npmaylesby

Google Chrome block with new Trusteer Rapport

This morning all was ok everything working with MBAE on default settings.

Working on pc most of day on and off. (10 hours)..........UNTIL  now while on Chrome tried to open a download word doc and got shut out of chrome by MBAE exactly as at start of all this, at this time Rapport stopped working as well.  

Have had to revert to the previous workaround  for chrome and Rapport working o.k. again.  All o.k. in Firefox.

Chrome version:  50.0.2661.87 m
Rapport Version:  Emerald Build 1609.47
Malware-bytes Anti exploit version: 1.08.1.1195

11 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Question: Have you tried reverting to build 1189?

Assuming that was addressed to me, no, I haven't. Is there a reason for thinking that particular build would be likely to work?

Of course, it's always possible that Rapport's latest update to get it working with Chrome 50 didn't fully solve the Chrome 50 + Rapport problem and that this time MBAE isn't a factor. 

1 hour ago, JHall said:

Assuming that was addressed to me, no, I haven't. Is there a reason for thinking that particular build would be likely to work?

Of course, it's always possible that Rapport's latest update to get it working with Chrome 50 didn't fully solve the Chrome 50 + Rapport problem and that this time MBAE isn't a factor. 

I've now tried reverting to 1189 (having read another thread and discovered that it's the most recent "production" version), still with the two troublesome settings unticked. I'll report back once I've been running Chrome for long enough to tell whether any issues remain.

7 hours ago, JHall said:

I've now tried reverting to 1189 (having read another thread and discovered that it's the most recent "production" version), still with the two troublesome settings unticked. I'll report back once I've been running Chrome for long enough to tell whether any issues remain.

So far so good. Under Windows 7 32-bit, with the Chrome 50, MBAE 1189 with those two troublesome settings unticked, and Rapport, I've had no more instances of Chrome hanging nor any errors reported by MBAE.

4 hours ago, JHall said:

So far so good. Under Windows 7 32-bit, with the Chrome 50, MBAE 1189 with those two troublesome settings unticked, and Rapport, I've had no more instances of Chrome hanging nor any errors reported by MBAE.

OK, so if I understand correctly:

Both builds 1189 and 1195 are required to uncheck both of those previously mentioned settings if you are using Chrome and Rapport, right?

9 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

OK, so if I understand correctly:

Both builds 1189 and 1195 are required to uncheck both of those previously mentioned settings if you are using Chrome and Rapport, right?

I didn't try 1195 with those two settings checked, since as I was having issues even with them unchecked there didn't seem to be much point. At the time of my last post I hadn't tried 1189 with those settings checked, but I've done so now, So far, to my pleasant surprise, with Chrome 50 and the latest update of Rapport, I haven't had any issues except for the one that I reported previously: if I download an executable and then try to run it from within Chrome by clicking on its little tab at the bottom of the window, MBAE comes up with the error "Protection against OS security bypass: Exploit ROP gadget attack blocked" and shuts down Chrome. That's only a minor inconvenience, as I can find the downloaded file in my Downloads folder and run it from there.

I may have spoken too soon. I just noticed that at some point along the way Rapport had stopped working. I tried closing and restarting Chrome, and now Rapport's working again! So I've no idea what is going on.

I didn't have any problems this morning (UK time), but this afternoon I've had more instances of Chrome hanging, even though I've reverted to MBAE 1189. Also sometimes, after loading Chrome, Rapport will be active and sometimes it won't. When it isn't then closing and restarting Chrome doesn't seem to help, but restarting Windows gets Rapport working again. Of course that could well be a problem with the latest version of Rapport as updated to work with Chrome 50, and nothing to do with MBAE. 

Interesting.  So, just to verify, this happens intermittently, and with both 1189 and 1195 installed, correct?

Whoops.  Pedro has announced a new build, 1196 - give that a shot now, will you?

I'm guessing this should apply to everyone in this thread.

3 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Interesting.  So, just to verify, this happens intermittently, and with both 1189 and 1195 installed, correct?

Correct. I find that the Chrome tab that has become unresponsive can be "revived" by clicking the Home-page icon, but of course that returns me to my home page. If I don't do that, then Chrome will note that the tab has become unresponsive and ask if I want to kill it.

I'll try 1196.

After installing build 1196 the best part of 48 hours ago I haven't had any more of those seemingly random freeze-ups, so it looks like it's done the trick. Nor have there been any more instances that I've noticed of Rapport being non-operational. And I haven't even needed to untick those two MBAE settings.

On one occasion when I clicked on a link on a webpage that was supposed to launch Acrobat Reader to display a PDF file, MBAE intervened, reporting an exploit and closing down Chrome. Though that was rather annoying in this instance, as it was a totally trustworthy page, I imagine that it was intended behaviour.

Similarly to JHall, with the latest versions of Chrome and Rapport and MBAE 1196 all initially seemed well. However on downloading PDF and Word files and attempting to open them, I get the exploit error again and Chrome closes.

Also, after a this crash, even restarting Chrome with the MBAE options for Chrome unticked, I can't access the Rapport console. It tries to open but closes before the console actually appears. I end up having to reboot the computer.

The problem isn't solved yet!

Ray

On 26/04/2016 at 6:59 PM, JHall said:

On 30/04/2016 at 6:45 PM, JHall said:

After installing build 1196 the best part of 48 hours ago I haven't had any more of those seemingly random freeze-ups, so it looks like it's done the trick. Nor have there been any more instances that I've noticed of Rapport being non-operational. And I haven't even needed to untick those two MBAE settings.

On one occasion when I clicked on a link on a webpage that was supposed to launch Acrobat Reader to display a PDF file, MBAE intervened, reporting an exploit and closing down Chrome. Though that was rather annoying in this instance, as it was a totally trustworthy page, I imagine that it was intended behaviour.

I spoke too soon. I've had a few instances of Chrome hanging since I posted that, though it seems a lot less frequent than it was. I've noticed that when it happens, there's always a status message being shown from Chrome at the bottom of the window saying "Processing request". Chrome detects that the window has frozen, as after a while it asks me if I want to Kill it or Wait. If I do wait, it doesn't unfreeze, however. In case it's relevant, perhaps I should mention that I'm also running AdBlocker.

Please ignore the first of the two quotes in my message above. By the time I noticed that I'd screwed up, it was too late to edit the message to delete the erroneous quote.

I haven't been here for a while as all behaved well.

After Rapport stalled, I (re-) installed a downloaded version of Rapport and all is amiss again.

Rapport reported as follows:

The following IP addresses were tagged as suspicious. When you access a protected website, Trusteer Endpoint Protection checks the IP address against a list of known good addresses for this website. If the address is not found in the list, Trusteer Endpoint Protection replaces it with a known good address for the website. There is no action you need to take.
  • May 02 2016 01:10: IP address 96.45.82.207 doesn't match Trusteer.

Could this in any way help in solving the problem?

Have fun,

I tried turning off MBAE protection, but I'm still getting occasional Chrome freezes. So it seems that MBAE is not the culprit.

I still can't install Chrome. Is this issue still being looked into?

MBAE for Business - 1.08.2.1045

chrome-mbae-error-2016-05-23.png

Still getting the same warning, but only once or twice a week, and only upon booting up. Chrome tabs no longer freeze.

MBAE v1.08.1.1196, Free Version.

After not using the Chrome browser for several weeks I uninstalled Trusteer Endpoint Protection Rapport 4 weeks ago instead of playing with settings and getting stressed.

I have not had a single issue since then.

I'll give it a few months for Chrome+Malwarebytes+Trusteer to play nice together and maybe try again. My bank worries but that's their issue not mine. I think that I have it covered.

Thanks pbust

That's worked. Just surprised MBAE hadn't updated as I have automatically upgrade to new versions selected.