to get off to a very fast start, the Malware Removal Experts would appreciate it if you would also attach (not copy/paste) both the FRST.txt and the Addition.txt output diagnostic reports from only Log Set 1 into your new topic. Please do not tick, nor untick, any pre-configured FRST categories.

Thank you.

Hello and Welcome!

This could very well be your solution, do you have self Protection enabled?

It may also be that KIS and MBAM are not getting along, perhaps adding mutual exceptions may help.

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 / 8 & 10:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it as well

Hello all, 

Thanks for your advices.
For information, the problem began when I decided to activate premium option 3 days ago.  (I was using mbam for a long time before... )

As I said, yes the self protection is enabled (sorry, I said "auto protection" instead in my first message - my english is not good) and I don't want to disable it (I would like...). I tried to disable it to see, and a little bit later I've seen that messages stop to spam my event log. 

I re-enable self protection, and - immediatly - messages occurs in the event log, several per minutes.
I tried to exclude mbam from my antivirus (Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 v16.0.0.614f) but nothing changed

It is annoying because in one way I make a breach in my protection if I disable self-protection, and in the other way, I have my processor and my disk which are working at all time just for nothing ... And it is spamming my event log so much that it decomes difficult to look for other messages ! (for example if I want to see last login message, I have to scroll a lot of pages instead of few ones !). 

To give an exemple, I have exactly 32472 events of mbamchameleon (ID 61703) betwenn 04/04/2016 at 15h39 and today at 18h48 !!!
(I stoped the self protection at his time. I have restarted self protection tonight, and events occurs again about 100 times in 20 minutes. Finaly, I stoped it again...)

Stopping Self protection is not a good solution !  As the problem is known since a long time  (the message that you mention dates back to 2014 !) I'm very surprised that MB has not already given a solution !

And to reply to 1PW, I'm pretty sure that I am not infected : 
- Kaspersky Internet Security is running with optimized configuration to have a maximum protection
- mbam ran a personnalized analyse with rootkits checked on all my disks and found nothing important : 
     -- found trojan.FakePDF in the software installation of my printer driver (!?! - Xerox softwares ! )
     -- Found Hyena and other administration tools as riskware (Tools I use in my job)
     -- Found "optional productkeyfinder" or "xxpasswordtool" in my security tools folder (same).
     -- Other little things in my software database and that I removed (opencandy in "photoscape" and "AxCrypt"  and Babylon in "unlocker" , softwares I didn't use since a long time and never on this computer). 
- mbam anti-exploit is running,
- I never click on a link in an email...
- Scripts are blocked in my browser by default ... 
- and even ads now ... since I know that cryptovirus can enter by this way if the ads system is infected.
- and I go to internet with precaution

By the way, In my job, I'm sensitized about security. I'm not a novice...  (of course, I can make mistakes like everybody ... )

I ran your (good) tools and had a look to the result. Nothing seems to be wrong. All entries seems to be legitimate (but I can make a mistake... )
Something bothers me ...  There is some personnal information in those log files...  So I prefer avoid using them for the moment...  if it's possible.

So for the moment, the problem is not resolved ... 

Thanks a lot.

AK

14 hours ago, kawapoulpe said:

Stopping Self protection is not a good solution !  As the problem is known since a long time  (the message that you mention dates back to 2014 !) I'm very surprised that MB has not already given a solution !

We will have to let someone from staff weigh in on why this is happening and why its not been addressed.

thanks

I am also having this issue..

not sure if this issue happen on specific system or os  (I am on win10 64bit)

hope this get fixed soon, even this is minor issue that only in event-log and we can safely ignore it

but its not acceptable to let it spaming in events

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am also having this problem and have self protection enabled. What got me to looking at the event log was a blue screen resulting from a Bad Pool Header last night. I found some threads online suggesting that problem was linked to MWB although I have no idea if that is true.

Wonder why no one from MWB has addressed the OP questions regarding this issue? I have used MWB for years and been a premium user for some time. One would hope that it would be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes, I have this issues everyday. McAfee is a default host IPS on my Windows 10 computer. My system runs fine with this information on my System log at Windows 10 Event Viewer because all the data on cpu, memory, disk and network of Task Manager is pretty good. I use ipconfig to check my router and printer which are the only devices in my home network and ensure that they are connected to the correct ISP company's servers. I also configure my router and printer. After these, I give the security duty of my computer to Malwarebytes and McAfee. Actually I see a lot of error messages on different logs on the Event Viewer. Some of the errors could not be answered at the Windows community for over one year.

I re-start my computer once a day at least to re-configure my system. Observing and analyzing the data on Resource Monitor, Task Manager and Event Viewer is my info security work whenever I turn on my computer. I am glad to see the statement of Ron Lewis posted on June 29. The issue should be caused by the conflict between the two mentioned antimalware on my computer.

Any advice for my security prevention of my computer is very welcome.