Sign in to follow this  
anvendarnamn

Possible ransomware iOS

Hi!

I have a customer who clicked a ransomware link in an email on his iPhone. I have dealt with this on computers running Windows but never on an iPhone.

Can someone recommend a scanner or application to run on the iPhone to check if it got infected? Do you have anything else to recommend me to do?

I actually dont think he followed the link far enough to have gotten infected but it would be nice to verify that.

Thanks for reading!

Ransomware does not typically (yet) target mobile operating systems such as iOS, the first reported OS X ransomware was only discovered within the last month or so.  With all of the robust security implemented on the iPhone in iOS I would be extremely doubtful there is ransomware in existence that's written where it's capable of successfully encrypting files on an iOS device...maybe on a jailbroken iPhone of a user that doesn't know what they are doing but still decided to jailbreak but even then it's very doubtful...

I see..

The ones sending out this email did put out a warning about it and mentioned handheld devices as well and since I did see the cryptolocker that was spreading via the application Transmission I thought it was time for the iOS device now also.

I have had like 7-10 customers the last 2-3 months with cryptolockers on machines running Windows now.

Thanks for the quick response! Have a good one!