very slow and weird behavior

Hi.  The computer, winxp sp3,  has been slow and getting slower for maybe 3-4 years.  Antivirus programs have found nothing major except for several instances of something  by AVG free about a year ago.  Then, AVG would not work and it was removed,  Currently  I am using free Avast as the main antivirus and MBAM  for on demand scans.  Panda Cloud Cleaner, Avira PC Cleaner (a cloud cleaner), and MSERT are used at least monthly.  I am attaching frst.txt and addition.txt.  Thank you for your help, Tom  

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Hello and :welcome:

I'm not seeing anything nasty as far as an infection. You basically have a very old computer and have installed, uninstalled, and used it for a long time now so slow down is normal. You could spend many days working on cleaning it up and reducing loading items, etc but in the end it will never be as quick as when you first got it.

What I would possibly suggest is perhaps installing an SSD hard drive and then installing Windows 10 from scratch. Definitely a lot of work but in the end you'll have an up to date modern fully supported Operating System running on a very fast hard drive.

Or if you can't or don't want to go that route then backup all your data and format the drive and reinstall Windows XP and that will restore the speed quite a bit. Make sure you visit the MFG or have the reinstall drivers for the system before proceeding though.

Thank you for looking at the two logs, Rt Ad.  I trust  your analysis and intuition.  I contacted help desk on 4-11-16, as I had gone eight days without a reply, and have been interacting with Julia.  I sent her the two logs you have seen plus JRT.txt, fixlog.txt, and the results of AVG removal.  If you look at this additional information and still have the same recommendations, I will stop my search for malware  on my machine  Julia has been very helpful and proficient.  I  don't want to violate Malwarebytes protocol by having two helpers on my problem. I don't want to step on toes.  It semms to me that I should continue to correspond with Julia until she turns me over to you or reaches a conclusion similar to yours.  Waiting for your response to all of this.  Yours truly, Tom -- tomcat12357.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

No problem, please continue with Julia until she says all is done. I'm just saying that yes you may have minor infection stuff or PUP stuff going on (which she will help you remove) but in the end the speed will very unlikely improve all that much unless she finds something else going on there.

I'll leave your topic open for now. Just post back when you're done

Thanks

Ron

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!